What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion - Anime Fans' Discussion (1 Viewer)

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Realistically, all you really should see of Tenchi is the box set that contains the main OVA arc (1-6 being the prime tenchi, and the rest of the OVA's included basically being amusing little stories/fleshing out).
Tenchi Muyo in Love is the next best one to get as well. At that point, you can consider your Tenchi collecting complete.
You may feel up to trying the TV series. Tenchi Universe is a retelling of the OVA's with some more twists and a lot more filler. It's mediocre.
The Tenchi in Tokyo series (which many hate, but I really like) does the "unforgivable" thing of taking Tenchi out of his regular element and having him interact with normal people and going to school. Hardcore fans generally despise this as well as the lower animation level (early on) and the more episode feel.
Personally, I liked it for not doing another retelling. But everyone else wanted more OVA storyline.
The movies in general really don't adhere to the continuity of any of the TV series. They're really free-floating entities, which is very common among movie releases of TV series or OVA's. The general feel is to not be constrained by what was done before but to explore new territory.
Which is why I do recommend Tenchi Forever after viewing at least the OVA's and movie 1. It takes a more mature "what if?" feel to it and does things much more differently than the rest of Tenchi.
But I'm definitely in the minority here.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
There you are Chris, bout time you responded to my thread :)
Thanks for the info guys. Honestly though, right now all I'm thinking about is watching the rest of EVA as soon as I get home from school today...
Actually I still need to order Collection 0:8 from somewhere. Are there any online retailers that are actually SHIPPING it now?
------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"I find the most erotic part of a woman is the boobies..."

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I thought my friend had the director's cut of episodes 21-24, but no he doesn't...damn, which mean I have to get it from Japan. Shucks!!! The director's cut gives more info than the TV-edit episodes and fleshes out certain loopholes and questions.
You may not like Vol. #8 as much as you would think. It's pretty psychedelic.
KC

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Kong, this may be a stretch but I'm guessing that you know Japanese...damn, lucky bastard
wink.gif

I keep hearing how amazing the Director Cuts of eps 21-24 are. Chris, Kong, Jeff, anyone, are we EVER going to see these over here? And what exactly is contained in them (without being too specific as I haven't seen up to those episodes yet). I mean, is the material more graphic (violence, nudity, etc.) or is it just character/plot development stuff?
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
We'll never see the DCs of Eva over here, Gainax wants big bucks for the extra footage. It really isn't that much extra footage, maybe a total of 10min worth.
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Actually some of the stuff in the director's cut is in the movie "Death & Rebirth" and some in "End of Evangelion", but the director's cut fleshes out the story some more so you can really understand these movies. :)
I borrowed my friend's VCDs, will be finishing these eps tonight plus the two movies.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
okay, so I didn't get to watch Death & Rebirth as I had hoped, but I got to watch ep 24-26 and End of Evangelion movie. I gotta admit, 25 and 26 is not as psychedelic as people made it out to be (or told me in anyway). It's pretty understandable mental anguish and character analysis, almost as though we are seeing them from their mind-warping stages.
End of Evangelion gives you Episode 25 and 26, the true last two episodes that would have been made if the production studio had more money in their budget to do such an extensive piece. Prepared to be shocked and horrified, this one is no crowd pleaser either. You'll definitely be on the edge of your seat and you may hate Shinji even more so in the movie than in the series.
Otherwise, great ending to a great series that I had intentionally avoided for the past 6 years. Finally, I can finally understand why fans love this series so much.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
No, that wasn't a spoiler. Don't worry :) Pretty much it's a well known fact that at the end of EVA several of the characters have mental meltdowns to say the least.
I'm about to start disc 5 tonight (this is when the "craziness" starts up, or so I hear) and I knew going in that this was going to happen in the series.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
The Region 2 of Kiki's Delivery Service started selling yesterday. I bought it and it looks great. It's 16x9 and the sound is 2.0 surround.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Um, Aaron, no spoilers given.
You'll see what I mean when you watch them. :)
But I don't give out spoilers like that. I usually am very verbose in my spoiler. ;P
KC

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I just finished up disc 6 a few minutes ago.
Holy Shit.
The battles in episode 18 and 19 were so horrific and shocking, tears were literally streaming down my face. Not from sadness, or being offended or anything like that, I was just so moved emotionally. I guess my mind just didn't know how to react.
As SOON as I get out of school tomorrow, I'm going STRAIGHT to my local anime store to buy disc 7 and pray that they have disc 8 already.
No anime has ever moved me like that before. My head was just swimming. F*ck. I just can't say enough about this series.
If the rest of the series is even HALF as impactful as disc 6, it's gonna be pretty interesting indeed :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Holy Shit.
The battles in episode 18 and 19 were so horrific and shocking, tears were literally streaming down my face. Not from sadness, or being offended or anything like that, I was just so moved emotionally. I guess my mind just didn't know how to react.
As SOON as I get out of school tomorrow, I'm going STRAIGHT to my local anime store to buy disc 7 and pray that they have disc 8 already.
No anime has ever moved me like that before. My head was just swimming. F*ck. I just can't say enough about this series.
If the rest of the series is even HALF as impactful as disc 6, it's gonna be pretty interesting indeed :)
Ah, Joe, you're gonna be in for a shocker come Volume 7 and Volume 8, episode 24 will start you head spinning and wanting more, but getting only mind-warping synapse of episode 25 & 26 until the movies come out. *snicker snicker snicker* You're definitely gonna hate waiting for those movies to come out by Manga Entertainment because EoE (End of Evangelion) contain the "what should be the real" Ep. 25 & Ep. 26. :)
*hehehehehehehehehe*
I speak no more...strangle me if you want. ;P

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
I am somewhat disappointed that Grave of the Fireflies has not been mentioned as a must-see.
Why do I always have to mention this title? :)
David

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Kong,
I know. Having to wait for the REAL ending is gonna kill me :)
David,
Actually, this thread was the continuation of several pages on the old forum (well actually the new forum the UBBS software switched over to, and now we're back). On the previous pages, there were numerous recommendations for Grave of the Fireflies.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Well, I just finished Cowboy Bebop, my first full-length (26 episode) anime series, today. (I'm currently finishing up Gundam Wing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Escaflowne)
I was just blown away by the final disc. The animation, of course, was amazing. The music on the final disc, even more so than an the previous discs, was perfect. Yoko Kanno is a genius.
This is one of the only series that I watched all the way through in English. The dub actors were by far the best and most talented I've ever heard. I'm still in awe of how good Ed's VA was. That character must have been EXTREMELY difficult to do correctly.
The ending was pretty damn good as well.
Spoiler:Spike was a doomed hero, almost tragic. His end was fitting.
If you haven't seen this series, just give it a chance. I can guarantee you will be blown away.
(I love how this is basically my personal thread, with a few others, Kong, Jeff, and Chris, giving us their input as well :))
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Dabu H

Auditioning
Hey Kong,
I'm in the process of MODing my pioneer DVL-91 into being region free. I very much want to get the region 2 Wings of Honn. But i remember reading that the Reg. 1 has English subtitles for the Japanese Director's commentary. I'd just like to know if the R2 has it as well. And where exactly should i buy this dvd?
-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks