HELP! Can't setup Millenium 2.4.6 dts properly

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Conroy Tesa, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

Hi

Anyone who has or has had this could you help me out?

I just purchased a millenium off someone and am having problems with it in auto mode.

I have it set up with a Sony EP9ES DD decoder and a Citation 7.0 preamp.

I have it just before my amps.

I followed the instructions and have all switches in the up position.

I tested The Police Greatest Hits dts cd and it works perfectly.

The millenium tracks the volume of the Sony ep9es.

When I try DVDs it is a different story. There does not seem to be any audible signal for the millenium to track from the left and right inputs. I'm using a Pioneer DVL919 and an xbox. Neither send out an audible signal for my citation or Sony to pick up.

If I switch my switch to manual it is/does play the dts properly but I have to change the volume manually.

I wanted this unit because of the volume tracking (which works for dts cds but not dts dvd) and I could use it between the preamp I have (which has no 6 channel inputs) and my amps.

Was the upgrade chip mentioned on the millenium site to do with this problem?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't think Auto mode will work for you. [​IMG] The auto mode only works if the preamp is sending a crazy signal of the DTS bitstream decoded as redbook CD. This will work with older gear on DTS LD and CD, but preamps are smart enough not to do that with DVD. I think you're stuck with using the volume control on the front of the Milly. That's not too bad is it? It should still sound terriffic.

3. Conroy Tesa

Hmmm

That kinda sucks!

I could try this

I have on the back of my DVL919 3 digital outs.

toslink, 1 coax and 1 coax pcm only.

Maybe if I hook the coax to the milly and the pcm to the preamp, it will send the crap signal to the preamp and thus allow volume adjustment? I'll try it tonight.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That concept could very well work, but I'm not sure about those digital outputs you refer to. The DVL919 should have an optical, a coax, and an RF out for LD DD. If there's a dedicated PCM output then go ahead. Also, if you're not using the Milly's coax pass-through you could try that. Send the signal out of the Milly coax out and into the coax input on your preamp.

The 2.4.6 is a very nice sounding piece, I ran one for many years. I'm surprised one of tha many other Milly users hasn't chimed in.

5. Conroy Tesa

How did you have yours setup?

Was it going to a 6 channel input to your preamp/receiver?

Manually adjusting the volume in this day and age is a pain

Thanks for being the sole person to help me out.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yes, mine was hooked directly into the 6 channel input on my receiver. It worked beautifully. Does your preamp have a 6 channel input?

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

oops. Ignore this post. I assume the Sony DD decoder has a volume control, no?

8. Conroy Tesa

Philip
    Sorry to burst that bubble but my Citation doesn't have a 6 channel input [​IMG]
    I have the Citation->EP9ES->Millenium->Amps
    Works perfect for dts cds not dts dvd.
    I'll keep plugging away.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sorry - not paying attention..... I think you'll have to use the volume control on the Milly for DVDs unless you can figure out a way to make the Sony interpret the DTS signal from the DVD machine as a PCM one. I would start by trying all the digital output options on the DVD player. Sometimes there's "PCM" and "bitstream" or such. Try them all and see if any work.

10. Conroy Tesa

Cheers!

Thanks for your time.

I guess I'm near that point where I should have not bought the milly, sold myother preamps and bought a new one!

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I understand, but try to put it in perspective. Is having to use the manual volume control really that much of an inconvenience? Does the Sony DD decoder have a 5.5 pass through? If so, can you use it to control the volume of the Millenium? It would be a shame to not use such a nice piece.