What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: After Hours (1985) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The list of confirmed 5.1 tracks prior to the release of Batman Returns is relatively small:

Superman: The Movie (first ever)
Apocalypse Now
The Jazz Singer
Pink Floyd The Wall
Superman II
Supergirl
Return to Oz
The Black Cauldron
Top Gun
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Dick Tracy
Days of Thunder
The Doors (CDS 35mm)
Terminator 2 Judgment Day
Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country (first to be mastered in Dolby Digital as a test)
Hook
The Rocketeer
Newsies (see Star Trek VI)
Shining Through
Alien 3

Just 20 titles over 13 years compared to over a hundred mixed 4.1. I've always wondered why it didn't catch on.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Just 20 titles over 13 years compared to over a hundred mixed 4.1. I've always wondered why it didn't catch on.
Probably because the subway fare went up at midnight, they didn't have exact change and their $20 bill flew out the window of the taxi.

Just trying to bring the discussion back around to After Hours. ;)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
When I watched this for the first time I was expecting a typical 80's "teen" sex comedy. I guess I hadn't done any research beforehand. Also, I wasn't following Directors then so I had no idea who Martin Scorsese was. I remember very little of the film today - that's how memorable it was for me haha. I'm definitely interested in a revisit and what better time to do so that via a fresh 4K scan.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
When I watched this for the first time I was expecting a typical 80's "teen" sex comedy. I guess I hadn't done any research beforehand. Also, I wasn't following Directors then so I had no idea who Martin Scorsese was. I remember very little of the film today - that's how memorable it was for me haha. I'm definitely interested in a revisit and what better time to do so that via a fresh 4K scan.
I haven’t seen it in years, but the most memorable thing about it is the sympathy I felt for Griffin Dunne’s character.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
1985 was the year I graduated from high school. I recall seeing this with friends back then at the cinema and we loved it so much we went to see it 4 or 5 times. I still love this picture and find it a really fun film from Scorsese's resume.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The two theatre companies I worked for back during the Dolby Stereo beginnings only installed Dolby in the biggest screen. It wasn’t until the early 90’s that all screens were retrofitted or installed during construction with some type of stereo.

Side note: our head film buyer talked one of our partners into installing Dolby in this wonderful single screen theatre for the release of Urban Cowboy. He ended up with egg on his face when it wasn’t released in Stereo. Those early 80’s to the early 90’s was an evolving period for digital stereo sound.
I grew up near a small city [~50 000] where Famous Players had a monopoly on the screens in town. Only two screens out of 5 [not including the drive-in, which remained open until the mid 80s] had Dolby Stereo [one downtown and the other in a mall on the edge of town, which celebrated the installation with a booking of Zeffirelli's La Traviata in 1983]. When Cineplex Odeon came to town with a 6 screen multiplex and all screens Dolby Stereo capable, that was 1988. Now, the same city has a Cineplex near-monopoly with a 10 screen multiplex [same location, but expanded], and a discount theatre with 7 screens, all of which are stereo in at least one of the accpeted formats. Plus ca change, plus la meme chose.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
This will be controversial, but this is my favorite Scorsese film. I think his best so far (other than one specific scene) is The Irishman, but I can’t watch this film enough. It hits my comedy bone in the sweet spot, has all the visual Scorsese trademarks I love, and (for me) still deals with all the deeper subtexts that are trademarks to his narrative films; albeit in much smaller doses. I can’t freaking wait to get this!!!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
This will be controversial, but this is my favorite Scorsese film. I think his best so far (other than one specific scene) is The Irishman, but I can’t watch this film enough. It hits my comedy bone in the sweet spot, has all the visual Scorsese trademarks I love, and (for me) still deals with all the deeper subtexts that are trademarks to his narrative films; albeit in much smaller doses. I can’t freaking wait to get this!!!
It's not my fave Scorsese but other than that, I agree with everything you wrote ! It's singular, crystalline and perfect and I wish he made more films like this - smaller scaled and more intimate. And like TAXI DRIVER, it also documents forever a New York City that no longer exists.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Probably my favorite Scorsese film.
SO MANY films have copied it.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Agreed, other than that part about The Irishman being Scorsese's best.

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Probably my favorite Scorsese film.
SO MANY films have copied it.
For me, Scorsese's After Hours (1985) and Demme's Something Wild (1986) are a subgenre. Each film's lead character experiences The Odyssey in a Tom Wolfe-ified NYC (and NJ). The "actual" Tom Wolfe Bonfire of the Vanities would screen a few years later in 1990 courtesy of yet another film school geek, Brian DePalma, even starring Something Wild's Melanie Griffith. But I don't include it in my subgenre with the other two, though I've not figured out why.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks