What's new

Adam 12 (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Found season 2-7 on Amazon individual. But not season 1. Looked at deep discount and season 1 is on back order. E bay has volume 1 I believe. Any other ideas? Thanks

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Just a heads up...the first season was originally released by universal on double sided discs, and were plagued with freezing issues. However, when the discs did play, the transfers of the shows were stellar. Seasons 2-7 were then released a number of years after season 1 by SHOUT Factory. These discs played with no reported issues, but the transfers were softer and duller than the universal season 1 release.

I would love to see a HD release of the show on BD, but have to believe that’ll never happen. In the meantime, we have to be happy with what we have.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
There's a couple on eBay right now that say they're brand new/unopened. One is $39.95 and the other is $23.95. There's a misleading one that says it's Season 1, but it's a Volume 1 "Best of" set that has ten episodes. There are 4 sellers on Amazon that have it for sale, one new and three are used. From $29-$39.

A friend and I both bought the seven individual seasons last year. I did in two orders a few months apart and he all at once around November. We both found that Deep Discount had the best prices overall. Right now they look to be a few dollars more here and there on DD. I've been watching a couple episodes a week and just started Season 6.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m hoping to grab the series. I like jack Webb related productions. I see that a lot of the actors from Dragnet that played LAPD command level officers in Dragnet are used as in uniform officers in Adam 12

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Would love to own Adam-12 but won't pay the crazy prices I'ver seen on all but Season 1. I'm sure it sells great which is why no price drop over so many years, but not to me. Hopefully someday a complete series at a decent price will become available and I don't mean $249.00 or $299.00. LOL!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Would love to own Adam-12 but won't pay the crazy prices I'ver seen on all but Season 1. I'm sure it sells great which is why no price drop over so many years, but not to me. Hopefully someday a complete series at a decent price will become available and I don't mean $249.00 or $299.00. LOL!

I agree. I bought seasons 2-7 individually and saved about $125. Still trying to get a physical copy of season 1. Will probably try deep discount. I downloaded it from I tunes. The problem with it is they are using Syndication masters. One episode on the season 1 from I tunes shows where to put commercials. It has a 1996 date. That tells me they used a TV land or Nick at Nite version

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I agree. I bought seasons 2-7 individually and saved about $125. Still trying to get a physical copy of season 1. Will probably try deep discount. I downloaded it from I tunes. The problem with it is they are using Syndication masters. One episode on the season 1 from I tunes shows where to put commercials. It has a 1996 date. That tells me they used a TV land or Nick at Nite version
When you say Syndicated Masters does that mean the episodes are cut? Thanks.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you say Syndicated Masters does that mean the episodes are cut? Thanks.
Yeah this right. .. That seems to be the case with I tunes and universal properties .. I noticed the same with Season 2 of Knight Rider

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I don't think there is a stinker episode in this entire series, and I'm not sure there are any other shows that ran even half as long that can make that claim. This is an exemplary show, in my opinion.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, thought I’d revive this thread.

I’ve had Adam-12 on my list of series to add to my collection. Would be a nice to have it as a companion series to Route 66 as well as Naked City.

I think I stopped trying because of reports of the Season One release that only Universal released as it has play back issues. I see in the Amazon reviews some people reporting freezing and playback problems in older reviews.

But there is a release of Season One on Amazon that has an odd naming that made me wonder if it’s a legit release or maybe a MOD situation: ADAM12 SSN1 DVD DNSZ. The recent reviews from 2019 to 2021 don’t report any issues, so I wonder if this is a new pressing.

It’s good to see that Shout Factory has Season Two and Seven. Thought I’d check if anyone has any new insights on the first season. Thanks!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I’ve had Adam-12 on my list of series to add to my collection. Would be a nice to have it as a companion series to Route 66 as well as Naked City.

I think I stopped trying because of reports of the Season One release that only Universal released as it has play back issues. I see in the Amazon reviews some people reporting freezing and playback problems in older reviews.

But there is a release of Season One on Amazon that has an odd naming that made me wonder if it’s a legit release or maybe a MOD situation: ADAM12 SSN1 DVD DNSZ. The recent reviews from 2019 to 2021 don’t report any issues, so I wonder if this is a new pressing.

It’s good to see that Shout Factory has Season Two and Seven. Thought I’d check if anyone has any new insights on the first season. Thanks!

Season 1 was originally released in 2005 on Universal's notorious flipper discs. That's where the problems were.

They rereleased it late last decade on single sided discs. You should be good with those if you can get a set that hasn't been damaged, which was my major problem with two separate sets from Deep Discount at the time.

Eventually I ordered from Amazon, and it was all good.

S1, BTW, has one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. It's an episode that starts out as a stock standard goofy sitcom plot with two neighbors who own a boat together having a disagreement over it, and it just turns dark and disturbing by the end. Rob Petrie and Jerry Helper didn't act like that when they bought the Betty Lou.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Hi Nelson,

The only connection between Adam-12 and Route 66 is the great Martin Milner. But it ends right there, ditto Naked City.

Makes a great companion to Dragnet for sure! It's also quite pricey because it's very popular so great deals are hard to come by with the exception of Season One which btw you can buy dirt cheap on eBay. I still don't own every season on DVD because I won't pay those prices but I do have digital files of the entire series.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Robert, thanks for the insight, good to know the first season set has been released as single discs. I’ll pick up the first season from Amazon and hope it’s a good one.

Hey Neal, of course the only connection is Martin Milner. It’s interesting to me as I remember Adam-12 more then Route 66 as I saw Adam-12 in my youth. But didn’t see Route 66 till years later.

There is a listing for the first season of Adam-12 on Amazon for $14. So I was surprised. Maybe I found a deal?

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
On another thread (My Adam 12 E bay Experience) I mentioned that I'd purchased the entire series in two rounds about six months apart; last year. I had asked what that DNSZ meant, but no one posted that they knew. But my Season 1 set was fine. One sided. Since then I've watched a couple a week or so and as of today I actually have only ONE episode left to watch!

I'd seen at least the first two seasons previously when they had originally aired. When the series was on Me-TV I watched quite a number of their hour pairings. (Different seasons in each half-hour.) As a surprise, when I got to Season 7 on DVD, I realized that I had never seen ANY episodes from Season 7, so that's all been completely new to me! (I knew that because the opening credit sequence was new to me. It's different in every season except one season uses the previous season's opening.) As another bonus surprise in Season 7, for me, one episode had filmed several scenes across the street from where I live and another many scenes were filmed a block away.

If you live in Los Angeles, you'll often find shows like this one, Dragnet and especially CHiP's, will give the directions to where officers are to go and they'll be intersections where the roads do NOT actually intersect anywhere. A recent episode I watched sent the officers to the intersection of Vine St. and Ventura Blvd., for example. Or sometimes they will say they're at a location that does exist, but that's not where it was filmed.

Contrary to what you might think, this is not a complaint, it's actually enjoyable in a way.

Recently I purchased the Dragnet series which I do not know as well. Kent McCord is in a handful of different episodes in Dragnet playing an officer, different names in most of them. Like Adam-12, the first season is from Universal and the other three from Shout Factory. A bonus on the Dragnet 1968 set (first Shout Factory release) is something I never knew existed, a two hour pilot movie for the Dragnet reboot series, Dragnet 1966. Who knew? (Kent McCord has a small role in that, too, as a hotel clerk.) I believe one set also has at least one 1950's Dragnet episode.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On another thread (My Adam 12 E bay Experience) I mentioned that I'd purchased the entire series in two rounds about six months apart; last year. I had asked what that DNSZ meant, but no one posted that they knew. But my Season 1 set was fine. One sided. Since then I've watched a couple a week or so and as of today I actually have only ONE episode left to watch!

I'd seen at least the first two seasons previously when they had originally aired. When the series was on Me-TV I watched quite a number of their hour pairings. (Different seasons in each half-hour.) As a surprise, when I got to Season 7 on DVD, I realized that I had never seen ANY episodes from Season 7, so that's all been completely new to me! (I knew that because the opening credit sequence was new to me. It's different in every season except one season uses the previous season's opening.) As another bonus surprise in Season 7, for me, one episode had filmed several scenes across the street from where I live and another many scenes were filmed a block away.

If you live in Los Angeles, you'll often find shows like this one, Dragnet and especially CHiP's, will give the directions to where officers are to go and they'll be intersections where the roads do NOT actually intersect anywhere. A recent episode I watched sent the officers to the intersection of Vine St. and Ventura Blvd., for example. Or sometimes they will say they're at a location that does exist, but that's not where it was filmed.

Contrary to what you might think, this is not a complaint, it's actually enjoyable in a way.

Recently I purchased the Dragnet series which I do not know as well. Kent McCord is in a handful of different episodes in Dragnet playing an officer, different names in most of them. Like Adam-12, the first season is from Universal and the other three from Shout Factory. A bonus on the Dragnet 1968 set (first Shout Factory release) is something I never knew existed, a two hour pilot movie for the Dragnet reboot series, Dragnet 1966. Who knew? (Kent McCord has a small role in that, too, as a hotel clerk.) I believe one set also has at least one 1950's Dragnet episode.

Yep, Dragnet '66 was a movie commissioned when NBC started doing their movie of the week stuff with Universal. The move turned out so well that NBC ordered a new season of Dragnet. But they wound up not airing the movie until 1969.

As for Kent McCord, the rumor is that when Jack Webb died, he was in the process of resurrecting Dragnet again, with Joe Friday and his new partner, Jim Reed. But, Webb died suddenly and Dragnet '83 never got much past the rumored stage.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hi Robert, thanks for the insight, good to know the first season set has been released as single discs. I’ll pick up the first season from Amazon and hope it’s a good one.

Hey Neal, of course the only connection is Martin Milner. It’s interesting to me as I remember Adam-12 more then Route 66 as I saw Adam-12 in my youth. But didn’t see Route 66 till years later.

There is a listing for the first season of Adam-12 on Amazon for $14. So I was surprised. Maybe I found a deal?
Not really Nelson On Feb.12.2018 I purchased Adam-12: Season One Repackaged, 4PC on ImportCDs for $10.99.

Great informative post Martin!

Here's the Dragnet 1967 appearances for both Kent McCord and Martin Milner from IMDb.

Kent McCord 8 episodes, 1967-1968

- Internal Affairs: DR-20 (1968) ... Officer Jim Reed
- The Big Search (1968) ... Officer Reed
- The Phony Police Racket (1967) ... Officer Reed
- The Big High (1967) ... 2nd Officer
- The Big Neighbor (1967) ... Officer
- The Bank Jobs (1967) ... Officer Whitman
- The Interrogation (1967) ... Officer Paul Culver
- The Big Explosion (1967) ... Officer Martin (as Kent McWhirter)

Martin Milner 1 episode, 1968

- Internal Affairs: DR-20 (1968) ... Officer Pete Malloy

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
As for Kent McCord, the rumor is that when Jack Webb died, he was in the process of resurrecting Dragnet again, with Joe Friday and his new partner, Jim Reed. But, Webb died suddenly and Dragnet '83 never got much past the rumored stage.
That's interesting. Never heard that before!!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks