What's new

ALL MEMBERS: Tell Columbia/TriStar Which Shows YOU WANT released to DVD - Your vote COUNTS! (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

IMDB says Fox: http://us.imdb.com/Companies?0112196; I don't remember ever seeing the polar bear logo after The Tick

Still, there's so much other stuff from Columbia-Tristar I wish they'd included, even if it's all short-run stuff: Action, Big Guy And Rusty The Boy Robot, Cupid, the newer Fantasy Island, and Mercy Point (okay, that's got a potential audience of me). I look at all those 20+ year old properties and wonder what they're thinking; Mary Tyler Moore didn't do well and none of them seem to be as enduring as M*A*S*H.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Voted for Newsradio, The Tick and Dilbert; padded it with Soap and Fantasy Island. Really wished I could have chosen Action!.
Gord was very quick to point out this to me: "That is one of the WORST forms ever and it's going to totally (skew) their results. I just wanted Newsradio, but I was forced to vote for 4 other shows I care nothing about."

And, to make matters worse, there does't seem to be any logging or cookie-ing going on to attempt to ensure anyone votes just once. A VERY unscientific poll!!

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Their poll is flawed since it requires you to list five choies. The data will skew; I only have two I'd buy out the list.

I'd buy Tick in a hot second if it were on the shelf. Hope they follow through and release it, and also have someone put the Animated series on disc also.

Anyone know where to get listings of which studios own which series?

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm a BEWITCHED fan.
And I was pretty amazed that i couldn't find five on
that list that i just "had to have'.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Gord was very quick to point out this to me: "That is one of the WORST forms ever and it's going to totally (skew) their results. I just wanted Newsradio, but I was forced to vote for 4 other shows I care nothing about."
I did at least try to pad it with shows I have some minor interest in - I'd be a lot more interested in Soap than, say, The Facts Of Life.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Um, Designing Women, anyone?

Followed by Bewitched and The Facts of Life. Really didn't see anything else worth voting for, but put down I Dream of Jeannie and The Tick.

I'd buy the first 2 in a heartbeat.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Figures, not a single one I'm interested in.

What do I want?

#1 by far.....Dinosaurs

#2..... Sledge Hammer

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Same thing here. Only wanted Soap and maybe Dilbert but padded out with Just Shoot Me, Newsradio and Benson.

Who has rights to Greatest American Hero and Fall Guy?! Damnitt I really want those. :frowning:
Thanks.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
Dagnabbit, where is the option for season sets of Married...With Children? I'd like to at least know if Columbia is considering it, seeing as 2 compilations are coming out.
Don't worry, MWC in season sets is already a done deal. That's why it's not a choice on the list. Columbia is just milking an obvious cash cow by getting suckers to buy a few "Best Of" discs before releasing season sets. Anyone remember what they did with "Friends"?

Anyway, I voted for "Different Strokes", "Who's The Boss?" and "Silver Spoons".... in season sets ONLY.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Who has rights to "Green Acres"?
According to Tvshowsondvd, MGM has the rights to Green Acres. According to the page at http://us.imdb.com/Companies?0058808 Green Acres was distributed by Orion Pictures Corporation which makes Green Acres property of MGM.

I went to the page at
http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/dvd/tvpoll & I voted for these shows Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Just Shoot Me, The Tick & Soap & I voted from them in A "Full Season" release of the series.

I just hope that other companies such as Fox, Warner, Paramount would set up a site just like Sony is doing to see what we want to see on DVD.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
News Radio and the Tick were the only ones I'd be interested in but I also voted for Soap (whcich I've never been a fan) Dilbert and Bewitched because I know there're a lot of you that want those shows. This is a good move for studios. I just wish they'd do this more often with TV property or catolog titles.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just hope that other companies such as Fox, Warner, Paramount would set up a site just like Sony is doing to see what we want to see on DVD.
TVShowsOnDVD.com already has data from 20,000+ users covering all possible TV Shows anyone cares to request, so why not start there?

Below are the 25 titles from Columbia's polls. Anyone can go to TVShowsOnDVD and look up each one's rankings there, and see that they fall into this order:
  1. Newsradio
  2. Bewitched
  3. Soap
  4. The Partridge Family
  5. The Facts of Life
  6. Who's The Boss
  7. I Dream of Jeannie
  8. The Tick
  9. Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
  10. The Nanny
  11. Barney Miller
  12. Designing Women
  13. Diff'rent Strokes
  14. Just Shoot Me
  15. Hart to Hart
  16. Dilbert
  17. Silver Spoons
  18. Fantasy Island
  19. Maude
  20. Benson
  21. One Day at a Time
  22. V.I.P.
  23. T.J. Hooker
  24. The Flying Nun
  25. Father Knows Best

As for season sets, all but 3 of the above range in the 90%-99% range wanting season sets. Flying Nun only wants season sets 75% of the time. Fantasy Island voters want season sets 80% of the time (me included). At the other end of the spectrum is One Day At A Time, which is at 100% season sets!! :eek: In any case, it clearly shows that season sets are what the customer wants.

I see four of my picks (in boldface) are in the top ten...not bad! :)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
If not scientific in terms of polling, at least Columbia/TriStar will see that people care about certain shows being released and in season sets.

I think "NewsRadio" would be a great seller, and I've been hoping for season sets for quite some time.

The first season is technically only seven episodes, though, so they might choose to combine the first two in one set. Either way, I think this poll bodes well for Dave, Lisa, Bill, Jimmy James, and company. :)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Lorimar properties are now owned by Warner Bros. So requests for THE WALTONS, THUNDERCATS, and other former Lorimar/Telepictures programs go there.

SLEDGE HAMMER, one of the few TV shows produced by the post-Corman New World Pictures, I can't say with certainty who has it. The library was bought by Lakeshore, and they license movies and CRIME STORY to Anchor Bay, so they would seem likely. However, some TV properties were sold off -- GET A LIFE to Columbia TriStar, THE WONDER YEARS to Turner/WB, so someone could have bought it out.

The Paul Henning TV series are a weird situation. While THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, PETTICOAT JUNCTION, and GREEN ACRES were all technically Filmways productions, no one entity owns all the shows. Paramount owns BEVERLY HILLBILLIES through CBS and Viacom, while MGM owns the other two through Orion. However, recently I have seen reruns of GREEN ACRES on TV Land with Paramount's logo at the end, so perhaps the earlier poster's theory about CBS's ownership of the show being asserted is factual.

For a while, Lorimar had been syndicating THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO, but I think those rights have reverted to Stephen J. Cannell. I don't know if he has licensed his wholly-owned titles to anyone yet.

Paramount owns a lot of TV by their acquisition of Republic, Viacom, and CBS. Many Spelling/Goldberg shows, the Quinn Martin properties, PERRY MASON, ANDY GRIFFITH (don't be fooled by those PD collections)...they could practically operate TV Land just on the stuff they control.

Granted, the music clearances guarantee an "almost never," but why hasn't anyone mentioned one of the greatest TV shows ever -- HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET? That would be my dream TV show DVD project.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks