What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I had never considered the possibility that a technician whose never seen this movie before would think that the planet seen at the beginning of the movie would think it’s Earth. So he/she made it blue! That seems like a possible explanation.

The dialogue does discuss how the Martians had their eye on Earth, so it seems plausible that the story would've then showed our planet.

Yes, the continental structure isn't quite right for Earth, but c'mon - it's a sci-fi movie from 1953. No one expects perfection.

I admit that when I watched the 4K, I thought it was supposed to be Earth. (Yes, I'd seen the movie previously, but just a couple times, so it's not ingrained on my memory.)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The dialogue does discuss how the Martians had their eye on Earth, so it seems plausible that the story would've then showed our planet.

Yes, the continental structure isn't quite right for Earth, but c'mon - it's a sci-fi movie from 1953. No one expects perfection.

I admit that when I watched the 4K, I thought it was supposed to be Earth. (Yes, I'd seen the movie previously, but just a couple times, so it's not ingrained on my memory.)
Looking at the captures on beaver now it shows the blue Mars he mentions the red then shows a picture of earrth too you know wouldnt it be something if the red was wrong and it is really earth being show and the martians were eyeing earth ------- that would mean paramount was right and everyone else wrong for decades
1664377486483.png
1664377516333.png

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Looking at the captures on beaver now it shows the blue Mars he mentions the red then shows a picture of earrth too you know wouldnt it be something if the red was wrong and it is really earth being show and the martians were eyeing earth ------- that would mean paramount was right and everyone else wrong for decades.
Except Paramount's own DVD for the film has it as red/orange.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

they did however have globes of the earth in 1957...?

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I love how the myth about only one shot being "off" keeps inspiring deep inspection. Think it out! The specific process used to remove those wires transformed the color palette of this movie from beginning to end, and we can spend all day citing additional examples of shots being incorrect (here's an easy one; our old friend Mars is white when it should be red in the final 'tour of planets' shot; check the DVD). The inconvenient truth of it all is that this entire restoration, blazingly pretty though it is, requires re-grading for color accuracy. It needed it when it was originally released, it needs it now.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Blu-ray.com just put up their review---

"This classic film earns the UHD treatment it deserves. This stands as one of the hallmark UHDs for catalogue picture quality excellence. The audio is solid, too (but missing the original soundtrack option available on the Criterion disc). There's a good assortment of legacy bonus content, too, but this disc does not include all of the Criterion bonuses. As part of the above-liked two-pack, and individually if that ever happens, this disc earns my highest recommendation." :wacko:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Blu-ray.com just put up their review---

"This classic film earns the UHD treatment it deserves. This stands as one of the hallmark UHDs for catalogue picture quality excellence. The audio is solid, too (but missing the original soundtrack option available on the Criterion disc). There's a good assortment of legacy bonus content, too, but this disc does not include all of the Criterion bonuses. As part of the above-liked two-pack, and individually if that ever happens, this disc earns my highest recommendation." :wacko:
I'm really starting to think that Blu-Ray.com's reviewers are doing this intentionally to piss off their own forum.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe the point has been made re the correct color of Mars.

Wagons have been circled, and the old public fall-back, ie the consultation of original dye transfer print(s) has come to the fore. It would seem time to post untouched frames from such prints - inclusive of track area, and thus, end the discussion or acknowledge a possible error - even if it goes unfixed.

My larger problem with the WotW 4k is the lack of understanding revolving around grain management on Melrose.

When to use it, and when not to use it.

This procedure seems stuck in reverse in this case with this 4k release mimicking the appearance if three heavily grained black & white prints being run concurrently. This is simply nothing akin to what Technicolor actually looked like.

I’m sure there’s a store somewhere in Hollywood that still carries Blu-rays. If not, there’s always the on line function.

Take a look at what Warner Bros. does with Tech, Even if occasionally a bit more highly resolved than was seen in contemporary prints, it doesn‘t appear as a background plate from Days of Heaven.

This is as easily handled as Paramount placing someone with a love of film and a knowledge of film history in charge of that arena.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I take it you’re n
Wagons have been circled, and the old public fall-back, ie the consultation of original dye transfer print(s) has come to the fore. It would seem time to post untouched frames from such prints - inclusive of track area, and thus, end the discussion or acknowledge a possible error - even if it goes unfixed.

This is as easily handled as Paramount placing someone with a love of film and a knowledge of film history in charge of that arena.
You've been going at Paramount pretty hard. Well, it seems like they have circled the wagons regarding grain management too. I could be wrong, but it appears you won't be invited to lunch any time soon on Melrose Ave.:laugh:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I'm really starting to think that Blu-Ray.com's reviewers are doing this intentionally to piss off their own forum.
They're even citing The Digital Bits sometimes as evidence against their own site's reviews, which is a real "down for you is up" situation. They used to pretty consistently consider all other sites to be wrong at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks