What's new

Neon Genesis Evagelion ?? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kaji was working for SEELE against NERV as a double agent. NERV found out that he was working against them and getting info for someone else, so they killed him.
Lets see

SEELE creates NERV and NERV is supposed to be SEELE's tool to implement INSTRUMENTALITY, but Kaji who is working for SEELE to keep an eye on NERV (SEELE's tool) is discovered to be working for NERV's parent organization SEELE, so NERV has Kaji, an operative of the parent organization, killed.

SEELE and NERV are somehow now working at cross purposes to each other. Both organizations want to implement instrumentality but somewhere along the lines the goal of instrumentality changes for each organization. That change involves Gendo Ikari. SEELE suspects a conspiracy going on involving Gendo Ikari, but thanks to the outstanding story-telling you never actually find out what that conspiracy is or how Gendo is involved because the whole thing is thrown out with the bath water in the last two episodes.

There are several points you raised that I will concur with, especially those regarding Shinji Ikari's relationships with many of the main characters. I still think that a lot of points you raised were not fully evident within the series and only came about from sitting around with other "fans", after the fact, and trying to fill in the "blanks". I continue to think that there is another source of information -other than just the series/movies- that you are using to "explain" the nature of the "angels".

It has been an interesting debate and has rekindled enough interest in the series that I may revisit it in the near future. When I have time to watch it again, I may change some of my conclusions......although that is unlikely.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Like my own father, Gendo can only love one person at a time, and that person was Yuki. I get the impression that he cared, on a base level for his son, but that was totally overshadowed by his fervent desire to be with Yuki, which is why Rei is cloned from Yuki and Lilith, and Gendo cares so much for her. His whole hidden agenda is to get the third impact to happen so he'll be reunited with her using Rei. Unfortunately for him Rei has other ideas

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
His whole hidden agenda is to get the third impact to happen so he'll be reunited with her using Rei. Unfortunately for him Rei has other ideas
This only becomes apparent in the movie, that is why I think the TV series, especially the end, is poorly written at times.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The reason why the last 2 episodes are acid trips because Gainax plain ran out of money

The movie ends the way the series would have

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator

I think it's a little from column 'A' and a little from column 'B'

Gainax DID run out of money, and so they did the best they could. Director Anno felt satisfied with how it turned out (didn't Nick Meyer once say that true innovation comes from budgetary constraints?) this is based on his comments at the one and only American anime convention he attended.

End of Evangelion includes a lot of the plot they originally jettisoned, but it also includes a lot of new stuff. Apparently after the TV show wrapped up, Gainax received a lot of death threats from dissatisfied fans.

End of Eva was not directed by Anno personally, but by his right hand man Kazuya Tsurumaki (who, if you've watched his own creation FLCL you'd know is pretty darned talented and bizarre in his own way)

The film sort of works like a monkey's paw, a lot of events on the fanboy wish-list happen on-screen, but play out with the worst possible consequences, and it certainly must be noted that there is a section where the death threat letters are flashed upon the screen in the latter part of the second act.

I'm also a fan of the theory that the TV ending (episodes 25 and 26) and the film ending (episodes 25' and 26') are concurrent, but focus on different aspects of human completion.

My Two Cents

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm also a fan of the theory that the TV ending (episodes 25 and 26) and the film ending (episodes 25' and 26') are concurrent, but focus on different aspects of human completion
Me too. The last two episodes are genious in the way that they force Shinji to look at his own life and decide what he truly wants, even if they don't make any real sense in terms of the rest of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks