What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ahoy!! Pirates!! (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
The price of the media will fall significantly tho~

100 CDRs is $24 in my area. They were like $5 ea when they first came out.

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
The price of the media will fall significantly tho~

100 CDRs is $24 in my area. They were like $5 ea when they first came out.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I know that copies of dvds are sold on the streets, and elsewhere, and they are bought by those who do buy dvds but don't buy many because they can't afford it.

There are also those who even buy boot legged copies of movies in theaters (which I find to be the most insane thing in the world, but they do). I find some people buy boot legged movies just to brag and say "Oh I've had that movie for about a month before it came out in theaters". I look at them like they're just idiots.

I do believe that there are plenty of people out there (wether my fellow forum members want to believe it or not) that will buy a dvd at a cheaper price no matter how it's being obtained. Rather it's from best buy, or rented from block buster and then burned. They simply don't care, they'd look at us like we were righteous because we abide by the law, and have the mentallity of "well they shouldn't cost so much, if they don't want us to buy copied dvds, lower the price". But it's this type of thinking that causes the rest of us to pay even higher prices.When will it end?

This new dvd media that is becoming available is a blessing and curse, it just makes it even easier to copy movies. And with technology so easily available I think it will have a higher impact than it has in the past, I do believe the studios will do something to counter this. Hopefully it will make HD dvd come out faster or something of the like to help protect their revenue (I can hope can't I :))

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I know that copies of dvds are sold on the streets, and elsewhere, and they are bought by those who do buy dvds but don't buy many because they can't afford it.

There are also those who even buy boot legged copies of movies in theaters (which I find to be the most insane thing in the world, but they do). I find some people buy boot legged movies just to brag and say "Oh I've had that movie for about a month before it came out in theaters". I look at them like they're just idiots.

I do believe that there are plenty of people out there (wether my fellow forum members want to believe it or not) that will buy a dvd at a cheaper price no matter how it's being obtained. Rather it's from best buy, or rented from block buster and then burned. They simply don't care, they'd look at us like we were righteous because we abide by the law, and have the mentallity of "well they shouldn't cost so much, if they don't want us to buy copied dvds, lower the price". But it's this type of thinking that causes the rest of us to pay even higher prices.When will it end?

This new dvd media that is becoming available is a blessing and curse, it just makes it even easier to copy movies. And with technology so easily available I think it will have a higher impact than it has in the past, I do believe the studios will do something to counter this. Hopefully it will make HD dvd come out faster or something of the like to help protect their revenue (I can hope can't I :))

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
Can I ask something off topic?

Will you need to buy a whole new burner for this or can there be some sort of firm ware upgrade?

Ive been transfering all my old video tapes of stuff from tv that is not availble to buy (yet). Anyhow, It would be great if I could cut down the amount of discs im using.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
Can I ask something off topic?

Will you need to buy a whole new burner for this or can there be some sort of firm ware upgrade?

Ive been transfering all my old video tapes of stuff from tv that is not availble to buy (yet). Anyhow, It would be great if I could cut down the amount of discs im using.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
The MPAA may like us all to think we pay more cause of the pirates, but the price of DVDs comes down to one thing, selling a product for the highest price that the average joe will pay. Simple market economics, if there was no piracy, i dont believe they would be any cheaper, however that is not to say that piracy is right, just that in real terms, it doesnt affect pricing. Think about it, if people stopped pirating, are the studios gonna lose money by reducing prices? The amount of piracy has nothing to do with the amount people that buy DVDs are prepared to pay. Piracy is wrong, plain and simple, but if you think DVDs are priced to highly, you should simply stop buying them and if enough people do the same, prices come down.

I don't think there is a lot studios can do to counter piracy with the current DVD format (since the specification is now set in stone), but no doubt they've got big plans for the HD-DVD format.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
The MPAA may like us all to think we pay more cause of the pirates, but the price of DVDs comes down to one thing, selling a product for the highest price that the average joe will pay. Simple market economics, if there was no piracy, i dont believe they would be any cheaper, however that is not to say that piracy is right, just that in real terms, it doesnt affect pricing. Think about it, if people stopped pirating, are the studios gonna lose money by reducing prices? The amount of piracy has nothing to do with the amount people that buy DVDs are prepared to pay. Piracy is wrong, plain and simple, but if you think DVDs are priced to highly, you should simply stop buying them and if enough people do the same, prices come down.

I don't think there is a lot studios can do to counter piracy with the current DVD format (since the specification is now set in stone), but no doubt they've got big plans for the HD-DVD format.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Good point Rodney.

Bryan your not off topic, and that's a good question. To burn these dvds you'll need a new burner, or if your burner already has the two laser's and just needs the firmware to enable it then you'll be cool. But you don't need a new burner to play the dvds, just to write to them.

Here's a nice article on the technology. You have to admire these guys that create this stuff, their simply brilliant.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Good point Rodney.

Bryan your not off topic, and that's a good question. To burn these dvds you'll need a new burner, or if your burner already has the two laser's and just needs the firmware to enable it then you'll be cool. But you don't need a new burner to play the dvds, just to write to them.

Here's a nice article on the technology. You have to admire these guys that create this stuff, their simply brilliant.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think 2 lasers are used, I believe the laser is just refocused to the required layer as needed. People have said that many DVD writers can just be upgraded with new firmware to support dual layer DVD+R. But some manufacturers are saying that the drives arent up to it and not releasing new firmware with this feature, whilst underground groups develop hacked firmware that supports dual layer. So some people may be left with the choice of taking a risk on hacked firmware or just accepting the officially supported features of there drive. Installing unofficial firmware is not somthing anyone should do without really thinking through the implications of it, e.g. may break your drive, invalidates warranty.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think 2 lasers are used, I believe the laser is just refocused to the required layer as needed. People have said that many DVD writers can just be upgraded with new firmware to support dual layer DVD+R. But some manufacturers are saying that the drives arent up to it and not releasing new firmware with this feature, whilst underground groups develop hacked firmware that supports dual layer. So some people may be left with the choice of taking a risk on hacked firmware or just accepting the officially supported features of there drive. Installing unofficial firmware is not somthing anyone should do without really thinking through the implications of it, e.g. may break your drive, invalidates warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks