What's new

Adire Audio Dharman...more bang for the buck than any other non-DIY sub out there? (1 Viewer)

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
I guess SVS is more popular here and plus both Tom & Ron post regularly on this forum while Dan post more often over at HTT.

I considered the SVS 20-39CS & the Dharman seriously while I was looking for a sub a few months ago. During my research, I came to the conclusion that you can't go wrong w/ either one, they both will kick serious booty for any other commercial sub in the price range.

I ended up w/ the SVS simply for look. I kinda want to try something new w/ the tube design. If Dharman was a tube and SVS was a cube, I would have the Dharman instead.

Joel

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to mention...the Dharman comes in either a real wood veneer finish or a gloss-black finish.

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Bob, this obsession of yours is getting sadder every day. Yes you can say with a straight face that you only started this thread to satisfy your curiosity about the Dharman. And yes, based on your innocent sounding post, a reader might believe that was truly your motivation (if that reader had a COMPLETE lack of knowledge of your posting history). But most readers here (and on practically EVERY HT related forum these days) completely understand why you're here in the subwoofer forum.

You're like the angry-but-lustful stalker who follows his obsession into the lingerie store. Yes he can claim the right to be in there just like anybody else. And he can pretend to be interested in the pretty lacy things. But everybody in the store recognizes the stalker for what he is and why he’s there.

Let's face it Bob. You're here to try to diminish SVS's reputation by comparison to another product. From what I've read, the Dharman sounds like a great sub, and may very well be in the same bang-for-buck class as the more expensive SVS. And that subject WOULD make for an interesting debate. But you couldn't give a rat's-ass about the Dharman.

You need to seriously consider getting help Bob.

David

P.S. Don't bother with the "thanks from one audio enthusiast to another" whine. You didn't start this post out of enthusiasm for subwoofers.

David Head

Second Unit
Many of us love the look and performance of SV subwoofers, but I think people should be aware that the Dharman is a viable alternative to SVS if your or your SO prefer a more traditional looking sub.

Bob,

Don't bother responding to the personal attack. Just report the post.

David

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
"Many of us love the look and performance of SV subwoofers, but I think people should be aware that the Dharman is a viable alternative to SVS if your or your SO prefer a more traditional looking sub."

Absolutely. I can see how the Dharman would be the PREFERABLE alternative to the SVS in many cases. Great price/performance ratio, easier to integrate into S.O.'s decorating style, etc.

The only difference between my post and Bob's post at the start of this thread is that my "personal attack" wasn't disguised as something else. If you don't recognize Bob's thinly disguised "attack", then you haven't been following the unending Bob-vs-SVS threads here (and on every other HT board I read).

Don't worry, I'm quite sure the administrators are well aware of this thread. He's already been slapped on the wrist at another board for his SVS-stalking-and-baiting threads.

David Giles

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
David,

The problem is that Bob doesn't realize that's what's going on here. Or worse, is fool enough to think the rest of the world doesn't see what he's really after. (Bob, you can stop typing your inevitable "What, AM I after Ron??? I'm lost here" response; don't you realize WE get it, even if YOU don't?)

The idea that all of a sudden, the DAY AFTER he was nearly banned from another forum for his antics, he discovers this new found interest in delving into the great value of the Dharman? One of the few subs that deserve to be considered an SVS competitor?

Oh, and expresses this facination with the Dharman's apparent lack of attention on at least three different forums that same day?? All while explaining that he has no sub, desires no sub, and is not allowed to buy a sub by his wife??

Yup, just idle curiosity. Just discussing audio issues of interest to everyone. Has nothing to do with any agenda at all involving SVS. Nope. "Just minding my own business here folks, move along. E-mail me if you have an issue with that -- Bob A. The one and only (we pray)."

Bob, if you are out there (and I know you are) go ahead and buy the Dharman. It's a great value, and God know's we'd rather you be the customer of our competition than count you as one of ours.

Hell, right now there is a collection going around the company to BUY you a Dharman. I think that'd fall into the "dirty tricks" category of competive marketing though. Next thing we know Dan Wiggens will be buying you an SVS just to get you out of his corner I'd suspect. ;^)

We've said it before but short of outright slander against SVS (Bob's too smart, though probably disturbed nonetheless, to do that) we're going to try our damndest to not participate in any thread he is pontificating in. I count at least 3 forums he's managed to alienate most of the rank and file. There are certainly others we can go to he's not present at, yet.

Ron

David Head

Second Unit
David,

Even if that is the case, you shouldn't take it personally. Let Ron or Tom bring it to the attention of an Admin. You don't want to be placed in the position of having to defend yourself...

David

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys...always assume the worst about a guy who is just trying to help others out. If any of you have personal issues with me, feel free to email me and we can discuss it.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Also... is the very high output at 20Hz (sans grill noise) because of the additional port area? (I think it has 2 3" flared ports.) And didn't SVS correct that 'issue' in the CS+ series with 3 3" ports?... There was a very big discussion about this a while ago, I think.
I wouldn't say that the increase in port area would be solely responsible, as everything else is different also. Two 3" ports are not as big an increase from a single 4" as the geometry might indicate, as there's increased friction with the dual ports.

Also, I don't think that the SVS 3" ports were to address an "issue", they're there to accomodate the higher-displacement drivers used in those models. The CS series are *perfect* designs for their goals, and the flared 4" is well-suited to the driver, as the performance shows. To put it in perspective, the 4" port that SVS uses is, to my knowledge, the same used in the $4000 Ariel SW12.

These are all great subs from two great companies, and I would be glad to own any of them.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
First and only request - play nice everybody. How about talking about the subject at hand instead of the interpersonal needling. If there is nothing to be added to core discussion of the thread I'm sure everyone would agree it's better off closed.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Just for some clarification...so that I am not simply painted in a misleading light. First of all, they understand the situation at HTS and they understand that I did nothing wrong, so they have given me privileges to post. Second of all, I see no valid reason why only one forum should hear about the Dharman. Third of all, several members at various forums have apologized to me for their (often rude) behavior towards me.

And now...back to the Adire Audio Dharman...

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
These Adires are shipped from Seattle, correct?
Bob will try his darndest to keep this post at the top it seems...its like one man talking to himself...I like how Bob has chosen to not update, or remove, the SVS numbers from *his* (which isn't really his) list.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
Why do I keep seeing this thread everywhere I go? Both companies are well respected around the internet community and they both have good if not great products. Man, this kind of back and forth BS gets me down. Can't we all just get along? :D

Paul Carleton

Auditioning
Just for some clarification...so that I am not simply painted in a misleading light. First of all, they understand the situation at HTS and they understand that I did nothing wrong, so they have given me privileges to post....
Bob, that isn't exaclty true anymore, now is it?

Paul Carleton

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Would the frequency response of the Dharman be similar to that of a DIY EBS alignment Shiva? I'm trying to decide if I want to do an EBS alignment or maybe the adire alignment. Just curious. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks