Help! Want to Upgrade Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Webb, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Kevin Webb

Kevin Webb Agent

I wanted to get some opinions on the best way to upgrade my CD/music portion of my system.

Budget is around $300

Current setup:
    Yamaha RX-630
    Panasonic RA60 (got one of the few in existence)
    Front Speakers: Wharfdale Rubience RB-25
    Rear Speakers: JBL SCS125

The Panasonic is a DVD/DVD-Audio player that sounds nice, but I think I can boost the performance of my CD's.

Am I better served looking at getting a dedicated CD player? Preference is quality over capacity so I have been looking at everything from a NAD 521i to a Sony CA70ES.

Or would I get improvement from upgrading the cables. I'm using the basic Accoustic Research cables, which I think are as good as the entry level Monsters for half the price.

What's the best route? If I had to place a priority, it would be quality, specifically improved detail.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Sony's ES line of CD players offer some wonderful redbook CD performance. I was very impressed with the improvement in CD playback performance when I recently upgraded to a Sony 555ES SACD/CD carousel player over an old entry level Sony carousel player. Low and mid-level DVD players are usually not known for excellent CD playback, so this may be the best place to spend your money.

If you are only looking for CD playback capabilities, the CA70ES would be a good choice. However, the 222ES SACD/CD carousel player also would fit into your budget, and would give you stereo and multi-channel SACD capabilities.

3. Kevin Webb

Kevin Webb Agent

Thanks for the info Scott. I have been reading the positive reviews of the CA70ES and the 222/555ES players and am definately concidering them. Now, I just have to find someplace that still has them [​IMG]

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Another good online choice for Sony ES products is www.onecall.com . Make sure you call their toll free number for the lowest price, though. Their website does not always list their lowest prices.