What's new

a result of a dream: bizarre question about oranges (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
Ok, this question came to me in a dream last night. And yes, I have dreams like this all the time.

So, when you peel a navel orange, you have that white rindy stuff that sticks to the sections, with some of it running down the middle. Of course, compared to the puply section of the orange, it tastes pretty bland. Most people try to peel as much of the white stuff away before they eat it.

However, say you open up a can of Mandarin oranges. I know they're not navels, but an orange is an orange. Generally, you'll find no white matter at all attached to these perfect sections of mandarin orange.

So how do they get all the white rindy matter off the mandarin orange sections? Or do Mandarin oranges come in some different kind of peel that doesn't contain the white stuff?

I need to know.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Possibly when soaked in water or some special process that removes them. Try 'Google'ing it.

But seriously man, that's one pretty farked up dream.

Todd K

Second Unit
I'm not subconsciously obsessed with fruit!! Someday people will realize I was a dreamer ahead of my time.

And actually, my google search came up "fruitless." I did find out that this white material is apparently called the "membrane." The most I was able to find out was that Mandarin oranges do peel easily and that the membranes are removed prior to canning, but they didn't say how.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Why don't you buy a mandarin orange, one that isn't in a can :rolleyes::) and find out? They are much smaller than navel oranges but they can pack some power (and seeds!). They still have that white rindy stuff as you call it on the outside but it's generally smaller in a compact form.

As far as how the caning companies get them off the oranges?

Beets me ;)

Jay

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Mandarin oranges are peeled before canning. They do not have the membrane on the outside, so they don't have any white stuff attached to it.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
FYI: the strings on bananas are called "phloem bundles" (pronounced FLOM) and they carry nutrition to all parts of the banana. :)

EDIT: That pronunciation is wrong. It's actually FLOW-em, as in xylem and phloem, which you may remember from high school biology class.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
This is from the a dream interpretation website:
"To see orange trees in your dream, signifies health and prosperity.
To dream that you are eating oranges, denotes negative vibes, dissatisfaction in your business circles, illness in the family, or separation/loss of a lover."

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
To get the mandarin orange membranes off they use silica.

I thought everybody knew that.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Joey,

You forgot this:

"To dream that you are buying oranges, indicates you will be gunned down by Sollozzo's men."

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
knock knock!
who's there?
orange.
orange who?
orange you glad i didn't say banana?

ya know todd, i didn't think i should bring this up, but i just can't help myself.

i had a friend who said he knew someone who could only ... ummm ... let's just say "pop his cork" if someone beat him with softened oranges around his ... well ... ya know ....

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The oranges are placed in boiling water/steam which loosens the skin, membranes and pith and are then mechanically skinned using a machine (believe it or not, mandarin skinning machines actually exist) or they are done by hand (most mandarin canning is done in Spain, Morocco, and various Asian countries, where labour is relatively cheap).

Oh and Dennis - tangerines (along with satsumas and several others) are part of the mandarin family, not the other way round.

Todd K

Second Unit
Thanks Andrew! The HTF knows all. To test if this works on navel oranges as well, I plan to steam some and hire a Moroccan to peel them.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Didn't have any weird dreams of oranges, mandarines, or bananas, but there was this one dream where a gave a HTF member - who I've never met nor know personally - a grand tour of my Home Theatre room and setup. Gladly, nothing was missing when I woke up :)

:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks