What's new

Ahoy!! Pirates!! (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
link

Do you think this will affect dvd prices because of the foreseen pirating that will occur from this?

***Disclaimer: This thread is not intended to discuss/promote violation of copyright material, please do not discuss how to duplicate copyright material. This thread is intended to discuss the pros and cons of this new format, not how to use this format for said copyright infringement thank you.***

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for this product. You you know how long it would take to back-up 14 gigabytes of (legal!) MP3's to floppy disks?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yikes, that's a lot of music, what da hell can you do with all that?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yikes, that's a lot of music, what da hell can you do with all that?

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
You may be skating close to the edge on this one, LaMarcus.

Wether the MPAA like it or not is besides the point, no one can do anything about advancing storage technology and it's affects on piracy. And unless technology is being developed for the specific purpose of aiding piracy, no one should try and get in it's way. Studios just have to deal with it, as best as they can.

I don't like the way some people only focus on dual layer DVD+R, as a way to pirate DVDs, when it has so many other usefull legal uses, such as greater backup capacity and compiling your own home videos to a larger disc. Also, i dont think the subject of this thread "ahoy!! Pirates!!" is appropriate for this forum.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
You may be skating close to the edge on this one, LaMarcus.

Wether the MPAA like it or not is besides the point, no one can do anything about advancing storage technology and it's affects on piracy. And unless technology is being developed for the specific purpose of aiding piracy, no one should try and get in it's way. Studios just have to deal with it, as best as they can.

I don't like the way some people only focus on dual layer DVD+R, as a way to pirate DVDs, when it has so many other usefull legal uses, such as greater backup capacity and compiling your own home videos to a larger disc. Also, i dont think the subject of this thread "ahoy!! Pirates!!" is appropriate for this forum.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Dude lighten up, the question and purpose of this thread was to get opinions on how people here think this will affect dvd sales. If it will affect them at all.

Ahoy!! Pirates!! Is just an attention getter and meant in fun only. Obviously it worked, it got you to come. :D

Welcome to the forum by the way.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Dude lighten up, the question and purpose of this thread was to get opinions on how people here think this will affect dvd sales. If it will affect them at all.

Ahoy!! Pirates!! Is just an attention getter and meant in fun only. Obviously it worked, it got you to come. :D

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've always been of the opinion that those who would pirate were less likely to actually buy in the first place. They're always looking for a free ride.

Myself, I've had a DVD burner for a while now, and I know all about the copy programs which bypass CSS and do an awesome job at copying, and I have access to inexpensive DVD-R media.

How many have I pirated? None. I'm not that type of person.

Those whom I know who are, weren't buying them in the first place.

So my thought? Maybe a 10% drop, tops.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've always been of the opinion that those who would pirate were less likely to actually buy in the first place. They're always looking for a free ride.

Myself, I've had a DVD burner for a while now, and I know all about the copy programs which bypass CSS and do an awesome job at copying, and I have access to inexpensive DVD-R media.

How many have I pirated? None. I'm not that type of person.

Those whom I know who are, weren't buying them in the first place.

So my thought? Maybe a 10% drop, tops.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The only justification I can see for making copies is if the disc in question is OUT OF PRINT or if it's some promotional-only issue that isn't available to the general public! If it was out at one time, but I can't buy it now, how else am I going to get it?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The only justification I can see for making copies is if the disc in question is OUT OF PRINT or if it's some promotional-only issue that isn't available to the general public! If it was out at one time, but I can't buy it now, how else am I going to get it?

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Only thing i know for sure, is that no studio exec will ever admit to reducing prices to persuade people to buy an original rather than get a pirated copy. They will usually argue that prices need to be higher to cover the revenue lost due to piracy. So, it's hard to say wether piracy makes DVDs or software cheaper or more expensive. Not a lot of point, discussing it, IMO.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Only thing i know for sure, is that no studio exec will ever admit to reducing prices to persuade people to buy an original rather than get a pirated copy. They will usually argue that prices need to be higher to cover the revenue lost due to piracy. So, it's hard to say wether piracy makes DVDs or software cheaper or more expensive. Not a lot of point, discussing it, IMO.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

You buy a legitimate used copy. OOP does not mean public domain.

As far as pricing is concerned, I doubt this will have any effect on retail. The cost of the original discs insm't the issue, they could be $1 and would still be too expensive for those who are prone to pirating.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

You buy a legitimate used copy. OOP does not mean public domain.

As far as pricing is concerned, I doubt this will have any effect on retail. The cost of the original discs insm't the issue, they could be $1 and would still be too expensive for those who are prone to pirating.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator

I dont believe that, when the price of buying an original is only slightly more than the cost of a blank DVD-R or CD-R, even the most hardened pirate must surely think is it worth the hassle of finding/downloading then burning to disc a pirated copy. If you said even if a new film or game, was priced at $5, then your argument would be more credible, but at a $1 only a fool would still bother with the hassle of piracy. We might not like pirates, but we shouldnt presume there any dumber or value there time less than the average joe.

I think it is fair to say that the price where people prone to piracy would consider buying the retail product would be dirt cheap and unsubstainable for any studio, and so would never be priced that cheaply & would be unreasonable to expect them to. However there are more casual pirates, who will consider buying the product, if it looks cheap enough to them, but would find a pirated copy, if they decided the price was to high. The problem with this, of course, is if there not prepared to pay the price set by the studio, they should do without.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator

I dont believe that, when the price of buying an original is only slightly more than the cost of a blank DVD-R or CD-R, even the most hardened pirate must surely think is it worth the hassle of finding/downloading then burning to disc a pirated copy. If you said even if a new film or game, was priced at $5, then your argument would be more credible, but at a $1 only a fool would still bother with the hassle of piracy. We might not like pirates, but we shouldnt presume there any dumber or value there time less than the average joe.

I think it is fair to say that the price where people prone to piracy would consider buying the retail product would be dirt cheap and unsubstainable for any studio, and so would never be priced that cheaply & would be unreasonable to expect them to. However there are more casual pirates, who will consider buying the product, if it looks cheap enough to them, but would find a pirated copy, if they decided the price was to high. The problem with this, of course, is if there not prepared to pay the price set by the studio, they should do without.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Was I the only one who thought this thread was the movie "Pirates!" with Walter Mathaue?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Was I the only one who thought this thread was the movie "Pirates!" with Walter Mathaue?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks