What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion - Anime Fans' Discussion (1 Viewer)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Ian,
That seems ridiculously low. Especially since I paid over $200 for all 8 of my DVD's (only 3 of them have the chrome covers). I don't know if I'll be happy for all those other people who get to enjoy the series for much cheaper than they normally would, or if I'm going to be upset that I had to pay so much more :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, but Joe, just think how long you've had to enjoy it already! Thankfully I know there's a Bebop box coming so I won't be tempted to get those early.
Well, El Hazard is on its way, though I lost out on a Blue Seed auction yesterday, and still can't order at Express.
As for Akira, it was good, but I don't see what all the fuss was about. Perhaps it's just not my style.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
OK,
Up till now this thread has pretty much consisted of listings of "good" anime and "terrible" anime. I'm going out on a limb here and asking people for recommendations of "guilty pleasure" anime. Ones that are highly entertaining for what they are, but not necessarily classics. These can be, "so good it's bad" or even just "popcorn" anime.
One of my favorites is ANGEL COP. Yes, it's all been done before. Yes, one of the main characters resembles Gene Simmons without the makeup. Yes, there's gratuitous violence. Still, I can't help but enjoy it. As a bonus, all six OVA episodes are available on one DVD and even on one VHS, if you're so inclined. Worth watching just for the S&G's of it.
Another favorite is GOLGO 13: THE PROFESSIONAL. Never have I seen a more mysongynistic, violent, mindless film in my life. Saying that, I loved every minute of it. It's just sooooo over the top. The animation is stylish, if not particularly fluid. The story is fun. Duke Togo kicks ass! Need I say more?
Any other "guilty pleasures" I should pick up? Help a guy in need of a fix, folks!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Depends what makes you guilty. :)
------------------

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,
I'm one of those people that are waiting for the boxset. I did buy the first disc and liked it...and was about to buy the other seven when the boxset was announced. I thought...hmmm, buy the next seven discs now or wait and pay the same price and buy the boxset when it comes out. Needless to say, I sold the first disc and am waiting for the boxset...though waiting is hard. :)
------------------

Martin G

Second Unit
Project A-ko is a great "guilty pleasure" anime. I was made during the 80's. Its full of cheesy synthesized music and lots of references to popular anime's of the time. It even has a colonel Sanders scene. The basic plot revolves around two girls (A-ko and B-ko) fighting for C-ko's friendship. It is a 4 part OAV series released on two DVD's. There is also a 2 part VS OAV that has the same basic characters (A-ko, C-ko, and B-ko), but the plot and setting is completely different.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Some anime shows have scenes that are guilty pleasures. Evangelion has some great battle scenes where the Eva's are being ripped apart and there's blood and death everywhere. There are episodes where the character Misato says there is some fanservice, which is pretty much her bending over wearing tight shorts. I guess that could be considered a guilty pleasure. I personally love the Angel fights, especially the ones where the main characters start freaking out, like in episode 23 with Asuka, or the whole Eva Unit-03 incident with Shinji.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Jeff wrote:
Zardoz said:
This is an odd phenomenon in modern culture. I'll go to used bookstores and see only volume 3 of a 5-volume series. I was actually given book 2 in a series as a present once!
The aforementioned RMD has lots of holes in their anime series DVDs. They'll have Volumes 3, 5, and 6 of something. Their claim is that they orderd the whole series, but only received 3, 5 and 6 when it was shipped. But, that then brings up the question - why would the distributor only have 3, 5 and 6 ??
confused.gif

I can understand if there are many used copies of Volume One of a series, or a shortage of new copies of Volume One, from people trying the series and not liking it, but it makes no sense that there would be any difference in any subsequent volumes...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Re: Akira
I'm not saying I hated it, just that with all the hype I expected something I didn't get, or maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind while watching it. I'm kind of craving silly anime right now, so that could be why I wasn't as receptive as I might have been otherwise. Agent Aika looks good... don't think I'll have to do too much brainwork on that one! :)
------------------

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Morgan,
Easy on the Evangelion semi-spoilers :) Those are kind of borderline. Remember, not everyone here has seen the series. By the way, that Shinji scene you mentioned was my absolute favorite of the entire series!
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sorry bout that. I'm trying not to give away specifics, but kinda go on the edge.
My favorite scene from Evangelion is probably the big event in episode 23. I liked the last two episodes a lot, especially episode 24. Its just the style of them i guess.
I love Evangelion.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
For those of you who know Paul Champagne and his beautiful piece of box artwork for DVDs will know that he has made some for anime DVDs. :) According to his site, he is in negotiations with Bandai Entertainment USA to create the Cowboy Bebop box, but using a different art than he originally had. Paul is also in negotiations with another "unnamed" studio for THREE (3) boxsets...hmm, does that sound familiar? :) :) :) Yes, the rumor is that Paul may be in negotiations with Pioneer Animation USA to create the boxsets for the three series that Pioneer is planning on releasing the end of the year with boxes. So, that should be cool. :) They look really sweet. One of the boxes has been sent to Japan for approval. :)
----
As for Angel Sanctuary, the manga is really good. I don't know about anyone else...but I enjoy Earthian the manga, which is a really good manga series by Kouga Yun (in addition to her other series, Tale of Genji, both of which she never finished because she decided to retire from manga drawing all together sometime in the mid-90's). Anyway, I'm just seeing if anyone else has seen it besides Chris Beveridge.
----
Guilty pleasure anime for me would be Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, which is based off the CLAMP short manga series of the same name. It is so funny, I just die with laughter. It is not out on DVD, but ADV has the rights to it. But maybe you guys will enjoy it when you get to watch it. :)
OOh, another guilty pleasure is Aika, just gotta love fan-service! :)
[Edited last by Kong Chang on August 05, 2001 at 11:51 PM]

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
A very few of the many things he said did have some merit, but he just seems to be a bit too narrow-minded and pompous. The following statement he made was my personal favorite
rolleyes.gif

quote: Based on this, the "Japanese Animation" category seems designed only to allow someone to feel part of a special group of people doing something special. As I stated earlier - "Many US Anime fans view it as an opportunity to be different from Joe Average, and thus watching an imported Region 2 DVD in Japanese audio makes such a person feel important."[/quote]
But what the hell, people like that make the world an interesting place :) At least there were a few people with sense over there, namely Raithen and Ghym.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

[Edited last by Joe_C on August 06, 2001 at 03:47 AM]

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Joe,
By that quote, it proves to show that HepDude thinks he is almighty, when in reality, he doesn't know anything specifically, but in generalizations about the people who are anime fans or who appreciate anime.
*sigh*
He does lurk on this forum.
But if he talks, he be a troll, so you can just ignore his trollish antics and way-of-talking.
K.C.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I bought PERFECT BLUE last night because I had heard that it was quite good and I was in the mood for something a little different. The film was fine. It had and okay storyline and kept me interested all the way through. Not one of my favorites, though. I'll probably sell it.
Anyway, my question is this: Why make an animated film of a story that could have been done just as well, if not better, live action? IMO, the animation didn't really add anything to the movie. When I watch an animated film, I want to see something that can't be done with live action. That doesn't mean that there have to be giant robots or monsters. It can be something as simple as extravagant art direction or character design. I just want some reason to look at it and say, "They could never do that with live action. That's
Art." I just didn't feel that way with PERFECT BLUE.
Like I said, not a bad film, by any means; just unnecessary.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Anyway, my question is this: Why make an animated film of a story that could have been done just as well, if not better, live action?
Why not?
I mean, why does anime have to be limited to what isn't posible in live action? If that was the rule, we'd be seeing a lot less animation for live action nowadays, because what is possible is greater than it used to be.
As for Perfect Blue, I had heard that it was oringinally supposed to be a live action film. I don't know why they went animated. As it is, I think it is a fine film and I enjoyed it a lot.
Jason
------------------
My DVD Collection

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I think the reason why Perfect Blue did so well in Japan, and over here is because the fact that this is the first of its kind in the psycho-thriller genre. It's like Serial Experiments Lain with its pseudo-reality-like storyplot, or Record of Lodoss War with the D&D-style fantasy (albeit Lain did not do so hot in the ratings mostly because it was aired in Japan at around 1AM in the morning).
For in Japan, psycho-thrillers are usually all live-action (and most of them are just bad). Taking it into an animated piece, makes it unique and different, which anime hasn't really dipped itself into much. I expect with the boost of popularity that Perfect Blue has garnered, there may be more psycho-thriller animes out there. For example, Boogiepop Phantom, created by the same production team as Lain, is a psycho-thriller/horror genre TV series. And I do expect more and more psycho-thriller to be produced for anime.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mean to dis the film, I think PB was well done and better than a lot of live-action thillers I've seen. I guess I was just hoping for more in the design department. It would have been cheaper for them to film it with live actors, I would think. Maybe not. Anyway, anyone wanna buy a used copy? Only viewed once! :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that paying real actors and doing take after take is more expensive than making an anime. That may be why they did it animated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks