What's new

AL: 1st round playoffs (1 Viewer)

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Mike, I agree with your analysis on bringing Koch in. Listening to talk radio here in Minneapolis after the game, there were a lot of people questioning Guardado pitching in the 9th instead of leaving Hawkins in. This after we won the game. Far, far too much hindsight analysis going on out there. I had a feeling it would be a bumpy ride, but you always go with what got you there. Always.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Go Twins!:emoji_thumbsup:
It's so nice have a team that know one thought would amount to much make it to the ALCS. I can't believe it.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well, I guess it's time for an ALCS thread! So what does everyone think? Angels or Twins? They seem to match up pretty good, I think. Both with good pitching, team chemistry, and they're both hot as hell. I'd give a slight edge to the Angels, but then again I felt the A's had an edge also.:D
I'm really looking forward to this series though. I expect it to be really tight.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Twins vs. Angels will be amazing. I can't wait. Anyone want to make any predictions? I think the Angels are on fire and will do some serious damange. They deserve to finally get to the World Series. I grew up in Anaheim and nothing crushed me worse than that game in '86. I was there. Donny Moore, RIP.

Now I just have to deal with a trip to California with all my Angel-fan relatives. Boogers.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Anybody find it funny that this thread has over 100 posts while the comparable NL thread has less than 30? Just goes to show you how polarized everybody is regarding the Yankees and just what compelling stories the three small market teams are/were (Anaheim, Minnesota, Oakland).

Lloyd Mann

Auditioning
I'll be in the Metrodome for the tomorrows game, as I was for the Division series. You really have to be there to appreciate how loud it is, I wore earplugs much of the time.
The Twins were not given much of a chance in '87 or '91 either, and look what happened! ;) ;) ;)
-Lloyd

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Anaheim's a small market? They're not that far from L.A., are they? (Of course, the Phillies get labeled as small-market, too)

I think it's the upsets and New York being involved. The Big Apple casts a large shadow, and I'll bet no-one predicted a Twins-Angels ALCS.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I was referring to payroll size. Twins are 27th out of 31 teams. Oakland was 22nd. Anaheim is 15th. None of them are even close to the top 10. In fact, the only team remaining with a payroll in the top 10 is Atlanta at #7. In the last 10 years, there hasn't been a team outside of the top 10 that has won the World Series, so if any team OTHER than Atlanta wins it this year, you will be viewing a little bit of history.

LewB

Screenwriter

Speaking of Selig, Is that hair of his real or a rug ? Either way, I'd love to see him get doused (preferably by a Twin). Then we'll know the truth, once and for all. Mentioning his name along with some of the other commissioners (Landis, Giamatti) is an insult to the departed as well as to the sport.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
with the way the Angels are playing right now the twins surly have to keep up their hot hitting and defense.
That Francisco Rodriguez in Anaheim is awesome! He should be a starter soon with all those K's and he's only 20 years old.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
If the Cards are CURRENTLY #9 it is only from midseason aquisitions possibly combined with other teams dumping salary. As I've said time and again, midseason additions and subtractions do not reflect true payroll advantages because such changes are tied DIRECTLY to the success the team has with its OPENING DAY PAYROLL.

For example, had the Yanks gone 20-65 and proceeded to trade off Clemens, Mussina, etc, etc till their payroll fell from $125m to $40m, would everyone say that the Yanks losing was an example of a LOW PAYROLL not being able to compete. After all, they would end the season with that $40m payroll and a losing record, right?

Of course not. The only reason the payroll would be decreased would be to cut costs on a team that was out of it. Its normal business, not the same as the "small market" issue (which is itself crazy since every city except NY, part of LA (not ANH) and ATL are "small".

Anyway, enough of that point. With that in mind, San Fran was the 10th highest opening payroll (source CNN SI). They are the highest opening payroll left. Cards were 13th, Angels were 15th. Twins were 27th.

Since it bugs people let's recap.

Top 10 opening day payrolls.

6 did not make the postseason. (60%)
3 were eliminated in the first round. (30%)
1 is still alive (10%)

Bottom 5 payrolls
3 did not make the postseason (60%)
1 was eliminate in the first round (20%)
1 is still alive (20%)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks