What's new

Alien-where do you think they came from? (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
There are some fertile imaginations on this forum, let her rip. I love this stuff plus finding speculation on the net is not easy to do.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I think it's bizzare that I watched this film the other day and suddenly there are all these threads regarding Alien/Aliens! The same thing happened to me and some other folks involving Cannibal Holocaust. Some of us must be on some sort of "film cycle."

Anyway, I was sort of thinking of the same thing in regards to origin. Is it possible that the alien ship was carrying the xenomorph eggs for their own "biological weapons division" and some got out killing the giant space pilot and crew? And there is that whole "light layer" covering the eggs that could have been used as a "glass door" at one time and is now useless, but who really knows what that is. Also, who were those giant space men? I really want to hear the ideas of fellow HTF members.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I was sort of thinking of the same thing in regards to
origin. Is it possible that the alien ship was carrying the xenomorph
eggs for their own "biological weapons division" and some got out
killing the giant space pilot and crew? And there is that whole
"light layer" covering the eggs that could have been used as a
"glass door" at one time and is now useless, but who really knows
what that is. Also, who were those giant space men? I really want
to hear the ideas of fellow HTF members.
IIRC, this is exactly what Ridley Scott's idea of it was. I think he mentioned this in his Alien dvd commentary and that he wouldn't mind going back and developing the idea for another sequel. Probably won't ever happen but it sounds like a better idea to me than most I've heard :)

Eric Bass

Second Unit
There was a huge discussion on this awhile back. What Geiger had in mind for the aliens and what was done with them in Alien are quite different. All due respect to Geiger (hope I'm spelling that right) I definately think the biological weapon idea has the most merit considering the Alien's biology.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Which giant spacemen?
When the Nostromo crew are inside the alien space ship they discover the giant crew member sitting in that chair to which there is either a gun, scope, or something to that effect pointed upwards. He/she/it has something attached to him and there is a large hole in the chest cavity where a chestburster... burst out of his chest. Those giant space men. I have always wanted to know what is up with them and why they are so... huge.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Ignoring all the supplemental non-movie material (comics and books), I think the spacefarer was a weapons dealer of some kind. He didn't respect his dangerous cargo and paid the price. I think the laser was some form of security measure, or perhaps as some kind of environmental control. You'll notice that the alien was active when they broke the beam, so maybe it was holding them in stasis until it was broken. I would hope there was some protection to stop them from running amok.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sorry guys, you're all wrong. The aliens were spawned by my last girlfriend... :D

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
All due respect to Geiger (hope I'm spelling that right)...
Well, you didn't! :) It's spelled Giger.
However, I also know that Giger had other things in mind when it comes to the aliens reproduction. In the deleted scenes, you see Dallas and Brett (I think) turn into eggs, and this way every alien would be able to reproduce itself. That idea was also denied with the introduction of the queen in Aliens.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Well let me throw out another theory. Maybe the Aliens were indeed native to LV-426. Maybe the giant spacemen ran across them purely by accident. Maybe the Giant Spacemen from the direlect ship tried to harvest them for what ever reason. (food, slave labor, weapons division, etc.) Some got loose and their ship crash landed while the ship was dusting off.

The giant spaceman's ship does not seem to be designed for transporting these eggs. If you think about it, the Giant spacemans ship seem more like an oil tanker, large volume, single chamber. It is popular to assume the eggs began on the ship then populated the planet but I think it is more plausible that the main nest or colony is elsewhere on LV-426 and the eggs we see on the ship were brought there or laid aboard the ship.

One other thing must be considered. In Aliens during Ripley's "inquisition/trial" there's a lady that reads from a transcipt. She says something like, "...where you encountered a species never observed in contact with over 300 worlds..." or something like that. She is refereing to the Alien not the giant spaceman. I wonder if the giant spaceman was a known species or not. That would tell us a lot but as Mother would say, "Insufficient date to compute"

Here's another wierd thing. Inside the ship there are only eggs in the misted layer with the light curtain. That raises some questions. Many assume this is an incubation area. You can't really tell though. Can the eggs survive outside this curtain? If not, they could still be native to LV-426. Did the giant spacemen build the curtain.? Is the curtain really a form of containment now defunct by powerlosses in the ships other systems? Hard to say.

More questions than answers here but I always thought LV-426 was the Aliens native planet.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Can the eggs survive outside this curtain?
It is possible that they could not. If you remember in Aliens, the xenomorph eggs were also kept in a warm area. This "curtain" could have simulated the right temperature. Could they have been harvested somewhere on the planet? It is possible. And it is also possible that their spreading on the planet is only due to the existence of Hadley's Hope (see: Aliens) in which there is now another environment suitable for the eggs. All it took was Newt's family meddling and to get a Facehugger attached to dear old dad, infecting the rest of the colony; creating a new alien hive. But, who the hell knows?

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Alright guys, now I gotta go back and watch Alien again.

Some of the things I loved were the details on the ships interior. It looked biomechanical. Also the welds on the "steel" (synthetic?) forming the walls looked very common and earthly. Are welding techniques not that different on other worlds? Did no one notice this detail in the production of the film? Or did they just figure well "who's to say what the welds would look like on an alien ship".

Toward the end of the movie did anyone notice that little one man looking helicopter-like vehicle while Lambert is gathering oxygen for the shuttle? It had what appeared to be some type of liquid fueled internal combustion engine. It looked very "out-worldly" and yet very eartly.

That movie was a real joyride for imagination.

We need more Ridley Scott sci-fi flicks.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I think the Aliens would have to be genetically engineered or from a much more hostile environment than the planet where the Nostromo discovered them. Their biology seems to imply that they are the top predator in a very hostile world (most creatures wouldn't evolve with acid-like blood unless there were very specific environmental factors pushing them in that direction). Also, given their life cycle, you would suspect they came from an environment with a very high mortality rate for them, else they would easily overcome the native population.

I think the suggestion that they are a genetically engineered weapon holds a lot of promise. They would make an excellent weapon of mass destruction if they were inserted into an unsuspecting environment. They might very well be a planet killer of sorts, and since they have no technological capabilities, you wouldn't need to worry about them escaping, once you dropped them off on the planet you wished to eliminate.

Kenneth

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
My take on the ship architecture was that it had been modified by the escaped Aliens some time before. A similar procedure had been applied to Hadley's Hope's reactor area by the Aliens. I would expect that the escapees modified the ship after the spacefarer's death and then set out onto LV-426 and died (it had been under months of terraforming by the time the Marines arrive, so it was previously less hospitible). Of course, they could still be in the ship and just hadn't been awakened.

I like the concept that an Alien will spontaneously convert to a Queen if none should be available, in addition to the specialized facehuggers that carry Queens. In that case, the scene in Alien would have worked if they gave enough time and changed the physical makeup of the Alien to show the conversion. Of course, maybe a spontaneous changeover wouldn't result in physical change, but could only generate a small number of eggs, the majority of which I would assume would be Queen eggs so that mass scale implantation could occur afterward.

In that sense, if a soldier Alien is isolated or the remainder of the hive is destroyed, they have the capability of rebuilding the hive by creating a small number of Queen candidates. If I was engineering a very survivable race, I would consider that a wonderful advantage, especially since the death of the Queen is often the death of the entire hive in earth species.

This is a fun thread. Thanks

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I just can't buy into the Aliens as bio-engineered weapons/creatures. To me the Queen fosters their existence as a regular species evolving in nature.

Lets not forget that the aliens are actually very easily destroyed, so they wouldn't be very effective against a large properly armed force. Shit, Ripley wiped out an entire colony all by herself while carrying a kid no less. That doesn't bode well for the "planet killer" theory. The eggs are totally defenseless.

Examine the aliens complete lifecycle. No host, no mature adults. Based on the method of gestation, there can never be more adult aliens in a given evironment than captured host. For example if Hadley's Hope contained 158 people, the total population of adult aliens could never exceed 158, granted you'd have to include all adult aliens there were already present. Send in 1000 Space Marines with state of the art weapons and the alien would be the one "getting their ass kicked out there". Thats another bad combination for a planet killer. If you think about it, the aliens aren't so tough afterall.

Like Ripley & Hicks so intelligently suggested, "Let's just nuke the site from space"

Eric Bass

Second Unit
True but with an unlimited number of eggs if you land 1000 space marines who knows how many of them might fall victim to facehuggers and thus add to the ranks of the enemy? Surely they aren't a weapon of mass destruction, but they would be useful still by getting some into an enemy city where they could set up show in sewers and other out of the way places. Much like cockroaches they would take work to root out and could very well get out of hand unless quickly contained. And it would be very difficult to be sure that you had rooted every last alien and egg out of a city which would leave you open for a second assault.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
The Alien species is aggressive, savage and very tolerant to atomspheric conditions but they are not technically advanced at all. How intelligent they are can not be determined either? They appear to have language but after all is said and done they can only be regarded as primative.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Oh heck, I'll just admit it now rather than watch you guys sit around and try to use your "imaginations."

(deep breath)

(contemplating the reprecussions)

(another deep breath)

The alien originated from my mom. Sorry. I know it's not what we all wanted to hear. But, it was mom. She said Xeno was born 8 years before me, but had to give him up for adoption because she was "too young" and couldn't raise him "on her own." She gave him to "Al" who was actually the skeletal remains of the giant space man the Nostromo crew encountered in the ship. She trusted Al, but apparently he was careless and (according to Mom) "got what was coming to him."

Well, that settles this disscussion. Sorry for the big bummer. Sometimes simplicity answers the complex.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The mere fact that we are even discussing this at all is testimony to the essential flaw in this series: After four films, some sort of explication as to the aliens' planet or origin and their purpose should have occurred.

Had this not blossomed into a franchise, I could have settled for a mystery regarding their origin and purpose after the first two films.

But at four films?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks