What's new

Absolute Beginner! (1 Viewer)

Denis Lenihan

Auditioning
Real Name
Denis
Hello All.

As above, all I know about home theatre is.... I know nothing! We are building our first house and at the point where cables need to be installed for data and satellite. Our first electrician wired in a single data and single co axial cable in the kitchen, living room(in two locations) and both bedrooms. The data only connects to an outside phone line. The co axial cable seems to connected in all kinds of ways!

I bought a 305 m box of cat5e and a reel of co ax. I have two data and one co ax now routed to all the rooms mentioned above, all finishing in our utility.

I have a basic idea of networking modems, router switch etc. This bit I can muddle through. When it comes to media/sat/theatre.... not a clue.

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

Denis.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Where to start...hhhmmm

Want whole home audio?
Each room "separate"?

Doing a projector, or a big TV?
Want 5/7/9/11.1 or a soundbar?

Want network control?

Denis Lenihan

Auditioning
Real Name
Denis
Hello schan1269.

I'd love a projector but none of our rooms are suitable. We have a couple of 40 inch led TV's, one Smart. I am aiming for a networked setup, with Networked storage for media. We have a really basic 40w sound bar on one of the TVs, which is weak but so much better than the speakers in the TV.

My goal, as such, would be stealth, minimal cabling/wireless connection, with reasonable quality. Our budget is just that, budget! I would love to hide the heart of any system with the sat receiver, router , NAS and switch.

I just don't know enough about the topic. My wish list is probably a frustrating mess of an idea!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is actually simple. If, you know what you want.

You want your devices in one place...and video/audio transferred all over the house...with remote codes sent to that room.

That "automation" costs money.

Xantech is your remote code transfer.
Cat 5e/6 is you audio/video transfer.

Hope you have a $3000 budget...just for the automation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks