What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part IV (1 Viewer)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Woo:

Cool! I think I'm going to try and finish off Dai-Guard and Excel Saga this month. My 'on deck' to get list is getting a little skimpy, and I need to add some of new series that are coming out.

John.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Watched my copy of Patlabor WXIII (also known as Patlabor 3: The Movie ) and was mildly disappointed. For the name, there wasn't that much of Special Unit 2 in action. I also thought the plot needed to be tightened up a bit. It didn't help that most things were telegraphed miles away.

On the good side of things, it looks beautiful. There is some great animation work here. Too bad it isn't a better film.

Jason

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ah, just finished watching the first season/series of Princess Tutu in my anime club. Wow, this series rocks yo! :) You all must watch it!

Not only is it light & comical, but it's dark and despairing and eats right into you.

Forget that it's about ballet and has ballet elements, once you watch it, it will get you addicted. Story is so twisted, it feels like someone twisted a fork into your liver.

It's that good now. :) Wow, and at first I was on the fence with the series, but now having finished the series. I'm hooked and can't wait for 2nd season/series to start.

Definitely a must see by all true otakus of anime. :)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Jason Birzer:

I would agree that it is NOT like the two previous Patlabor Movies, but this was still pretty good in its own right.

Did you get just the movie or the ULTIMATE EDITION? The Ultimate Edition has a making of that is quite good as well as... Mini-Pato - one of the cutest, silliest, and uniquely animated features with the loveable Special Vehicles Unit 2 cast... Watch for the little pup that represents Mamoru Oshii. Watching Mini-Pato really reminds you of just how much dedidation these animators have for the show that they create. If you have just the movie, sell it and get the Ultimate Edition. Mini-Pato alone is worth it for itself alone...

Also get the 4 disc Patlabor TV boxset and Patlabor TV #5 as well if you really enjoy the series. The slower pace of the TV series gives us a chance to look at the SVU2's wonderful characters even more....

JohnAD:

You don't want to know the size of my want list for anime. ;) Not enough money or time - Currently, my anime titles (counting boxed sets just once) stands at something like 270. My want list is at least 40 items with a good number of those being series that I would like to get.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Did you get just the movie or the ULTIMATE EDITION?
Just the movie. It is what was on sale at Suncoast during the last triple points weekend, so I made a blind purchase. Tho the "mini-Pato" thing sounds cute, it doesn't seem worth the price for an Ultimate Edition for a movie I didn't care that much for.

Jason

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Jason:

You are missing out, I say... :)

To all:

Might as well say it here for those who are interested in a good action series...

Rurouni Kenshin is a powerful feared assasin who has vowed not to kill. Now he will face his greatest challenge in his old "haunt" of Kyoto, where his successor seeks to sow the chaos that was the Bakumatsu. The successor's name is Shishio Makoto.... with his elite assasin team called teh Juppongatana, he seeks to conquer Japan and the world. And Kenshin and his friends are all that stand in the way....

Thus begins the popular fan favorite arc of Rurouni Kenshin's Kyoto Arc, which airs starting today on Toonami (Cartoon Network's action/anime block for teens and younger) at 6:30 pm. DON'T MISS IT!!!

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Woo:

That's about where I am on my want list. I've got about 163 anime DVDs (out of 468), so I've got a bit of a way to catch up with you :).

John.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Just a reminder- MSN Dollars is running untill 6/15, so if you purchase stuff through circuitcity.com (they have a decent anime selection) it's 20% back (up to $100 MSN dollars total).

Some of the stuff is pretty fairly priced too w/free ship. I wait for most of my DVDs to show up at Columbia House, but they don't carry much anime.If anyone sees some good deals at CC, could they post it? Other than Noir pre-order I'm at a loss.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Well, Kong is a certifiable anime nut. ;)

I consider myself to have a "mild" case of "otaku-itis". :b I have over 650 DVDs (again, boxed sets once). I am SERIOUSLY in need of those thinpak cases so recommended by Chris Beveridge, as my storage options are getting - limited. Just too lazy to get off my butt and get the necessary tools to switch over.

Currently, I have an excel spreadsheet with a chart by msrp ... the anime msrp is much higher and accounts for a little less than half my collection.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Hahahahahaha,

One of these days, I'll finish off my dvdaficianado list of anime R1 and R2 I have, when I find the time, then you can see how much anime I have. :P

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ooh, the picture for the boxset of the newly remastered R2 DVDs of Neon Genesis Evangelion is out already. :) It's so drool-worthy. Very symbolic box, I say, for those in the know. :)

Has a very biblical book look to it (like what a Dead Sea Scroll bound together should look), encased in a blood red shell...symbolic to the EoE movie. :) (For those in the know). :)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Let's see, before getting involved in the anime talk here at HTF, I only had Princess Mononoke and Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust on dvd. Since getting more into these threads, I have picked up:

Fist of the North Star volume 1
Spirited Away
X
volumes 1-5 with the box
Berserk volume 1 with the box
Rahxephon volumes 1 & 2 with the box
Boogiepop Phantom special box (thanks Rob:))

There's still so much I want to get as well. 10th Anniversary Ninja Scroll, the rest of Berserk, and Neon Genesis Evangelion probably top the list. Noir, Serial Experiment Lain, Hellsing, and Escaflowne are also on that list. My wife (not a fan) and my wallet offer you many thanks :D.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
James Kiang:

Welcome... to the Dark Side.... MUAHAHAHA

*snorts*

*chuckles evilly (only to choke on his own spit)*

*recovers*

:D :D :D :D

Kong, stop enticing me with such droolworthy (and definitely credit card debt inducing) goodies like that - even for a series I don't appreciate that much...

James, the more you see and show your Significant other (as an activity that both of you can enjoy), the more chance that she will come to support this expensive hobby (albeit not as expensive BY FAR as getting Region 2's the way Kong has...). This is conversion, and it can be entertaining and pleasant for all involved (unlike religious conversion, but that is not allowed here.... besides who wants to ruin a forum with that stuff?? :wink: )

The other thing is that I am nutty enough to marathon dvds and be comfortable with it. If you are not, or your Significant Other is not, then squeeze an episode of a show here and there, and let her see the show only if she is interested (sort of like getting a cat to come to you - curiosity on their end drives them to it).

Remember: Do or do not. There is no try....

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
James:

The only cure is to buy more :).

Kong:

Nice box, but it will probably never grace my shelves. It would've been better (for me) if that sort of treatment could've happened to a series that I didn't already have.

Tony:

You'll have to get in line behind me :). Seriously though, buying disks in 1s and 2s will soon add up.

John.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Err. That's one lovely looking box. :eek:
I want!

Heh, as of February of this year I had precisely three Anime DVD's. GitS, Akira & Mononoke Hime.

I kept meaning to get more but simply hadn't.

Now I have all 6 Cowboy Bebops, the Escaflowne Box, Everything Miyazaki has done (that is on DVD, all in R2), You're Under Arrest Boxes 1 & 2 and the available parts of the GitS:Stand Alone Complex series on R2 DVD.

Honestly, give it a while and it's likely to overwhelm even my Chanbera and Hong Kong Action flick collection!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks