1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Height Channel

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David-T, Nov 5, 2003.

1. David-T

David-T Extra

I was wondering if anyone has toyed around with the height channel for Home Theater? And if so how did you lay your ceiling speakers out. I am looking at buying two pairs of ceiling speakers, but am skeptical about cutting into my sheetrock and finding out that these speakers are not in the right location. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Heigth channel? Are you refering to Yamaha's front effects channel?

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This is quite a bit beyond "basics". I'm moving it to a more appropriate location.

M.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You could put the speakers there, but there's nothing out there to decode a height channel, and nothing out there with a height channel encoded, so the speakers would be pretty much useless until a sound format supporting height came along, which probably won't be any time in the near future since most people won't find placement of speakers on their ceilings feasible.

That's the longest sentence i've ever typed...

5. David-T

David-T Extra

I first would like to thank the people who replied. James, I do have a Yamaha receiver, but this is not the height channel I am referring to. I read an article in “Widescreen Review” in the editor feedback section; I guess talking about this new channel. I have the processor and amp and was going to take my front center channel and rear center channel to come up with a matrix height channel. The only thing I am hesitant about is cutting holes in my ceiling for the four ceiling speakers. By the way this room is a dedicated theater room, which measures 17’ x 21’. If I cut these holes out and install the ceiling speaker and do not like the ambient sound effects or they are to localized I will have to repair the ceiling. So that is why I was asking if anyone has fooled around with the positioning of these speakers. It’s easy to position the other speakers in the room since their not in the sheetrock. I want the height channel so it will give the effect that the ceiling is not there and the effect of arrows, mortar rounds, planes are going over your head. Sound outside comes to you from all directions and this is what I am trying to achieve. I was also reading somewhere, I think it was on the Smart Device site, that two movies had this channel imbedded in the sound track and they are: “We Were Soldiers” and the “Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones”. I was also hoping asking this question would also help other people in this hobby.[​IMG]

6. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I'd say go for it! If you don't like it, patching sheetrock is not brain surgery. Running the wires will probably be that hardest part.

Disclaimer: Now if you have popcorn ceilings I would think twice about it!

Ronnie

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    You will find this interesting reading!
    http://hometheaterforum.com/htforum/...light=overhead

I still have my theater set up with the OverHead channel and I'm guessing I am one of the few that has even tried it. Decoding the channel with a Prologic decoder does work and I still stand by my reviews.

Wes