What's new

Advice needed: surround type/placement (1 Viewer)

SidH

Agent
I am upgrading my home theater system from 5.1 to 6.1, and plan on upgrading the speakers (Energy Take 5's) as well.

The problem: The listening position is a couch right up against the rear wall. The side walls are 3 feet away from each side of the couch. For various reasons (esp. WAF), the surrounds must be mounted at least eight feet up from the floor. The ceiling is 11 feet high.

I am planning to get DefTech Promonitor 100's for the fronts to go with my new Yamaha RX-V3200 receiver. Usage for music vs. movies is about 50/50.

If I was able to mount the side surrounds lower (6-7 ft.), I would go for something like Polk F/X300's that can be switched between bipole and dipole operation. But at 8 ft. high, I'm afraid the higher frequencies would be largely lost.

Or maybe I could go with three direct radiators (Promonitor 100's or 80's). Maybe mount them all up on the rear wall, with the side surrounds aimed at the side walls and the center rear surround pointed up to the ceiling.

A third option would be to get three speakers designed for inside corner mounting (Boston Acoustics Bravos) and put them symmetrically across the rear wall at the ceiling junction.

Yikes, what to do?

Sid

P.S. Marty it's all your fault

SidH

Agent
Yeah, OK, my prose is too prolix.... but come on, I need some help here!

Thanks in advance,

Sid

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks