What's new

ALL STUDIOS, we will not tolerate P & S only! (1 Viewer)

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
A looong time ago, I saw the Criterian Collection "Blade Runner" in letterbox. Even though it was on a 17' TV, I knew OAR was the way to go and soon after bought my first of three laserdisc players. Even today, two DVD players later, I still don't understand the stupidity of some companies (especially "Warner" :angry: ) for mutilating the home releases of good films in inferior P&P only versions.
I'm doing my part and refusing to buy any disc not in OAR. I would love to give Warner money for "Space Jam" as soon as they release it properly (even the "Special Edition" re-issue is in P&S only!).

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Please add me to the list of those who refuse to buy Pan & Scan releases. I have a 20" television, and I will never go back to pan&scam again. When friends or family rent a pan and scan vhs or dvd, I spend the entire time wondering what I'm missing from the picture, rather than enjoying the film. I have bought about 70 DVDs in the past year, with an extremely long list of DVDs I plan to purchase in the future, and there is no way I will ever allow my hard-earned cash to go towards a chopped-up version of a favorite film.
This past Christmas, my sister was kind enough to buy me the Silence of the Lambs: SE release. Imagine my disapointment when I looked at the packaging closer and noticed it was not the widescreen version. Needless to say, this was immediately exchanged for the widescreen version, which my sister was more than happy to do once she fully understood what pan and scan does to a film.
PLEASE!! This forum, myself included, cannot stress this enough: NO ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO, NO SALE!!! It would be a shame for the potential of DVD to provide the public with the highest of quality releases to be ruined, just because the studios are catering to buyers who have merely not been educated as to why widescreen is the best, no, the ONLY choice for those who have any love for movies whatsoever.
I would like to thank any studios who are taking the time to read this thread, and are working to provide the best possible releases. To those studios who are already releasing widescreen (or OAR for acadamy ratio films or television shows) versions for their library, I would like to give extra thanks for preserving the directors' visions.
Sincerely,
Matthew Cook
P.S. Please keep in mind that whenever I say widescreen only, I mean this for those movies NOT shot in the acadamy ratio. OAR please!!!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I have recently seen a bunch of $5.99 DVD titles, from major studios, at places like Target and WalMart.
Almost invariably these titles are Pan-and-Scan only. :angry:
Seems to me that these titles could lure new buyers to the DVD format, only to set their expectations to the low "cutting off the sides of the picture is OK" level that even selected VHS titles are starting to overcome.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I just dropped a ton of cash on a new LD player so I could own widescreen films that haven't made the transition to DVD yet, even though I could've purchased P&S VHS versions at a fraction of the cost. My humble but growing DVD collection (~60 films and several TV series box sets) has no P&S discs other than the TV shows which were originally broadcast in 1.33:1. I'm also planning on replacing several older DVDs with their newer anamorphic releases (Holy Grail and Tombstone come to mind).

No OAR = No Sale

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I certenlly agree with all of you, but apparently the late Sanley Kubrick prefers pan and scan over widesreen especally for The Shinning and the contriversial Eyes Wide Shut. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I certenlly agree with all of you, but apparently the late Sanley Kubrick prefers pan and scan over widesreen especally for The Shinning and the contriversial Eyes Wide Shut. Does anyone have an opinion on that?
I believe the Shining is originally 1.37 and open matte not P&S, thats the way Kubrick wanted it. I believe Stanley Kubrick preferred the 1.37 format in most cases.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

OAR is OAR whether it is 1.33 or 2.76.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ryan, yes, when were talking about OAR we mean whatever the filmmakers intended, including 1.33:1 films like Kubricks.
OAR does not mean widescreen, it means Original Aspect Ratio.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Bumpity-bump.

With all the hoopla surrounding Disney as of late, I feel that this thread has relevance. Please chime in!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
NO OAR = NOSALE = NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!

Get with the program you studios that release P&S only titles, it's getting old! Do dual discs, dual sided discs, whatever, just don't stiff us on the OAR!!!!!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If it ain't OAR, it don't get my dollar.
I've been buying DVDs for years. Collection is in the hundreds. If a transfer is not done in the OAR, then the disc is not purchased. For example, I would love to have a copy of 1972's The Candidate in my library. I really love the film. But the current DVD is in pan-and-scan only. Ergo, I won't buy it.
Studios: Slight us, the home-theater contingent, and all that new revenue from the uninitiated and uninformed won't seem so great. You will have lost us, the ones who helped DVD take off the way it has.
Serious tradeoff, there.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I'm in with everybody else if it's not OAR I'll never own it no matter how much I wont it....
NO OAR=NO SALE:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks