What's new

ALL STUDIOS, we will not tolerate P & S only! (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
It's gotta be OAR! Only way to watch a movie. I love some movies such as Spies Like Us, but leave them on the retail shelf because they're P&S. Won't buy 'em until I can get 'em in OAR!
------------------
Scott

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to throw in my support for OAR only.
The Matrix, Gladiator, Episode I, the Godfather and Die Hard trilogies - all OAR only, all huge sellers.
If it's the only option, (as it should be since this is how the films were created in the first place), people will accept OAR.

Rolando

Screenwriter
What more could I add?

No Original Aspect Ratio = No Sale

It's simple no? Please stop butchering the picture on these movies. Almost half the movie is missing on some of theses movies whe Pan and Scanned. It is unacceptable.

Please present films as they were intended and we will thank you with our $. Business is business right?

Oh and a priority on "Family" movies so that children can lear at a young age the PROPER way to view movies.

Thank you for your time

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I hope the influence of this faction of DVD buyers will assure a widescreen (at least on one side of the disc) version of the March release Warner has announced for WATERSHIP DOWN...

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
On the subject of dual-format releases, I think that dual-format releases should either be DVD-10 (for bare-bones releases), DVD-14 (for modest-extras releases; two versions of the film on the dual-layer side, the extras on the single-layer side), or the "Shrek approach" (for 2-disc SEs; they could have the P&S and the J6P-oriented extras on one disc, and the WS and film-buff-oriented extras on the other). None of this dual-SKU crap.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Let me just say once again, DVD is supposed to have BOTH formats on the SAME disc- putting out separate versions defeats that purpose because everyone has to make sure they're getting the right one, and of course putting out pan and scan only, period, is just ridiculous.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I am very disappointed by the amount of posts in this thread! COME ON PEOPLE, SPEAK UP!
Their is only 51 responses including mine, and 147 people who viewed this thread at last count, and didn't reply, pathetic! It only takes a second to make yourself heard. PLEASE POST. OAR really WILL be in trouble if we have people who don't even try.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
OAR is an absolute must.
I would also like to say that anamorphic (where applicable) is equally important.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I will not buy open matte, I will not buy pan and scan. The film must be in it's Original Aspect Ratio or I will not purchase it.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
This thread cannot die!!!

Come on people. There are several thousand people on this forum who complain about non-OAR releases but less than sixty who actually replied to this thread! I'm sure that the studio heads at some of the worst offenders (cough, WB, cough) are reading this and thinking "Hmm...why should we cater to this crowd when only 54 people demand OAR?" If you wanna gripe about OAR, do it here. We need this topic to be HUGE so it will be noticed and something done about it.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
For me, NO OAR = NO SALE.

Selling movies P&S does not do them justice at all. Take the time to do the movies in OAR. People like us will by them. J6P who comes over to our places to watch them will get used to the widescreen format and it will grow on him. OAR is the only way to go. I've got a budding dvd collection now. I have, thus far, 53 and growing. Is not putting out movies on OAR worth losing a minimum of $48M annually? ($20 a movie * 40 movies a year * 60,000 people minimum, more likely to be 5 times that number)

OAR or bust!

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I just love brussel sprouts. I love to go the dentist. And I just love Pan and Scan.....

HELL NO ON ALL THE ABOVE.

Though I do admit that there are several films in my DVD collection that are P&S only, they were purchased simply because no other version was available and they had outlived their usage on VHS.

There is nothing that I hate more than a movie that will be released in P&S only, but yet a company will take the time to make sure that the closing credits are letterboxed. It is simply lazy work. Granted, I would want my name attached to a film that I worked on also, but I would also want the film presented in it's true form.

Many studios, by doing the film in P&S only are simply doing a dis-service to several groups. First...the the filmmaker for tampering with his work. Second...the general public for not wanting to educate them about how a film looks when properly presented. And Third...and most importantly, though it may sound selfish, you are doing an awesome disservice to those of us that have made DVD successful for you.

Who will be the big winner in this fight? The studios. Simply in a few years, like others have mentioned, you will have to re-visit the title again because then the P&S buying public will be up in arms about the black bars on the side of their screens now.

Please, don't let films in their AOR fade away. No one is really the winner in the long run. Do it right the first time, please both sides...that is what customer service is all about.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I think this message should be directed to the retailers as well, since many are guilty of not even carrying the OAR version for rental or sale. Look at Blockbuster and their refusal to stock OAR versions of The Grinch, The Mummy Returns, and Cats & Dogs for example.

I have always refused to buy or rent any DVD that does not present the movie in its OAR. If P&S was the only option when buying and renting movies, I simply would not buy or rent movies (I would also wonder why I had been sent to hell). P&S is shows a great disrespect to the work, and destroys the viewing experience. The only place P&S will ever on any TV or Projector I will ever own will in educating people of its evils.

NO OAR = NO SALE, NO RENTAL, NO ANYTHING

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks