What's new

After all the brouhaha, Andrea Thompson quits CNN?!?! (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Bring back Lynne Russel!
I don't understnad the fixation over FOX News's ratings. At best their ratings are minsicule compared to broadcast TV News or even NPR. Remember 5 times more people get their news from Dan Rather alone than from FOX & CNN combined! :)

Craig_T

Second Unit
The day when Fox runs the most popular news network is a sad day for TV journalism.
The day when people actually watch that sensory overload, Headline News clutterscreen crap is an even sadder one. It looks like some MTV total request viewer on acid designed that garbage.

Headline News has to be the worst channel makeover since TNN's squish the image for our worthless black bar bullshit.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I heard last night fro a friend who has a brother that works at CNN and is sorta friends with her that she was asked by CNN to quit since she was making too many demands.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
The day when Fox runs the most popular news network is a sad day for TV journalism.
What do you mean? They should be applauded for bringing much needed competition to the former cable news monopoly known as CNN. A large part of the Fox News success is that they have provided a more balanced perspective and a more entertaining approach on their news delivery rather than spinning the news to further their agenda (IMO).

Finally, Fox News has brought in a new viewer audience such as myself who would never sit around and watch the stiff and boring CNN approach. Now that it is out with the old and in with the new, maybe I'll give CNN a second look now.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Craig: I agree. The CNN remake is horrific. They tried to jazz up a Bloomberg terminal and failed miserably. Thankfully CNN.com remains unscathed.

Steve: Point taken on the competition issue. I agree it's a good thing. However, Fox's "news as entertainment" approach is a step back for journalism. Entertainment needs to be .. well .. entertaining. And news often isn't. A true news story provides no spin, no opinion, no controvery ... only facts. Today, everyone wants to sensationalize every news story which leads to people being tried in the court of public opinion long before it's appropriate.

The problem is that news by itself doesn't make money. It's a huge money pitt. So, the networks try to spice it up in order to fuel their profits. The general public, in the end, loses out. We saw it in the last presidential election when all the broadcasters based their initial FL decision on a single, joint polling entity (multiple polling organizations would cost more money). We're seeing it again in the form of consolidation among overseas operations. What happens if Geraldo makes a mistake and feeds that mistake to CNN, ABC, NBC, and CBS .. just like what happened in FL? There will be no "second opinion" that can confirm or deny a given story.

It's a shame.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
I admit that I prefer Fox News, but my first source of news is CNN.com. I check the website about 5 times a day. CNN is still usually first with breaking news around the world and the website is very easy to navigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks