What's new

Add new dts decoder or buy new pre amp? (1 Viewer)

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
OK
I'm going to ask an opinion here on what you people think is the best upgrade path.
I have a Citation 7.0 with an Sony EP9ES DD decoder with the following equipment
Bryston amps
PSB Stratus Silvers Front
Mirage OMr2 for the surrounds
PSB C6 for the center
2Wq Vandersteen Sub
DVL 919 DVD/LD player
Crappy denon 5 disk cd player
XBR400 36 inch tv
The question is, now that I could pick up a silver millenium dts decoder for 200 bucks is it worth adding?
Or save the money, sell the Sony (which I just Picked up),
Citation and put that money towards a new processor
(ie the outlaw 950)Is the 950 going to be high end or just solid. Technically both my units were state of the art sonically.
I mean I could sell both units for ~ 750.
But I love the 6 axis and the sound quality of the citation(it was a flagship piece).
If the DP2 is as good or better than 6 axis well....
How hard is it to sell old equipment like this?
Any opinions?
------------------
Conroy

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you plan to move from a 5.1 system to a 6.1 system, It doesn't seem like an upgrade to me.
A new processor like the Outlaw 950 will give you 6.1 decoding, multi-zone control, and 5.1 input for SACD/DVD-A.
If you don't have the room or the desire to go to a 6.1 set up, and you don't need the 5.1 input or multi-zone capability, then you will still get a 'ease of use' upgrade. Using the Citation/Sony/DTS decoder combo, sounds like a hassle.
However, it will be very tough IMO for the $899 Outlaw 950 to match the quality of the Citation and Sony.
DPL2 and 6-Axis should be pretty comparable, they are based on the same technology.

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
I am going through the exact same decision process. I have the Citation 7.0 and the Technics DTS decoder. I have decided to sell now while I can still get something for the 7.0. I will either get the Outlaw or find a good price on a Lexicon DC-2. I love the Citation and will terribly miss the 6-axis. I use the side and rear surrounds and the sound is awesome. The Outlaw will have DPLII but it is only in 5 channel, so if you use 7.1 you will be out of luck. I am hoping they will announce a 7.1 DPLII and Outlaw will be able to do software upgrade. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks