What's new

about the rear center channel (1 Viewer)

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
hi all..

to set-up a 6.1 channel, what type of speaker do you use for the rear center? a center channel speaker, fronts or rears?

thought i'd like to know what you guys use yourselves..

thanks..

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I've used two small monitors, but now am using a center channel. Either way works fine. Might depend upon how close they will be to the listening position.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to use a center channel matching the front center. Then I heard talk that I should use two speakers in the rear. So I did. my 7.1 system works extremely well. I can't imagine how a single center would provide the smooth wrap from side to side that two speakers can.

and for 7.1, I made all the rear speakers matching. So the rear back speakers are the same as the rear side. If you're going to use only one, then you should use a dedicated center channel, preferably, one matched to your rear speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have 4 identical monopoles, though since I am running 6.1, I am only using 3 of them.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I had 4 Def-tech BP2X's for a 7.1 surround setup,but I did not like the bipolar pair on the back wall. I grabbed my large bookshelf speaker from upstairs and changed my Denon's setup to 6.1. This is the way I like it best. IMHO you need direct rads. for the back whether you use 1 or 2. I found the best scene to listen to the differences is to play Gladiator in ES discrete and listen to the sword throw in the chapter called: A soldiers death. With the bipolars the sound seemed to come from everywhere, while with the direct speaker I thought the sword was whistling right over my head. Hope this helps.

Wayner

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
thanks again, folks.. :) i could see here different ways to solve this problem..
would you say Wayne, supposed you've used a pair of monopoles instead of the pair of bipoles, just like John, that you would've been satisfied as well?
btw, Scott and Haru, do you use bipoles or monopoles?
Cire

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks