What's new
World Wide Stereo

Amadeus DIY HighEnd Audio. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.:D

In May of the last year a friend and I, began to see the
possibility to get in to a DYS integral projetc.

The development of the loudspeakers, was in charge of Mikel.
I was in charge of the acoustic improvement of the rooms, the acoustic treatment accesories, racks, stands, etc.

Our first objective was to make a versatile system, that had optimal performance in stereo, home theater and multichannel audio.

Based on audiofile criteria, we decided do that without the active SubWoofers, redirecting the LFE channel for home theater and multichannel audio, to the full range; main channels.

This 5.0(for DTS, DD, and DVD-A), or 6.0(DTS-ES or DD-EX)full range configurations, are based on which each active channel, will be in charge of two designed pieces to operate in joint .

Each full range channel, its conformed by two pieces, a passive SW, and a bookshelf loudspeaker.
The decision to design two separated boxes, was with the aim to facilitate the acoustic optimization of the room.

For the design of the 12”passive subwoofers, we decide to choose a passive radiator configuration, instead of popular bass reflex or vented configs.

Take a look, to some pictures:

The compact passive SW, called TRONADOR. (one 12" driver, and two 12"RPs).

The full size passive SW, called LANIN (one 12" driver, one 12" RP).

The center channel, called Catedral (, two 6” heavy midwoofers, and a ½” super tweeter, all transducers are magnetically shielded)

And finally the compact satellite, called Aconcagua ( one 6” heavy midwoofer, and a ½” super tweeter).

Extra pics:

All the transducers, are maded of polypropylene,and they have high sensitivity ratings, 93dB.

Every box is built with 22mm high density MDF, the 6 faces are 45º assembled, with internal braces, and with the best handmade finishes.

Argentina, has had a long tradition at HIGH END audio, and our idea is to continue it.

I´ll post, some info about the development of accoustics treatment accesories,for our project; next time.;)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
A

Anthony_Gomez

Good luck with the venture!!!...but...

1)it is against forum policy to advertise. Plan on this thread getting locked or deleted
2) you have a fairly wide CTC spacing on the MTM's ..why?
3) The MTM's have the tweeter at a really low position relative to ear level. Why? MTM's have poor vertical dispersion.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Anthony,

I usually bite my tongue but I am done biting my tongue..

One Point #1 I completely agree there is a rule agains free
advertising here. I don't honestly believe that was Andres
intention but rather he wanted to show off his work. But
none the less it does still border on advertising and the
mods will decide what to do with it.

On the other points. Andres didn't come here and ask for
your advice on speaker design. So why then the questioning
nature? This is not the first time I have seen this from you
or from a select group of others. You are not an expert nor
am I nor are most of us (with a few exceptions) we are all
just excited and learning, if we choose to do it the hard
way so be it. But readind the LoudSpeaker Cookbook and
building a couple DIY designs does not make an audio expert
in my opinion (and I am not saying you ever claimed to be)

It's just that a few certain people around here have a very
questioning nature about someone else's designs when they
take it upon themselves to deviate from some magical plan
and then all the sudden it turns into a "Well you could have
done this" and "You should have done that" thread and I
think that's a great way to discourage people from the hobby
and that's the exact opposite from what we all want.

Are his Mids too far away from his Tweeter? They could be...
I don't even claim to know.. But for all you know, for all
I know they may sound absolutely fantastic and I guess if
Andres likes them, and his clients like them. Then isn't
that all that really matters?

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack because I
know you are intelligent and I know how much you contribute
to the forums as a whole. I just think sometimes we need to
take a step back and relax try not to be so clinical and
remember this is about FUN this is about ENJOYMENT not
always about numbers.

Peace! :)

Anthony.

I uploaded the pics trying to show all our DYS models, and its different possible combinations.

Obviously that, there are certain photos that do not correspond with the final distribution of each loudspeaker.

It seems that the tweeter has a fairly wide CTC spacing, because its face plate is small, just that.
We are trying to design an special, and bigger faceplate, made it with foam to controls the tweeter's radiation pattern and acoustic loading properties.

Besides, the distance between the center of the tweeter and the center of the midwoofers, is 5"; this spect is the same that you can find in many others loudspeakers desings from a lot of brands. For example the Acosutic Research C2.

About the MTMs configuration, there are several opinions, but almost all the centers channels in the market use this config, so I dont think that distribution sounds bad.

What´s your idea for a CC?

Thanks Brett for your support.;):emoji_thumbsup:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Andres,

Interesting you would use the AR speakers as reference.
The M-T-M spacing on my AR9's and AR4C is close to what
your design uses. AR does use open celled foam for acoustic
loading and tweeter dispersion. But the imaging on my 9's
is nothing short of spectacular.. (For a mainstream speaker)

A

Anthony_Gomez

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack because I
not at all :) I honestly do like seeing new ventures and I did enjoy looking at the speakers. As I have said before, they inspire me to do other projects.

