What's new

acoustic panels on my walls (1 Viewer)

Jason*H

Agent
Im considering putting acoustic panels on my walls.. I did a search but not really coming up with much. I have a vaulted ceiling and a tiled floor so Im looking for some sound improvement. I already use a floor rug to help the tile but what to do on the wall and how do you figure out where to put acoustic panels

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
That's hard to answer. There are never hard and fast rules for what to apply where and how much. Take a search both on google, and through these forums for acoustic panels, and you will come up with lots of ideas. There are also some good acoustics books out there that cover the basics. The HT construction forum here also has a lot of these questions that have comeup in the past that you can search through, as well as ask.

Let me see if I can't pull up a couple good links too. I know I have them...it's just i have hundreds of audio links that need to be organized, and I have to search through them and guess through what is what... :frowning:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The simplest way to start is with a mirror, depending on your setup, of course. On the adjacent walls, a helper will move a mirror around until you see the reflection of the front baffle of the speaker - this is your first reflection. If this point is closer to you than your main speakers are, you will likely want to address it first. The size of the panel is not quite as simple to figure out, and may require some experimentation.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Hi, I would like to suggest you consider acoustical treatments for your ceiling. Especially since you have tiled floors. It should be placed at the mirror point on the ceiling for both the front channels and the center. It made the dialog cleaner and more localized to the screen. I feel it's overlooked way too often. Just keep experimenting with the room. Subtle changes can make a difference.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Here is a guy who made his own Pyramid Foam Sound Absorbers using acoustic foam from www.partsexpress.com and some panels from a hardware store. Quite a good link with pictures.

I also recommend a book by F. Alton Everest called "Sound Studio Construction on a Budget". While orriented towards production studios, he does explain the major concepts and includes 2 chapters on home theater rooms.

I think this book is sub $20 at Amazon.

Anthony: while we dont like people to promote their goods or services, any expertiese you have in these matters is welcome. Please feel free to comment on what you know, have done, found that works/does not work, etc.

Anthony.L

Grip
I apologize, I wasn't trying to sell anything. I figured I could help if he PM his info.

In regards to wall panels and acoustical ceilings you will have to consider how the room is layed out and consider the panels with the correct specifications and techinical properties you are looking for(N.R.C. , C.A.C, etc...) It will get very involved. You will probably have to use different materials throughout your ceiling layout to achieve optimum acoustics i.e. fiberglass, mineral fiber, and reflective products such as gypsum. You may want to consider an acoustical consultant for a layout, which I am not. Once again, I was just offering advise. There are many products available out there available for your walls and ceilings. Good Luck.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It will get very involved
I usually find with this hobby that there ARE multiple things involved. But there is usually a DOMINATE problem or two that can be solved with a small bit of effort. The third/fourth order issues now start costing a lot more money and energy as the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks