Accoustic Research or Monster Cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Beau B, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Hello to all

I need a new S-Video and optical cable and wanted to know if AR cables are just as good as Monster or not.

Also, if I have option of Optical or Coax which to use, and is Componet video that much better than S-Video.

Thanks

Beau

2. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Both AR and Monster make many different lines of cable, so a blanket comparison isn't really possible. It'd be like asking if a Chevy is faster than a Ford without specifying what model.

In general AR is perceived as offering better value than Monster though.

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Beau,

How about some more info. Besides which actual wires/models, what you'll be connecting, etc.

Component and Svid won't be that different for a 20" TV. Could be a big difference (depending upon quality of cables, etc.) on a FPTV. Thus why posting some info would help us help you.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

One of our administrators had a spare component cable lying around and decided to play with his bedroom system. He replaced the SVideo cable with the component cable and noticed a visible improvement.

The big jump is from Composite to SVideo. But component is still a bit better because:

- SVideo still has to go through a filter to extract a signal

- The SVideo cable is really 2 30-gauge wires in a single sheath. Component is 3 18-gauge wires each in a separate sheath.

So while a few $$ more, component cables seem the way to go.

5. steven pm

steven pm Agent

As for differences, I don't think you'll notice any difference at all, outside of your wallet. The AR's are fine, and will transmit as good a picture as your equipment is capable of producing and displaying. I've even used cheaper cables than AR, but ones that are shielded and proper 75-ohm with good connectors.

Component will be a bit better than s-video, but the big jump, as noted above, is from composite to s-video.

As for coax v. optical, both should be fine. I have heard that a couple of people had some problems with very cheap no-name optical cables. Coax is a bit more forgiving at the low end. But with decent cables, they should both relay identically good signals, and again top-dollar cables are not necessary to get the best signal.

6. steven pm

steven pm Agent

[whoops, double post, didn't see a delete option!]

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Yuo can find AR Pro cables really cheap at www.ac4l.com