What's new

AI - specs + cover (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Making of documentary (produced by Laurent Bouzereau); Featurettes on production design, lighting and costumes; In-depth look at the development and creation of the robots, including a visit to Stan Winston Studios; A look at on-set floor effects with effects supervisor Michael Lantieri; Interviews with ILM's Dennis Muren and Scott Farrar about the seamless blending of animation and live action; Interviews with Steven Spielberg, Haley Joel Osment, and Jude Law; A visit to Skywalker Sound with sound designer Gary Rydstrom; A conversation with composer John Williams about scoring AI and his collaboration with Steven Spielberg; Storyboards; Production Drawings; Still Gallery; Trailers.

Release date: 3/5/02

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
If thats the definiaitive artwork I'm over the moon. I absolutely love that poster art and heck, the DVD release sounds absolutely lovely. I'm thrilled there is set to be such supplements as storyboards, production art and picture galleries and I'm still hoping something about the making of the website game is on there somwehere...

Dan (UK)

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator
Nice! Good looking specs. Looking forward to this release, thanks for the early heads up.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I loved this movie. My favorite of the year so far.

But let me be the first to say that this DVD looks to be a great disappointment. I'm vaguely interested in the technical, special effects stuff, but it's the IDEAS in this film and the rather odd nature of the Spielberg/Kubrick "collaboration" that's most interesting to me.

The kind of features that I'd hoped would be included are along the lines of the famous Kubrick/Spielberg facsimiles and the pre-production materials (specifically, the artwork of Chris Baker, which may well be included on this disc), as well as the permutations of the script from the original Brian Aldiss short through the passes taken by Maitland, Clarke, Shaw, and finally Watson. You know, all the reams of material that went into developing the ideas and the story. And I think the episode of the Charlie Rose show that featured Kristian, Jan and Marty Scorsese talking about A.I. and the Kubrick legacy would have been ideal (and Charlie Rose has licensed his show for DVDs of Rushmore and The Sweet Hereafter, so there's certainly precedent).

In other words, I wanted to know about the long gestation of what was intended to be "A Stanley Kubrick Production of a Stephen Spielberg Film", this unique collaboration between two of the giants of cinema.

And, though a small matter, I much prefer the original cover art.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Commentary? No commentary? What is this world coming to?

I'll buy it anyway. I'll get the Super Teddy playset...

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Al:

Hopefully, the entire history of AI's production including Kubrick's involvement will be covered in the documentary. Bouzereau's documentaries are always pretty thorough. (The docs for Taxi Driver, Psycho, and Jaws are good examples.)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Good point, Richard!

And I do enjoy the Bouzereau documentaries, and he does try to interview all the principles - maybe Brian Aldiss and Chris Baker, Jan Harlin and Kristiane Kubrick, Spielberg himself of course - maybe a good, long, feature-length documentary is what's justifying the second disc.

I have renewed hope!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The cover artwork doesn't do much for me. I was hoping for the simple "A.I." silver logo only. But that's not a big deal.
What I really hope to see, was a commentary by a respected film critic. Something like Ebert did for Dark City, or the commentaries on Citizen Kane. I'd prefer just one solid analytical commentary over all the making-of stuff currently planned.
Oh well. At least I'll get the movie :)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Again, I have to say - not a big deal, to be sure - but the original artwork was great and this new artwork looks like every other DVD in the store.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Actually, this is original art, it just isn't the US art. It's from overseas somewhere. England?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Agree with Al, except for the favorite movie part, I'm still undecided on that until I see it and Mulholland Drive again.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Another disappointed fan here... first they cut the WTC footage... now the cover doesn't have the original poster art (which is surprising for a WB/Dreamworks release, right?).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
They've stated repeatedly that the WTC footage has not been alterred in any way. It was just an internet rumor. Probably started right here at HTF with all the "Will they edit this film" threads...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
yeah! I am soo glad to see that Dreamworks is giving this film the treatment it deserves. Expect also to see DTS on the release as Speilberg, to my understanding, still owns a piece of the company. This was my favorite movie of the year and perhaps one of Speilberg's greatest films yet! counting the days :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks