What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part V (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to Advanced Anime Discussion Part V!

If you are new to anime, and want to know where to start out or what to watch, then check out our sister thread, Novice Anime Discussion Part I!

Need some recommendations on what to watch from the knowledgeable otakus of HTF? Then check out The Official HTF Anime Recommendations List!

And now without further ado, I am proud to present...AAD: PART V!

Continue on with the discussion from Part IV!

HAHAH! I BEAT YOU, ROB! I broke the rules, but I still win! :D

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
LOL!

No need to take a dig at Rob, the poor soul has had no internet access for a few days, and seesm raring to go

That said, I have finished Kimagure Orange Road TV and it is a very well written and done series focusing on JHS life and romance. Highly recommended for those looking for an older series. Subbed only, though.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Heh... it's fine Tony. It really didn't bother me as much as you think :D

Next time I get to start it though ;)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Continuing from the previous thread:

Someone asked about Reign. I just have the first DVD, and I can't say it got me too excited to see more. Not that I think what I saw was all that bad, but I think there are more compelling series to collect right now. I actually kinda like Chung's style, but this didn't blow me away.

On Haibane Renmei, it is interesting so far. The Ghibli heads might like it more than others, since there is a sense of wonder in it so far. We'll see where it goes from here. I've heard that there is still plenty of mystery left at the end...

Jason

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
My fiancee, ahem, *cough* previewed Haibane and really liked it (I watched the 1st ep with her, seemed OK). We would have it right now, but for some problems with her order from Rightstuf. She's gonna make me watch it the day it comes in, I'm sure.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Today I'll be picking up the first volume of Ninja Scroll (TV series) from Best Buy. S-Cry-Ed volume 2 also comes out but I'll probably have to wait til Friday on that one.

Did watch the first couple of episodes of Chobits. Very entertaining, though my wife would see it as the epitomy of all the negative things she thinks of anime - and it doesn't even show/do anything (yet, at least) :).

Eric F

Screenwriter
Reign isn't that expensive so I might give it a shot anyways. $40 for the box doesn't seem to bad.

I have so much stuff I have to watch it will be a long while before I get around to it. I pick up stuff as I go.:D

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone! Kinda been on the fence with anime for a while, I love it and everything but I'm a jobless student who can't afford any :frowning:
But it was my birthday last week which means I've FINALLY watched through Evangelion and tomorrow comes the final disc of Cowboy Bebop! Does this make me advanced? I hope so! I really gotta scrounge up some dough quick though, that His And Hers Circumstances box is calling!!!
Um, haven't really got anything to say except hello. Oh and FLCL is the greatest thing ever :)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Self-Destructive Pattern in 1 week! Woohoo! :D

Heh! Less money for anime! Oh well, Spineshank is so much better than anime... :crazy:

Don't worry, I'll still get plenty of anime this year... :)

Hey Earl! Welcome to my world™ That is freaky! You are just like me right now!

1. You have been on the fence with anime for a while.
2. You love it and everything.
3. You are a jobless student who can't afford any.
4. Your birthday was last week.

Wow, Earl is basically a carbon copy of me when it comes to anime. Or am I a carbon copy of him?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I am a carbon copy of you, because you were born two years earlier. But who is the better person? Me, obviously! ;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I like Rob's new sig pic. A fields with gold with pretty girls. lol :)

I think I'll pick up Volume 2 of Raxephon as soon as Sept 30th rolls around.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey All:

Sorry I haven't posted recently, but I've been really busy. My internet is ok :), but today is my anniversary (#3!), so I was spending time with my wife. Being that it's also DVD Day (TM), I picked up a few: All-Purpose Cultural Cat-Girl Nuku Nuku, eX-Driver Perfect Collection, Full Metal Panic Vol. 3, and Love Hina Again.

Earl:

I think you get to the advanced stage when you've purchased so many anime disks that your wallet jumps out of your pants and tries to strangle you. It's not a pretty sight.

Michael:

Well, I have to let you have the easy ones, otherwise you'll get frustrated :). I can't wait to pick up Love Hina #14, GTO #14, and Battle Royale #3 next week, before they 'officially' come out :).

John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Oh man... I am back. I have concluded that not having the internet for a week SUCKS :D

Not much this week... but some of my Pioneer stuff finally shipping (Ai Yori Aoshi 4, Cardcaptor Sakura #4 [before #2 and #3, of course *sweatdrop*], and CCS: The Movie) along with 2 CCS GNs from the Tokyopop sale.

Hey, anybody got some webspace where I can host my signature image? My site apparently got sick of my damned remote-linking (cheap bastiches). It's only 4.5KB... heh.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
:frowning: I finished Cowboy Bebop today!
I bet you all love it but to be honest I found it kinda..... disapointing!
I knew way in advance that the show was episodic and that the characters seemed to 'reset' at the start of each episode and that there was no character development but none of this sounded a problem to me and I thought it would have been perfect coming off the back of Evangelion, but as I was going through the last disc and it was all coming to the end I realised that I absolutely did not care about what was going to happen to these characters.
In The Real Folk Blues when {BIG spoiler}
Julia gets shot

I was just like, "Oh well," and I felt no emotion but compared to when Asuka dies in End Of Evangelion

I was completely stunned! It sorta felt like I wanted to cry!
After being desperate to see Bebop for a loooong time, I don't feel it was worth it. A few episodes are amazing though and some are damn near perfect {Asteroid Blues, Waltz For Venus, Mushroom Samba} but overall as a series it definitely disapointed me. Anybody agree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks