What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion - Anime Fans' Discussion (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
As for Kenshin, I don't have the money to buy a 90+ episode series. I DID buy the 2 disc OVA. Sweet Jesus I was blown away. It's powerful. That's the best way to describe it I think. I saw it without seeing a single episode of the series and I still loved it
You're right. Powerful is the best way to describe the Kenshin OVA. I don't really have the money for the TV series either, but I still find myself coming home with a new volume of it every few weeks :)
Jeff,
I just bought the last disc of BGC2040 last week. Great series for sure! I'm debating whether or not to invest in the original.
Andrew

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
BGC2040 is the other series, along with Gasaraki, that I'm probably going to jump into as soon as I'm done with the 3 series I'm currently on.
Jeff or Andy,
How's the animation, sound, video quality, and plot of BGC2040?
------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"I find the most erotic part of a woman is the boobies..."

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
The animation and video quality in BGC2040 is very good in my opinion. It is a rather newer series, so that is to be expected I guess.
I love the music in the show. Very catchy.
As for the plot/story. There's another plus in the show. Very creative and very well fleshed out. Characters grow and their personalities change throughout the show.
I don't want to give away anything, but I'll just say this...don't worry, NO SPOILERS!
The story took a weird kind of twist about 2/3 of the way through it, that I totally wasn't expecting anything of the sort to happen. The way they had it going, it was leading up to be a very bland last 2 disc's...but all that changed, and it took me totally by surprise.
Very good show, and totally worth repeat viewings.
Hope this helps. I've never really been good at describing shows/movies, but I tried my best :)
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Hope this helps. I've never really been good at describing shows/movies, but I tried my best
Well I liked your review Andy :)
Between Jeff and your reviews (and other stuff I've heard about it) seems like its definitely my next anime series.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Gee, this thread got really long really quickly!. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask, I think Jeff K. me or Chris B will answer your questions to the best of our knowledge.
Gasaraki is worth the investment, trust me. I own both the R1 and R2 DVDs. :)
BGC and BGC2040 are completely different from each other. BGC2040 just expounds on the original series which was left hanging, albeit Bubblegum Crash is supposed to the true sequel, but most anime fans hated the 3-episode OVA sequel to the original BGC series.
Evangelion is just a really nifty series, created when Anno was in his depression era. But it involves a lot of knowledge of the Jewish Old Testament knowledge.
Hmm, whatever you guys are gonna talk about I will try to add asap.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
I liked BGC2040 a lot up until the last two volumes. I thought the show went on some odd tangents and didn't really connect with me as much as it did on the first four. I still enjoyed it, but something just felt not right.
Gasaraki, of course, rules over all. ADV's putting a ton of effort into this title and the love shows through. Even has an excellent and accurate dub.
Since people seem to be finishing up series and looking for new things, post Eva and Esca, I'd also recommend:
MS08th Gundam Team: Takes place during the One Year War, which is where Gundam all started back in the late 70's. This was a 13 part OVA series done in 1995, so it's got fresher animation done up in a classic/retro style to keep in feel with the original. It's more of a war story than anything else so far.
Nadia: Bah, who needs Atlantis. You know the anime stylings based off of Jules Verne will be better. And it was done a few years before Gainax tackled Evangelion. Hook, line and sinker.
For those daring to go into ecchi land, check out the newly released Buttobi/CPU. Good wholesome fun!
wink.gif

------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I too, wholeheartedly suggest getting Gasaraki before Bubblegum 2040. Granted, Gasaraki is only half way through an 8 disc series (while BGC2040 is complete) it is still just such an amazing show, well worth experiencing before BGC2040 IMO.
Wow, you know...I never realized that there was such a fan base for Gasaraki. I thought that I was one of the only people that liked the show. I'm glad that others like it as well!
Can anyone tell me if Disc 5 of Gasaraki has been released yet? I got disc 4 probably 2 months ago now, and have yet to see disc 5 anywhere!! I need more!! :)
Andrew
P.s, I think we should changed the topic line of this thread to "Official Anime Thread" or something like that.
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
For those daring to go into ecchi land, check out the newly released Buttobi/CPU. Good wholesome fun
I read your review Chris, and it seems like a very entertaining show. I've put it on my short list of stuff to buy. Just wanted to ask something...
What is ecchi? Is it just like a "dumbed down" hentai? Now, I've never seen any hentai anime, but I have an idea of what kind of anime it is (from reading reviews).
Thanks.
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
Thanks for the suggestions, guys, keep 'em coming! I bought the BGC 4-disc boxset a month or so ago, along with Macross Plus and Perfect Blue, with a good coupon from CDNow. Haven't watched it yet though.
I've got an old friend who has been seriously into anime for the last couple of years, but who only bought a DVD player a few weeks ago. He's coming over soon and bringing a bunch of tapes for me to view (Escaflowne, etc.), including some fansubs, so I can see what I would like to get into. I'm mostly going to hold off on more purchases until I see those. I'm definitely thinking of investing in Gasaraki - it does sound like the kind of thing I like.
--Rog

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
Gasaraki is a series that I'll hold off watching till it's completed. I'm getting where I can't stand waiting a month or more for the next installment. Neon Genesis (waiting on the last volume) is killing me!
On Escaflowne I watched the first 2 volumes and realized I wanted to watch this without the monthly breaks. So I purchased the other 6 volumes and now I'm ready to watch them!
Just watched Buttobi CPU -- you guys will have fun watching this one.
------------------
The Best Site for Anime DVD Images -- Anime Emporium

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I second vote on Nadia (fushigi no umi no Nadia), which is far the best anime series that has inspired me to keep watching Japanese anime series back in 1990 (Nadia came out in 1989 and finished up in 1990...our club started in Fall of 1990 and finished up in 1991). This series rocks with talents as Sadamoto for character design and Anno as director. A great series recommendation, and if you have R2 DVD capability, purchase the boxset coming out in Japan (no subs tho), because it is sure sweet! :) (I have mine on pre-order).
I, too, am a big fan of Gasaraki, which I think we should showcase in our club. But I think it may be too heavy for some people to comprehend. Oh well... Disc 5 of Gasaraki is supposed to be out this month, it got delayed. I believe it's supposed to be next Tuesday. I could be wrong.
ecchi is the Japanese pronunciation for the letter "H", which is also the first romanized letter to the Japanese word hentai, which means "perverted". So if it's "hentai", then it's "H" (pronounced "Ay*chi" * is for slight stutter pause).
Perfect Blue is a muct watch psycho-thriller anime. A must watch, even though you may need to watch it a few times to understand it. It's a big confusing but overall a great thriller. It's amazing how popular this movie got.
And Escaflowne is a must watch, Roger. And Gasaraki is a definite watch. I guarantee it. You may need to watch it a few times because it goes by so quickly (I mean the dialogue).
And if your friends have any time, they should come to the big expo of the West, Anime Expo 2001 (plug plug plug
tongue.gif

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
ecchi's meaning has been diluted a bit over the years, though Kong is definitely right. You'll find it at times in real life, when a guy says something suggestive to a girl, and she might just cringe a bit and utter "ecchiiii". Sorta like an american girl going "ewwww".
In terms of anime fandom redefinition, ecchi is considered high-end fanservice and low-end hentai. Buttobi fits that definition, while Urotsukidoji would be pure hentai. Ecchi tends, or soft h as it's also referred to, would be things that don't involve demons, tentacles, etc. Usually more "real world" fare, such as Buttobi, End of Summer and a few others. There's very little "lite" hentai on the market so far, but things are changing a bit, which is good.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
I just bought Escaflowne Vol 1 & 2 and Trigun Vol 5 & 6. I haven't watched any Escflowne yet, but I am into Trigun. At first Trigun was a bit slow, but it starts to pick up around episode 6. I can't wait till the 26th to get eva disc 8. Sounds like I need to start buying region 2 DVDs. Where can I get a cheap region free player?
------------------
Bill
My DVD Collection
[email protected]

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
As for soft "H", I recommend Refrain Blue, not available in the U.S. but only in R2 DVD. Cute and sweet with some minor "H" elements.
As for Evangelion, you're gonna go crazy with the last three episodes. :P Because the last two are just wild until you get the true last two eps in End of Evangelion movie. :)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Damn, this thread did get big incredibly fast! I'm sure it has to do with the fact that there are hardly any anime threads on this forum. If you've seen an anime thread in this forum in the last 3-4 months, odds are I probably started it.
I just had SO many questions since I just recently got into anime. Everyone was a big help especially Kong, Chris Beveridge, and on occasion Jeff Kleist :)
All of these guys obviously have EXTENSIVE knowledge in all aspects of anime. Thanks for answering all my questions quickly and informatively.
P.s, I think we should changed the topic line of this thread to "Official Anime Thread" or something like that.
Yeah, I had already suggested that but I was just too lazy to get it moving
biggrin.gif

Since I'm the originator of this thread do I just email a moderator or something and ask them to change the name of the thread? I don't want to go against HTF protocol and bring down the wrath of our moderator overlords :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Oh and Kong, if you don't see what I wrote in the Trigun thread, I'll rewrite it here:
What school do you go to?
Just curious :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"If I said you had a nice body would you take off your clothes and dance around for awhile?"

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Joe,
This is to answer your question again :)
Joe C.,
I graduated from UC Irvine (hence the anime club) awhile ago. I live nearby there so I still attend there every Thursday night. (Currently on hiatus until after Anime Expo...you can check our website at here.
So where do you go?

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Here, I'll answer it in this thread :)
I just graduated from high school (today), and will be attending UCLA in the fall. I'll be living on campus so it looks like I'll have to see if there's any anime clubs there (I'm positive there is).
I'm really getting excited about that expo in Long Beach. Barring some unforeseen tragedy (like me getting into another car accident
wink.gif
) I'll most likely be going.
*UPDATE*
I just checked out that link you gave me and I see that UCLA does have an anime club. In fact it's another branch of your club. That'll be perfect. My roommate BETTER like anime though...
------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"If I said you had a nice body would you take off your clothes and dance around for awhile?"

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
However, due note, Joe, that UCLA will *only show* stuff they can acquire rights to showcase, which means you can't show stuff direct from Japan or fansubs.
frown.gif
Of course, it may have changed, but when they first formed, that was how there were.
UCLA is quite a great school. Saw Mononoke Hime there when it was showcased in America (the dubbed version by Miramax).
And when you are showcasing the anime DVDs you have to your roommate, make sure to strap him down a la "Clockwork Orange" so that he will watch it constantly. :p He'll may appreciate it if he isn't already an anime fan.
KC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks