What's new

A question for my dad (1 Viewer)

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
My dad has just recently purchased a SVS pb12/plus2. He is by no means a normal bass enthuisist. He wants as much bass as these things can produce. And from what I see with these creatures that is a lot. Anyway he has a 3600 square vollume room. Now he has one of these in a corner or the room. He has the LFE of the reciever at -4. Which Svs told him to keep it about there and from there crank up the gain on the subs. The point to where he is happy with the wall crumbling bass is about 3/4 up on the gain. He has one port plugged and set at 20 hz. That's where he likes it. So the question is he is afraid of if he has the gain up this far and sometimes a little past 3/4 that the subwoofer is working really hard to give him the bass he requires. He wants this subwoofer to last him a lot a years. Probally till he's dead. He wants to know if he would buy another SVS pb12/plus2 if it would share the impact of the bass and then he doesen't have to have the gains so far up. Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is exactly what a second one would do, but it shouldn't hurt that unit to have it up that high in all honesty.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
SVS’s BASH-powered subs have built-in limiters, so he can’t easily damage the sub. Running out of output – that’s another issue. If that’s the case, and he doesn’t want that to happen, then yes he needs to add another one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Is the sub calibrated? It would be somewhat useful to know where he listens to it in reference to a reference point of some sort. For instance, it would be useful to know if he calibrated his system to 80dB and runs his sub 4 dB hot or something along those lines. If the system has not been calibrated with an SPL meter that might be a good place to start.

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I calibrated it in with Avia and an spl meter. I am not sure what you mean by running it hot. If your asking about what the sub output of the receiver is it is set at -4. Which is where SVS said you should try and stay around.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you calibrated everything to 85db and you run the sub at 88db, then that is 3db "hot".

Have you gone the next step and measured the frequency response of the sub? Your SPL meter, test tones and the Radio Shack SPL meter correction values are all you need to get started. A more accurate method is Room EQ Wizard. A nice bonus in REQ, is the ability to make adjustments to a Behringer Feedback Destroyer via software. That will guarantee a flat response in the bass frequencies.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks