What's new

Acoustic Board for making panels (1 Viewer)

Charles

Agent
Does anyone know where I can buy the acoustic board for making panels for my theater. I saw a board advertised on owens-cornings' website called SelectSound Black Acoustic Board but they won't sell it to consumers. If anyone knows of a good product and where to buy it I would appreciate the info. I want to wrap the board in fabric and frame it with molding for the wall.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
If your trying to make an absorptive type of panel, owens corning makes a 703 and 705 panel. 4x8 sheets. The 703 is 1 inch thick and 705 is 2 inches thick I believe. Check your local lowes or home depot. I think HVAC guys use this for some of their ductwork.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
You likely won't find it at Lowes or Home Depot.
Check your yellow pages for HVAC or heating and A/C suppliers.
Owens is just one brand, Certainteed and Johns Manville are also very common. You want fiberglass duct board, in 2'x4' size (very common), with at least 3lb density (also very common in the HVAC biz).
You can get different thicknesses as well. I used 1" and 1.5" and they worked great.
The brand doesn't really matter as 2'x4' duct board, 1" thick, in 3lb density is gonna be very simliar across the different brands.

Charles

Agent
thanks for the help. Sounds like what I need. Is it strong enough to staple into that stuff when I apply fabric (without breaking)?

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I doubt staples would hold all that well. The fiberglass doesn't really give anything for the staples to hold on to.

I used and would suggest using spray adhesive to attach the fabric.
Lay the fabric out on the ground and lay the panel on top of the fabric. If your boards came with a backing, put the fiberglass side down against the fabric. Trim the fabric so there is 3"-6" of overlap, to be folded onto the back of the panel. Spray the adhesive onto the back of the fiberglass panels and allow to sit about 20-30 seconds to get "tacky", then stretch the fabric around the panel.

I got panels with the "FSK" backing, which is a foil backing and works great with the spray adhesive.

I used T pins to attach the panels to the wall, pushed through the edges of the panel. Hardly noticeable unless you get right next to the panel and look for them.

Another way to attach them is to glue flat backed thumb tacks to the back side of the panel. Put one tack in each corner and one or two near the middle. I'd do this before stretching the fabric, that way the fabric can stretch right over the tacks, and be pushed through.
I did this at first but found the T pins to work better.

Sean_avnut

Grip
Brian -

This sounds like an easy project. These fiberglass boards do they release fibers in the air? Do they have formaldihyde? (spelling?)

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks