What's new

AIW 8500DV question (1 Viewer)

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
I recently installed this video card on my system, but for some reason the wdm capture driver is not installing. Sometimes it is giving me an read memory error on the install. All the ATI website said to do was reinstall the wdm driver, followed by the ATI Display driver. That has not seemed to work. Is this a software problem, or is it possible that the card is bad? I have about 10 days or so to return the card and exchange it for another one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
The WDM drivers followed by the display driver? That's odd. Normally the display driver goes first so that additional software can modify the display driver configuration when necessary.

Try installing the display driver first, then the WDM drivers. If possible, drop to Safe Mode and uninstall allof the drivers before reinstalling.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Patrick: There's a specific install order for all 3 of the drivers, I believe. Check the readme file before installing one of the files to check the order.

I think you have to install the WDM codecs LAST out of the three (the other 2 being the display drivers and the Media Center drivers).

HOPEFULLY that should work :)

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
I will try that order next. The only reason I was doing the wdm first was that was the order the software said when it was doing the pc test. Thanks for the suggestions!

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Well the new order did not work either. It is giving me a memory read error, and that is what worries me...if the memory on the card is bad, then I want to exchange it. Any ideas? My next bad maybe a complete unistall, pull out the card and put it back in and start from scratch

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Where is this "memory read" error coming up? It is in a DLL? A pop-up window? Is there any more detail about it that you can give?

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
It comes up at the end of the install program for the wdm driver. It flashes by really fast, so i have not been able to copy down the exact error. It says it is a memory read error and it is terminating the program. According to the help file, the wdm inf files are not installed, and the wdm is not listed in the registry. Very confusing:frowning:

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Are you installing this card for the first time? If so, skip the drivers and software that came with the card and download the newest at ATI's site. If not, you must first uninstall them and clean out your registry. More info can be found at the Rage3D forums.

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link. I did use the drivers out of the box, but after I got the error I did download the latest from the website. I will do as you suggest, clean out everything from the registry and reinstall everything from scratch. Pain in the butt, but that is the way it goes sometimes.;) Thanks for the link JasenP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks