What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Orange is closer to the true colour of the "red" planet.
Agreed. I wanted to get some confirmation as to the color on original 1953 prints, and am happy with what Criterion has given us. Not only per colo, but overall resolution. It’s a superior disc to the new 4k.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And yet...

1664056724930.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I checked, I streamed WWC from Vudu. Is it Vudu's policy to automatically upgrade?
Vudu doesn't automatically upgrade digitals to 4K. However, they do upgrade HD digitals quite often. Just last week, I had about ten titles that were in SD that upgraded to HD.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
When Worlds Collide is on TCMHD right now. Looks like the Imprint Blu-ray except I'm seeing more details and deeper color than the dvdbeaver screen shots.
Good to hear some comments on WWC streaming. Now all we need is for someone to compare the stream and the Paramount Blu-ray!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had never considered the possibility that a technician whose never seen this movie before would think that the planet seen at the beginning of the movie would think it’s Earth. So he/she made it blue! That seems like a possible explanation.

Of course all that tech would need to do is review the earlier versions on home video. But I guess their Ib Print was what they went by. Here it is on DVD:

WotW DVD Mars 2.png
Josh’s comment in the other War of the Worlds 4K thread made me think of this line from another film:

Bowman: Well HAL, I’m damned if I can find anything wrong with it.

Hal: Yes…. it’s puzzling. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like this before.

I‘m imagining there might be a movement to have Miss Kalas removed from her post for this and other recent releases. I’m quite disappointed that she is doubling down that there is nothing wrong with To Catch a Thief.

From how I’m reading Mr. Harris’s review and another review from Colin is that The War of the Worlds on this 4K release is not benefiting from being on 4K.

For me, going 4K is not only about getting more detail that’s rendered more sharply or clearly on the fabric of Gene Barry‘s jacket or Ann Robinson‘s hair. Though the jump from DVD to blu ray did increase detail sharpness, but it seems it’s more about color depth, better image density and mid tones if I’m understanding the jargon. If there is no real improvement from The Criterion blu ray to the new Paramount 4K, I’m happy with the Criterion. It’s looks great. What I’m really looking forward to is When Worlds Collide. (And we’ll see a real collision on Monday in space. )

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
When Worlds Collide is on TCMHD right now. Looks like the Imprint Blu-ray except I'm seeing more details and deeper color than the dvdbeaver screen shots.

Good to hear some comments on WWC streaming. Now all we need is for someone to compare the stream and the Paramount Blu-ray!
Looked excellent to me. I didn’t see any scratches per the review of the Imprint release.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I don't know if the Digital bits review was placed into the conversation, so here you go, for reference and thier 2 cents.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Imprint and Paramount aren't taken from the same source FWIW. You can see some obvious misalignment on a few of the Imprint caps on Beaver that isn't present in the Paramount and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks