After all the brouhaha, Andrea Thompson quits CNN?!?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

NY Times Link
    Geez.... She even apparently boosted ratings. The day when Fox runs the most popular news network is a sad day for TV journalism.

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Bring back Lynne Russel!
    I don't understnad the fixation over FOX News's ratings. At best their ratings are minsicule compared to broadcast TV News or even NPR. Remember 5 times more people get their news from Dan Rather alone than from FOX & CNN combined! [​IMG]

3. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    *sigh* [​IMG]

4. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I heard last night fro a friend who has a brother that works at CNN and is sorta friends with her that she was asked by CNN to quit since she was making too many demands.

6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Craig: I agree. The CNN remake is horrific. They tried to jazz up a Bloomberg terminal and failed miserably. Thankfully CNN.com remains unscathed.

Steve: Point taken on the competition issue. I agree it's a good thing. However, Fox's "news as entertainment" approach is a step back for journalism. Entertainment needs to be .. well .. entertaining. And news often isn't. A true news story provides no spin, no opinion, no controvery ... only facts. Today, everyone wants to sensationalize every news story which leads to people being tried in the court of public opinion long before it's appropriate.

The problem is that news by itself doesn't make money. It's a huge money pitt. So, the networks try to spice it up in order to fuel their profits. The general public, in the end, loses out. We saw it in the last presidential election when all the broadcasters based their initial FL decision on a single, joint polling entity (multiple polling organizations would cost more money). We're seeing it again in the form of consolidation among overseas operations. What happens if Geraldo makes a mistake and feeds that mistake to CNN, ABC, NBC, and CBS .. just like what happened in FL? There will be no "second opinion" that can confirm or deny a given story.

It's a shame.

8. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

I admit that I prefer Fox News, but my first source of news is CNN.com. I check the website about 5 times a day. CNN is still usually first with breaking news around the world and the website is very easy to navigate.