What's new

Advanced Audio Codecs via HDMI only? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Sorry if it sounded like I was declaring that the particular problem you were experiencing was due to the spec-issues with processing of audio on advanced discs. I meant to suggest that the source of the level change might be due to the processing issues being discussed over at AVS. My fervor for talking about those problems was more of an effort to raise awareness about them so that, like trying to motivate BD manufactures to incorporate advanced audio decoding, interested audiophiles can get that important issue on their radar to help push HD DVD manufaturers to offer a "bypass" for unnecessary processing of audio on advanced-authored discs.

It's great that the particular problem you found with level issues was due to a setting that could be quickly fixed in a menu selection. No arguement abou that here! I know that there have also been similar issues with the PS3 where its default was applying dynamic-range compression on DD in certain cases and the fix was similar... you had to know about the problem to go in and change the setting.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that advanced-authored HD DVDs currently require additional signal processing the HD DVD player that would be best left defeatable by an audiophile listener. Hopefully the discussion over at AVS by many audiophile enthusiasts has helped Amir and Toshiba realize that providing a purer signal path with less processing should be a design goal for future players (even if those issues haven't turned out to be the source of the level problem you were having in this particular case).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks