AL: 1st round playoffs (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yankees Fans,
Let's give credit to a team that took it to our team and beat them soundly. To those that gloat over the Yanks loss, so be it and I wish you well. To my fellow Yankees fans, keep the faith because there will be changes and they will be back at it again in 2003.

Crawdaddy

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I think many more people would agree with the thought that not being able to handle defeat with dignity is one of the truest definitions of bad sportsmanship and is almost the lowest you can go on the class scale.
That's definitely up there, and I've seen some interesting displays of this by Red Sox fans for many, many years. I've also seen some pretty pathetic excuses for graceful defeat by fans of all the teams the Yankees have beaten over the years.
:)
However, I do believe that bandwagonning sports fans are insanely annoying. Especially those that become sudden gloaters in the moment of "their" triumph. Ugh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Patrick,
Handling victory without class is much lower in my book because you have the advantage of having won and you can afford to be magnanimous in how you deal with those that lost due to the victor's lack of disappointment. In either case, enjoy yourself while you're able to do so.

Crawdaddy

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Yankees Fans,
Let's give credit to a team that took it to our team and beat them soundly. To those that gloat over the Yanks loss, so be it and I wish you well. To my fellow Yankees fans, keep the faith because there will be changes and they will be back at it again in 2003.
I agree. Very disappointed with the way the Yanks played but have to give the Angels credit. Any Yankee fan knows that their pitching is better than this. Although I expected the Yanks to win due to post-season experience, I also expected the Angels to give the Yanks a hard time. They always have. Even in 98 when the Yanks won 114 games, the Angels were the only team (I believe) to win the season series vs. the Yanks.

Oh well, I would like to see the Angels go to the Series vs. the Cards.

Hey Crawdaddy, any ideas on how the Yanks can improve themselves next year without increasing the payroll?

Angel

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I expect some changes in the pitching staff. It's a little too long in the tooth and with all their post-season experience, it didn't mean a thing this year, so why stay with the same old pitchers? I also expect a different look in the outfield with a more significant role with some young players such as Juan Rivera and Nick Johnson and perhaps a Japanese import name of Matsui in right field.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hmm...looks like I was too pessimistic in thinking it'd take 5 games for the Angels to dispatch the Yankees. But I'm glad to see some fresh blood getting further in the playoffs, it's good for baseball in general (well, except for me being a "homer" for the Braves, but that's another thread).

Congrats to the Angels for surviving that home run barrage in game 1, and making enough adjustments to beat the perennial playoff winning machine.

LewB

Screenwriter
Congrats to the Angels, they took it to us in a big way ! It was a much deserved victory. Can't believe I was still holding on to hope in the 7th when the Yanks loaded the bases. I figured that we'd sneak back somehow and get a chance to play another game in the Bronx. Oh well, I guess Mystique and Destiny decided to stay on the left coast.
Go Twinkies (Contract this!)

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
My happiness about the Yankees being eliminated this year has nothing to do with hatred for the team. It's strictly based on knowing that Giambi will be watching the World Series at home this year.

Of course it would have been poetic justice if the A's would have eliminated them, then gone on to win the World Series without him, but I'll take it happening at the hands of the Angels with no complaints.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,
Handling victory without class is much lower in my book because you have the advantage of having won and you can afford to be magnanimous in how you deal with those that lost due to the victor's lack of disappointment. In either case, enjoy yourself while you're able to do so.
Robert,
I think you can lighten up a little with the attitude, I agree with you one hundred percent, that is why I originally wrote that not being able to handle "defeat with dignity is one of the truest definitions of bad sportsmanship and is almost the lowest you can go on the class scale."
By the way if you were really honest with yourself you would know that historically Yankees' fans are notoriously known as bad winners. That's not saying all of them are but the stereotype is alive and well for a reason.
If you need proof just simply go and do a search on this very forum from last year and you will find many post gloating about the Yankees win in last year's ALCS.
As far as this year goes, what I'm really happy about is that new blood has advanced. That is something any true baseball fan would agree is good for the game.
FYI: My earlier post with the "Da Yankees lose" was poking fun at the ridiculous Yankees' announcer who is continually being made fun of by the nation media, unfortunately in retrospect I can see how you could take it wrong.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick,
I think you're the one that needs to lighten up with the attitude. I have no problem with you talking smack to Yankees fans, but I do have a problem when you implied that Yankees fans are poor losers with bad sportsmanship. Are there Yankees fans who fit that category? Sure there is just like there are some fans of every sports team that fit the same category. Just yesterday, I had to lock another thread because some we're trying to paint fans from a certain city and state with a wide brush.

Crawdaddy

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I never implied that all Yankees' fans are poor losers and if you think I did then you really need to go a read my post again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick,
I've read your post several times and I still came up with the same interpretation. Anyhow, I've said my piece on the matter and now my complete focus is on keeping the peace in this thread.

Crawdaddy

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Damn, who am I gonna root against now? :frowning: ;)
Oh well, there's always Atlanta. :)
Evan (Bitter, long-suffering Philadelphia/Los Angeles fan)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I am especially happy for A's fans getting to watch Giambi end up no better off than he was before
Tino Martinez seems to be in the same situation too. :D
As far as the rally monkey post, I happen to like the little critter, so nyah! :p) I am glad to see the Angels win over the Yanks though, it's kind of a David vs Goliath thing going on there.
For the Yankees, I really haven't seen much support for them, at least as not as much as I did last year during the WS (with exception to Seth, he sticks by 'em). Maybe it's the whole bad taste left in everyone's mouths after the AS tie and threats of strike. I can certainly see that having an effect on fans of all teams.
How about the back-and-forth war going on between the A's and Twins?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
That's not saying all of them are but the stereotype is alive and well for a reason.
Explain this statement in any other terms than what it explicitly says...
STEREOTYPE - a standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group.
In this case that image is "bad losers" and the group is Yankee fans.
And you said this stereotype is alive and well for a reason.
There is no interpretation in play here because your words are clear and explicit. You believe there is a reason that Yankee fans in general are regarded as bad losers, and that reason can only be that most or all of them are (according to you).
Qualifying by saying that "not all of them are" doesn't make it okay.
Hey, people that say things like you are stupid jerks. Well, not all of them.
Yeah, that does sound okay after all, doesn't it. :angry:
Not only that, but 2 of the biggest Yanks fans at the HTF came right in and totally supported the Angels in their win SANS excuses to undermine the Angels accomplishment. Kinda contradicts the stereotype.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
How can the Yanks cut payroll and get better? Um, I'd say those things aren't different, if you catch my drift. ;)
Have I mentioned lately that I hate Clemens being a Yankee, or that the Mondesi thing was a waste, or that the Weaver trade was a bum deal (can we get Lilly and his salary back). I respect Mussina, but really I never wanted him.
Part of my opinion on such things (as silly as it may sound at first) is that WINNERS WIN and LOSERS LOSE, despite regular season stats. The Yanks have slowly acquired several guys that got it handed to them BY THE YANKS while they were the star on the other team. How does making them a Yankee star alter that? IMO, it doesn't and it caught up with them.
I know Wells and Pettite had bad games too, and Giambi didn't "fail". But Jeter had the .500 average and higher SLG, Bernie also had a higher SLG. It just felt like the Yanks took that superstar squad of 98, like a sailing ship, and kept picking up the weight of (aging) stars that wanted a piece of the winning until the team sunk under that weight.
How many rings does Mussina have? What did Clemens do so special in 99? How many times has Giambi been past the first round?
Why do these things happen to guys? I don't know. But it does seem odd when Tino goes to the Cards and they win by magic and Giambi comes to the Yanks and they go out like the 2001 A's (worse actually). Just like the Weaver thing and how he seems stuck on losing methods. I'm sure for every example there is a counter, but it still feels like a real phenomenon. If you are buying talent, make sure its a proven WINNER, not just a stat stuffer. And spend a few years letting it grow together.
To be honest, I think a LOT of it is chemistry. And the Yanks core kept being diluted by outsiders being added all the time. I think it's why most "money" teams that win are teams that spent money REHIRING talent rather than buying up a squad. Not unlike the D'backs who needed a year for Curt to fit in and for the team to finally gel.
To be honest, it really sucked not have Tino and Pauly to root for this year, especially in the post season.
Anyway, as I said, I like the other 3 AL squads quite a bit (remember that Torii Hunter was my pre-game All-Star MVP guess for example). And Garret Anderson is tied with Bernie and Ichy as my 3 favorite hitters, period. You know, on the chemistry thing, these other teams have tons of it. Remember the trade deadline moves they all made...exactly.
Just look at the Angels from 2000-2002
Anderson
Glaus
Salmon
Erstad
Kennedy
Molina
Spiezio
Eckstein (2001 rook)
Wooten
Schoeneweis
Ortiz
Washburn
Weber
Percival
Levine
Pote
Rooks
Lackey
Donnelly
Shields
Rodriguez
That's a team that has been allowed to play into form and for young talent to ease into the roster. They only added Appier and Sele to replace Rapp and Valdes (who replaced Hill and Bottenfield). They've grown 3 SPs (Washburn, Ortiz, Schoe.) and a bullpen (including the closer).
I'm not surprised they are winners.
A's are similar though not nearly as much (we all know the rotation). The key offensive guys have been there awhile - Chavez, Tejada, Hernandez, Long. Dye finally had a full year too. Then you have a guy like Dave Justice. Gee, has he played on some winning teams.
It's also something I think the Cards have going for them, despite adding guys late like Rolen and Finley, the core offense has 3 plus together and the death of Kile had to have a solidifying effect, especially on the pitching staff.
For all the stats in the world, too many games are won by Bucky Dents and Mark Lemkes to rely fully on regular season stats for the post season results.
I still think Cards/Angels.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I am especially happy for A's fans getting to watch Giambi end up no better off than he was before
No better than before? Nahhhh, last year with the A's at least Giambi got to see Game 5. :D
Speaking of Giambi, how can you make THAT much money, and choose to do DEODORANT commercials?!?!? At least A-Rod did Radio Shack ads...a slight step up.
As an A's fan, tomorrow should be really interesting. Hopefully they'll get it done against the Twins. However, at least with the Giambi situation this was pure and sweet justice.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they'll get it done against the Twins. However, at least with the Giambi situation this was pure and sweet justice.
And Mike, you might recall that I was one of the people EXPECTING this Giambi outcome at the BEGINNING of this season. I mean how could the A's have not been favs over the Yanks after the 2001 miracle and that young staff coming back?
Jason can play some high stakes poker with ARod, Hampton, and Kevin Brown at a MLB playoff WATCHING party, eh. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks