What's new

ALL MEMBERS: Tell Columbia/TriStar Which Shows YOU WANT released to DVD - Your vote COUNTS! (1 Viewer)

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
I had trouble narrowing it down to five. I finally settled on "Just Shoot Me," "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman," "Newsradio," "Benson," and "Bewitched."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Any chance we'll see the eventual results of this poll before anything's officialy announced?
Given Columbia's history of such things, my guess is that the answer is "no". This is just research for them, and the results probably go straight to the files. They don't look at it like American Idol voting results or anything, with a "victor" to be announced.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
[T]he guys at F[ox ]K[ids] prevented Sonnenfeld's guys from using Die Fledermaus and American Maid [in the live action "The Tick"]... .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did they do that?
Presumably, Columbia-TriStar and Sonnenfeld/Josephson didn't want to pay Haim Saban for every episode - since those characters (along with Sewer Urchin and a few others) were created for the animated series, "Fox Kids" owned them, but not the characters who had appeared in the original New England Comics, um, comics.

I gather that Saban is somewhat mercurial. He might very well have wanted an Executive Producer credit of some sort on the live-action series and CTS didn't want the ownership situation to get murky.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I *love* Newsradio! If they release ala Mad About You I'l definately buy it. I nearly bought MaY, which I liked early on.

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Soap for sure!!! Billy Crystal playing a gay son, What more do you want????

Anyone know who owns the rights to WKRP in Cincinnati??

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

As I recall, WKRP has severe rights problems with the music in the show and will probably never be released

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Fox has stated that WKRP has too high a music rights cost, and would therefore likely never see the light of day. Check Peter Staddon's last chat.

Seth_S

Second Unit
The only show on that list that I'd even consider buying if the price was low is "News Radio" (I loved the show, but not really enough to buy it).

Here's what I want which of course isn't on that list: "Married with Children", more "The Larry Sanders Show", "The Critic", and of course, "Seinfeld" (which I'm sure we wont' see for a long, long time).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm glad they're doing this but, like others on this thread, none of these are among my favorites. I voted for I Dream of Jeannie, Diff'rent Strokes, Silver Spoons and two other filler shows. But, I'm not sure I would commit to those. Eh, if I Dream was cheap enough, I probably would. Would much rather have Paramount's Brady Bunch and Universal's Airwolf and Leave it to Beaver.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I have been hoping, praying, waiting intently for Newsradio on DVD for years. It is the only show, in my opinion, that even came close to The Simpsons. I too voted for The Tick basically just in the hopes that it might prompt release of the animated version. I didn't really care for any of the others.

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy Newsradio as soon as it hit the shelf. As for everyone asking for the Critic, it really was a great show, but who owns the rights to it? Didn't it start out on CBS or something before switching over to FOX? So does FOX own the rights to the original season or two that they didn't produce? I'd love to own the Critic, but not if I can't have the show's entire run.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The Critic first aired on ABC, and moved to Fox, but neither network owns the program. Columbia Pictures Television does, although they didn't include it on this survey.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Does anyone know who owns the rights to Get Smart? I want to say Paramount but I'm not sure. That is one show I'd love to own.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I chose as follows:

1) The Tick
2) Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
3) Facts of Life
4) Dilbert
5) Designing Women

I've sent it on to friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks