What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
What I didn’t know if what I’m reading is true, is that painting was rough concept art. Not meant as a final piece. But someone decided it looked great and decided to use it as is.

View attachment 158175
That's not surprising, since it looks like a painting and not a landscape. I always just assumed it was a budgetary thing.
---------------

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This is a tough one. Kind of like To Catch a Thief. This disc looks great. But if you have the Imprint disc, then you’re either kind of spoiled or misdirected. Maybe the Imprint disc is not properly presenting the film. One now has an option to watch either if one owns both. I may defer to the Paramount disc because I like the color during the climatic escape sequence.

Since I'm perfectly satisfied with the Criterion BD of The War of the Worlds, I felt no special reason to get Paramount's new two-fer release. I also have the Imprint release of When Worlds Collide, which, while not perfect, is good enough for me. I certainly don't feel the need to get the Paramount release just for what may or may not be an improvement on the Imprint.

Whether the Imprint of When Worlds Collide is "properly presenting the film" or not isn't an issue for me. It's an improvement over every previous viewing I've had of the film. Since I'm not quite old enough to have seen it when it was first released (not that I'd remember how it looked if I had) I have no opinion about whether it's properly presented.

Reed Grele

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I finally got around to watching both of the new Paramount releases: War of the Worlds and When Worlds Collide.

Since I don't own the imprint transfer of When Worlds Collide I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison. I thought Paramount's transfer looked wonderful. So no complaints with this film.

War of the Worlds in 4K didn't look any better than my Criterion 1080 BD release. In fact, in addition to the bluish "red" planet at the beginning, I noticed some banding in a few of the darker scenes. Not sure if I remember seeing that on the criterion. I'll have to check sometime.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Shouldn't Mars be blue?? ;)
No, you're thinking of the "Other" Mars!!!
Looney Tunes No GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nick, that’s really cool shot of Mars. I gather that’s not the actor Andrew McCarthy? I’ve thought about trying astrophotography and getting one of those types of telescopes.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

"Well, this is the one I was looking forward to, despite the fact that they had damaged CITY LIGHTS by making that purely budgetary decision regarding the visibility of the wires, and then asked me if Chaplin had personally told me that the wires shouldn’t show. I was friendly with Jerry Epstein, Chaplin’s producer on LIMELIGHT, A KING IN NEW YORK, A COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG, and THE FREAK. I brought him into class when I was doing a History of Film Comedy semester on Chaplin’s work and he had a great time reminiscing. But why, at any juncture back then, should I have, out of nowhere, posed the question “Hey Jerry, did Chaplin want us to see those wires in CITY LIGHTS?” Why would I have done that?"

...what is he talking about?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Well, this is the one I was looking forward to, despite the fact that they had damaged CITY LIGHTS by making that purely budgetary decision regarding the visibility of the wires, and then asked me if Chaplin had personally told me that the wires shouldn’t show. I was friendly with Jerry Epstein, Chaplin’s producer on LIMELIGHT, A KING IN NEW YORK, A COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG, and THE FREAK. I brought him into class when I was doing a History of Film Comedy semester on Chaplin’s work and he had a great time reminiscing. But why, at any juncture back then, should I have, out of nowhere, posed the question “Hey Jerry, did Chaplin want us to see those wires in CITY LIGHTS?” Why would I have done that?"

...what is he talking about?
The fact that a rep from Criterion wanted to know if he discussed the wires with Chaplin.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks RAH for that link to the reviews of the WotW’s DVD and blu ray releases. Interesting theory that the blue-ish Mars could be due to a 3D test print used erroneously for the 2D version.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ah! Films in Review. I used to love that magazine and looked forward to receiving each new copy in the mail. I still have many of them on my shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
augustosv
Recent bookmarks