What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion - Anime Fans' Discussion (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Many of you might not believe this, but I am reccommending that everyone make a friend who has all 8 Evangelion DVDs so that you can see them, thats how good it is. DigitalEyes.net has all 8 of the discs, and since nobody buys them from there anymore, they may be in stock. This is the one anime series where you care about the characters and you actually feel their emotions. Plus, it changes from mecha combat anime to something out of this world. By the end of the series, you will be depressed, and the whole show will change from what it was in the first few episodes. Watch it as soon as you can. Its excellent.
I know I keep talking about this series, but anyone who has seen it will agree with me. What other anime is one of the most popular in America and Japan and even has 3 of its female characters in the Top 10 sexiest anime women ever (thats a little tidbit I added. I don't know what magazine or whatever made that list, but it exists.)?
All 8 DVDs of Evangelion are out. I have them. If you don't want to wait for them to be available for preorder on a site, get the VHS ones or rent them.
[Edited last by Morgan Jolley on August 03, 2001 at 05:59 PM]

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well, an Akira update for those following the saga:
Local store not only had the tin, they had the ones with the tattoos as well, so this has worked out, though it did cost quite a bit more. At least I have it...
Of course, not without having to get some remastered Judas Priest to go along with it. I knew I should have had someone else go... :)
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I just finished another show. Outlaw Star to be exact. It was very, very good. The characters were all very likeable, which sometimes isn't always the case when portraying antiheroes. The animation was extremely fluid, especially the incredible space battle scenes (which were also very unique). I love singing along with the songs in all my favorite shows (my mom thinks I'm crazy), and the opening is catchy and fits the show perfectly. The ending songs, both of them, and the ending artwork were so beautiful and were a good contrast to the fast-paced intro.
Does anyone know if there's going to be a sequel series or movie? The ending lends itself perfectly to another series, and I must say that I would not mind more episodes with these same characters and their intriguing universe. I know that Angel Links is set in the same universe, but are there any plans for any more shows with the crew of the Outlaw Star as the protaganists?
By the way, Chris Beveridge, I vaguely remember you saying that you were adding this series to your Recommendations List. If so, GOOD CHOICE!! :) That faint recollection is what spurred me to buy it in the first place, sight unseen.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Did you watch it with English or Japanese? I saw some episodes with English fansubs, and it was really good. Something was lost in the translation though, cuz the Cartoon Network version was really bad. Do they still have the 'F' word in every episode? Or was it just the fansub I saw?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
DUAL question: do the copies with clings have a sticker on them, or any indication a cling is included?
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Did you watch it with English or Japanese? I saw some episodes with English fansubs, and it was really good. Something was lost in the translation though, cuz the Cartoon Network version was really bad. Do they still have the 'F' word in every episode? Or was it just the fansub I saw?
While I usually watch shows subbed, if the dub's good I'll watch that. Outlaw Star's dub happened to be very good IMO. I liked Gene's and Melfina's English VA's better than their Japanese VA's. The translation on the episodes I saw in both languages wasn't too bad. I don't remember a whole lot of 'F' words in the dub, but I DO remember a helluva lot of "shit"s :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Morgan wrote:
In a few short months, I have rented every Anime video that my local Schlockbuster carries and have filled my cart at RentMyDVD with Anime.
That's why I can't get anything from RMD !
laugh.gif

Actually, that's not true, they shipped me Lain: Nevi today.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I also am one who enjoys Outlaw Star. It's pretty good series, and there are no plans for a sequel, movie or anything else otherwise. There is the off-shoot series, Angel Links, which is quite fun and adventurous too. :)
----
Jeff Ulmer,
Nothing on the DUAL disc to denote what cling is in what. You just have to buy.
----
Morgan,
The fansub you watched is a translator interpretation. There was not much cussing in Japanese in that series, so it's basically based on translator.
----

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
There is the off-shoot series, Angel Links, which is quite fun and adventurous too.
Are there any cameos from the Outlaw Star characters? I'd love to see more of them, especially if they were in an episode similar to episode 22 (visit to the hot springs). Can you say "fanservice"??
biggrin.gif
Too bad it was cut from Cartoon Network's schedule
wink.gif

------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Why was the CN version of Outlaw Star bad? Well 25 episodes runs for 5 weeks. If they had done it with 1 episode a week, then it would have run longer and been more successful. They cut out the opening, which is pretty good, plus TV has to censor everything, which is why I was suprised it was on TV to begin with. The overall presentation was different than the authentic episodes and didn't seem the same. I didn't get the same rush as I did when I watched the fansub (which had a LOT of the 'F' word, and the other bad words).

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
*sigh*
Went to Best Buy who had every part of Evangelion EXCEPT collection 3!
So, I picked up collection 7. Why? It was 22.99.The other collections were 24.99.
Go figure.
Then I trotted off to Suncoast.
29.99? Nope. Not gonna do it. Why is that place so damned expensive? And how the hell do they stay in business?
Went home, got online, ordered collection 3. Saved some bucks.
Sheesh, and I used to think that shopping was fun.
Hopefully, I'll get a shipping notice Monday. Next weekend is my weekend off. This weekend is my dreaded double shift weekend. 16 hrs Sat, 16 hrs Sun
Looking forward to Monday. I get to sleep then. :)
Do you know how hard it was NOT to open Gasaraki and watch it? I watched LAIN instead. Beautiful series. One of my absolute favorites. Not that I'm an expert in anime you understand. :)
I AM becoming an addict, though.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses on Gasaraki guys. I'm becoming more and more interested in the series.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm really happy to know that there are people out there who don't just watch anime, they watch it in sequential order, whether they get all of its parts that way. I applaud anyone who has the will to watch Evangelion in order, even if they can't find a DVD or two. A friend of mine showed me the series about a two and a half years ago on VHS, and we watched it for 2 days. I saw the whole thing (all 26 episodes) and was kind of in shock. I borrowed his collection and watched them over the summer, then I started to get the DVDs the following spring (took me over a year to do it because of the release dates). But man, was it worth it. I love this series and I love owning it.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Umm, why would anyone watch anime series' out of order? That's would be pretty pointless IMO. I would hope that no one does that... especially no one here :)
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know people who watch series' out of order, then they get confused and ask me about it. Thankfully, I found Evangelion before I got to experiment with anime, so I don't really concentrate on many other series' (I have all of Lain and love that, too).

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
When you go into the higher number of episode count, watching anime out of sequential order can get harder and harder to understand the anime. It is best to watch any anime in sequential order so that you can understand it without going "huh?" everytime.
Does anyone here have seen Angel Sanctuary? :) Based on the shoujo manga of the same name, it is a short OVA series. :)

JasonRH

Second Unit
I've read reports on this board that there is a Trigun boxset in the works. Can anyone provide any details about this or a link where there is information on it (i.e. extras, price, release date)? Thanks a lot.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
I loved Angel Sanctuary. My wife and I dreaded watching it after we suffered through the godawful Earthian, and that had angels as the focus as well. Angel Sanctuary was a heck of a lot more interesting.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
JasonRH,
From what I've heard at animeondvd.com the Trigun box will be released around Christmastime for $199 MSRP (figure $140 online). It will contain the exact same DVDs that are currently out (without chromium cards) and will just have the box as the extra. However, it will be cheaper to get the boxset, unless they lower the MSRP on the individual releases (current MSRP $240 for all eight).
Ian
------------------
[Edited last by Ian C on August 04, 2001 at 10:09 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks