What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
With A Fistful of Dollars, the Western genre received a dramatic face lift at a time when the genre was waning in popularity with the movie going public. While Italian westerns were made in conjunction with Spain and Germany in the past, this movie was the first to truly be considered a Spaghetti Western, giving birth to the sub-genre. In the process, the success of the movie helped boost the careers of director Sergio Leone and composer Ennio Morricone while launching an actor who previously had bit parts in movies and success on TV as part of the cast of Rawhide into international superstardom – Clint Eastwood. The recent release of the movie by Kino offers up some bright spots as well as some flaws.

Fistful of Dollars (1964)

Released: 18 Jan 1967
Rated: R
Runtime: 99 min

Director: Sergio Leone
Genre: Western

Cast: Clint Eastwood, Marianne...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
After reading the other thread I just got the German 2 disc with this & FAFDM. The AFOD PQ on that release is a big :thumbsup:.

I take it the special features on this disc aren't messed up like on Kino's TGTBATU?

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Mychal. Like ScottjH above, I also opted for the German double feature release of the first two films from the trilogy based on RAH's comments and experiencing Kino's release of TGBATU first hand. I'm happy with that purchase, and will be passing on Kino's release of For a Few Dollars More, too.

BTW, Mychal, which "Tigers" are you a fan of?

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Thanks for the review, Mychal. Like ScottjH above, I also opted for the German double feature release of the first two films from the trilogy based on RAH's comments and experiencing Kino's release of TGBATU first hand. I'm happy with that purchase, and will be passing on Kino's release of For a Few Dollars More, too.

BTW, Mychal, which "Tigers" are you a fan of?

To answer your question, the "tigers" I speak of are the Detroit Tigers.

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
After reading the other thread I just got the German 2 disc with this & FAFDM. The AFOD PQ on that release is a big :thumbsup:.

I take it the special features on this disc aren't messed up like on Kino's TGTBATU?

All the Spaghetti trailers on the FOD Kino are still mis-encoded at 15fps. The other special features appear to be fine. "Trailers from hell" featurette uses a lousy source for the Italian trailer which is available in great quality on the Italian and Japanese discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks