What's new

Advice for old TV and HT (1 Viewer)

Todd Henry

Second Unit
The TV that I have is a Sharp 27 inch but the only inputs 1 video and 1 audio on the front. I am looking to purchase my first HT, receiver, 5 speaker, DVD changer for ~750-1000. I have DirecTV and may get DirecTIVO. What features should I focus on in the receiver to get the most, if I don't want to buy a brand new TV? I would assume to connect the DVD player and DirecTV into the receiver and then the receiver to the TV?

This has been a great resource to help research the receiver, speakers and DVD players that I might be interested in.

Thanks for the help.

Todd

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If there's only one set of inputs on the TV, then you'll want to make sure that the receiver has enough inputs, and the right mix of inputs, to accommodate all of your components, both present and future. This is most important for the video input, since you'll probably be routing the audio through the receiver directly to the new speakers (skipping the TV).
Question: Is the video input on the TV composite (which takes an RCA plug) or will it take S-video? If it only takes composite, you should be aware that you'll be sacrificing some of the video quality from certain components (notably DVD and TiVo, and I think also DirectTV, which I don't have). That doesn't mean you plan isn't workable; it's just a limitation to keep in mind.
On a related subject: Remember that many receivers will not allow you to mix and match S-video and composite signal paths. So if your TV only has a composite input, you'll probably need to use composite connections from all of the components, even if they offer S-video.
M.

Todd Henry

Second Unit
Thanks for the answer. It looks like one thing I am going to need to look for are lots of inputs/outputs.

It isn't S-video. I takes one red and one white cable.

Todd

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
It sounds like you will need a receiver with Composite Video output (yellow RCA style plug) and enough inputs for all of your video sources.
The red and white inputs are for right and left audio, but you will get much better sound by ignoring these inputs on your TV and using your receiver and speakers.
If you plan on adding to your system and building it up over time, you may want to invest more in the speakers than in the receiver or DVD player. For your current TV, you should be able to get an entry-level interlaced player for less than $150. An entry-level receiver should be in the $200-300 range. That leaves you with enough money to get a decent 5 speaker package or separates.You can do a search for speakers, but the JBL NSP-1 (INFO) package may be good for you.
-Chris

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
agreed.

i'd look for a flexible receiver. since you're tv only has one video input, you'll really get the most by running all your audio & video sources to the receiver first.

then you'll run one composite video cable from the "video monitor out" plug on your receiver to the video input plug on your tv. basically, you'll turn your tv into a monitor.

this is how i have my setup and i find it very easy to switch all my sources from the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks