1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on a minisystem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Chandler, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Andrew Chandler

I've decided to get a basic, 2 channel system for my bedroom just to listen to CDs and radio. I know there are a lot of mini systems out there that are cheap and that look nice, but do any of them sound decent? I don't want to spend over $450 really.

Any advice on minisystems? Or do you think it would be better to get a used stereo receiver and some decent speakers? Thanks.

Andrew

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A receiver, CD player, and speakers is going to sound better. A minisystem will be more convenient. It's your choice. Personally I have a 5.1 Dolby Digital system in the bedroom. :b So I guess I'm not good for advice. You can find older minisystems for ridiculous places at clearing houses like www.electronicsemall.com and other places.

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

The quality of the sound is something you have to evaluate. For our bedroom system, my wife and I agreed on a Sony 3-CD changer. We bought it as a floor model at Circuit City for $135 (the first time I ever bought any kind of CC floor model). For what we want, it's fine: plays CDs, some radio stations (antenna isn't that great, but we live in a terrible area for reception) plus it has one set of analog inputs that I have used to hook our television audio out, so we have more of a movie experience watching regular TV or DVDs in our room.

I'm not a big Sony fan, but at least for mini systems, which don't seem to vary much from brand to brand, the Sonys do the job and look nice as a bonus.