The reason why I have #2 and 3 was purely inquisitive.
Being a researcher, it is my nature to question things. Most often it is to learn and understand something rather than a critique. For instance, I have learned that 3rd order bessel filters on MTM have the largest horizontal dispersion (I have a nice set of graphs if you are interested in seeing this:)) and that even order filters have the narrowest. With this in mind, I questioned why the tweeter level was so low to ear level. Perhaps the designer had something enlightening up his sleave or not. lets say that I find out it was done for a good reason, than I have one more reason to recommend them to another and visa versa.

As for the CTC spacing, I like to minimize it whenever possible, and those tweeters allow for a much closer spacing. Andres's answer for that works perfectly for me. The small size did decieve my eyes. On a related note, I did listen a handfull of speakers at CES that had large faceplate tweeters with LARGE CTC spacing (over 12")....they didn't sound good to me...When I asked the designer why they had such a wide spacing, I got an around about BS type of answer.

I am just trying to learn here...sometimes I just am very direct:D Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Tony,

It's all good man! I understand now that you was just
curious. It's just that I have seen too many posts that
seem to do nothing but critique rather than give a sense
of constructive critisism. I am not saying you are one of
those people that was never my resolve at all.

I just hope I didn't offend you with that post and I hope
you understood where I was comming from. :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

I understand completely where you are comming from. ...and I can easily see where some of my comments come off as critiques....I assure you that most of the time though, those comments are usually just direct questions to understand something that I either dont understand, or have conflicting "ideas" (ideas=/=absolute truths)

(on a side not, it usually takes a lot to truely offend me;))

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Tony,

I understand what ya mean.... We are inquisitive by nature.
I guess we have to be, how else would we learn (besides
trial and error, and in the case of speaker building more
error than anything probably LOL!) I speak of myself in
that reguard! :)

The best thing about this place (besides the great people)
is the boundless wealth of free knowledge!

Cam S

Screenwriter
Andres, very nice speakers, I love the design of them. They look like they could produce some serious sound!

Also good to see that Brett and Anthony kissed and made up :D

MigueBortolotto

Auditioning
:D Hello.

Thanks Cam, for your commentaries. :D

Antonhy, in fact, that center channel design , is the loudspeaker wich has given the prestige to our DIY projects.

Being full range, and complemented with a dedicated Passive SW, allows us to take the full advantage from DVD-Audio.

Many DVD-Audio send the signal of the electric or acoustic bass, percussion, and effects of voices, throug the central channel loudspeaker.

Not always they are recorded and mixed in the same way, as DVD-Video, where the main voices go towards the central channel , like in DD 5,1, DD-EX 6,1, DTS 5,1 and DTS-ES 6.1.

At the same time, our system looks for optimize its performance based on audiophile criteria.

For that reason, we avoided the use of active subwoofers, and redirecting the LFE (in DTS or AC3 and the .1 channel of the DVD-Audio) to the main loudspeaker´s passive subwoofers...

But also it must be versatile for the Home Cinema, where many users put their center close, above or under the TV screen, with all the magnetic risks that this situation produces.

I agree with you, those who have a projector at his Home Cinema, also, should have the same loudspeakers config for each channel.

Greetings
Miguel Bortolotto

PD: my web page under construction is:
http://condor5411.tripod.com/

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
"He was checking out my butt as I walked away.... "

Please..... Don't flatter yourself! :D

LOL

Migue :emoji_thumbsup:

Hello.:D

How many of us, gives the real importance that the acoustic deserves?

I ask this because, I have been investigating in other forums from Spain, and South America; and saw that very few of us, take this variable, sirusly.

Like I said, I am in charge of, the room acoustic conditioning, and I wrote an article about this theme, wich I´ll translate to post it here, soon.

Now I´m working on an specific QRD diffusor, for the listening room.

Im using EXEL tables for the mathematics calculations.

Good ByeR.;)

Hi.;)

We are back, with some news.:D

We have been working on, two new models.

Here they are.

The two pieces full range tower, and the two pieces full range center.

The full range, 3way tower is composed by, a piramidal satellite, with two tweeters (one on the front, and the other one on de back) and a 6"1/2 midwoofer, on the top;and a passive radiator SubWoofer, with 12" driver, and a 12" RP, on the bottom.

(the flush mount for the midwoofer it is not done yet)

There will be two version of it, one with convetional Xover, and the other designed for biamplification, with an hibryd 3way crossover, an active 18db X-over (3rd order Butterworth), for the low cross(250hz), and a passive for the high cross (4500hz).

These babes are huge, 90lbs, 15"W x 50"H x 16.5"D.
They will be hig gloss black lacquered finished.

We are still working on the center.;)

What do you think?:confused:

A

Anthony_Gomez

I like the mains. very wilson WATT/PUPPYish (which I like). ..not sure about the center though. Good luck!

Anthony.

Yap, Wilson builds great loudspeakers.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ours, have some differences with the WATT/PUPPY system.

“8 Ohms, 95db, two tweeters, 12” woofer, and 12”RP config.”

The Wilson`s, are 4Ohms, 93db, dual 8” woofers .

Besides, we are working on the multiamplification configuration, using active cross over, something like the B&W PRESTIGE NAUTILUS.

ByeR.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks