What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After Hours is a memorable, one-of-a-kind black comic farce from Martin Scorsese.

After Hours (1985)

Released: 11 Oct 1985
Rated: R
Runtime: 97 min

Director: Martin Scorsese
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama

Cast: Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, Verna Bloom
Writer(s): Joseph Minion

Plot: An ordinary word processor has the worst night of his life after he agrees to visit a girl in Soho he met that evening at a coffee shop.

IMDB rating: 7.6
MetaScore: 90

Disc Information

Studio: Criterion
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: English PCM 1.0 (Mono)

Subtitles: English SDH
Rating: R...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
"The Look of After Hours" piece pointed out several fun Easter eggs, particularly in the costume design that I had never noted (in some cases they were likely not visible before, at least in SD resolution).

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks Matt for the great review. I was living in Soho at the time the film was shot, so I'm sure this will bring back memories. BTW, the scene with Robert Pluncket, if my memory is correct, was filmed at a neo-Colonial bank on Broadway and Howard Street with strange, maze-like shrubbery out of The Shining, which Ada Louise Huxtable, the estimable architecture critic for the New York Times, thought was the worst building in New York City, which made it a whole lot funnier.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I agree with the review - I finally got round to seeing this again and my opinion of it has soared, since I saw it twice upon theatrical release in 1985. Back then, it just felt to me like a demonstration of all the technical tricks Scorsese was able to show off, but this time round I really enjoyed the acting, particularly Griffin Dunne. Amazing how different SoHo is now - in the film it looks like one of those really dangerous cities, you'd never go walking out at night in. I now think this is one of Scorsese's most enjoyable films - I was laughing all the way through it. The 4K UHD is also one of the best Criterion has released transfer-wise. It looked fabulous projected; no small feat, for something filmed in low-light situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks