What's new

Adjusting Subwoofer Volume? (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Using the A/V Receiver's test tones ONLY what is the best way to adjust the volume of the subwoofer?

I have a Yamaha A/V Receiver with the crossover set at 80, the sub (JBL SUB 12) is turned to the highest crossover setting. All speakers (5.1 setup) are set to small. Sub's volume is set at the next mark past the half way mark. I have the A/V Receiver's sub output volume set at +2. When I run the test tones, the sub's volume is much lower than the other speakers yet when listening to a source the sub's volume seems ok. I don't understand why the sub's volume is low during the test tones. What am I missing here?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What type of SPL meter are you using to measure the sub's volume when you run the test tones? Radio Shack models measure read low when measuring low frequencies.

-Robert

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I have a Yamaha rcvr (5790 ??), and I have exactly the same experience. It seems as if the test tones for the sub are reduced for some unkown reason, possibly just a bug, or they thought they'd help avoid breaking china in the kitchen?

I've decided not to worry about it.

One thing I would do, though. Turn the sub volume up a bit, and get the output from the rcvr to 0 dB instead of the +2. There's no point in making a signal louder only to turn it down again later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks