What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]It seems like Paramount tried, but it seems we will never know what happened. They insist they did the work correctly on this release. As was said, maybe a 4K release will fix everything.[...]
It no longer matters if Paramount states its mistake; as we, across the boards, know differently. A misfortune of error is bound to happen, while other transfers and discs will shine.

No doubts, it’s time to bring on the 4K/UHD.

Meanwhile, I strongly remain in support of the “Paramount Pictures Presents” BD program. After all, with their release of “Roman Holiday”, how long could one go on resisting?

Excellent post, Nelson.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Philip, you’re much too kind!

I think it was Josh or another member suggested that maybe Paramount did the right things, but along the way to the transfer to the blu ray (that is out of their hands), something went wrong? But then they still had to OK the release. So it was suggested maybe the transfer to 4K might be able to correct those issues.

Reactions: PMF

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It’s nearly a year since I watched this disc. I can see that it’s frustrating for many here as it is for me. From all the comments, and what I’ve read is factual information about the right color for the night scenes, the 2012 blu ray has it right, or as right as it can be compared to the ib print. So it seems the 2012 disc best replicates the actual released print from 1955? But then I thought I read that Hitchcock wanted the night scenes to have a certain black bluish color. But they ended up green on the release prints in 1955. So maybe that’s why the night scenes are bluish on the 2020 disc.

This thread and that post with the image comparisons inspired me to have a look at the 2012 and 2020 releases again, I compared the flower market sequence. And before I forget, my impressions of the 2020 disc when I first saw it is that I thought some sequences looked great and others maybe not. The titles looked better rendered, the color and clarity of the type on the screen as well as the image of the travel agency window. And the exterior shot of the salmon colored hotel impressed me with the color. As I said before, it looked like a layer of varnish was removed to expose the real color.

I don’t think a blu ray release can fairly be judged by screen caps. So I compared the flower market sequence, I did notice the image is darker and denser on the 2012 release. And the image is sharper! I looked at Hughson’s suit and the fabric texture was very well defined while the 2020 release appeared to have a Gaussian blur applied over his suit. It’s hard to tell which colors are supposed to be right for the flowers, there was a lot of reds there and they looked good on the 2020 release, but the 2012 flower colors is denser, a bit more saturated, possibly due to the image not being brightened as it appears to be in the 2020 version. As far as skin tones look, I know Cary Grant liked to get his suntan, so I didn’t think he looked overly dark in the 2012 version. I might have to watch the whole move now that I started!

I’ve tried to not think about this release too much because it does frustrate me. It seems like Paramount tried, but it seems we will never know what happened. They insist they did the work correctly on this release. As was said, maybe a 4K release will fix everything.

I am waiting to better educate myself on which 4K display to upgrade to, so for now, I can’t see the iTunes version to compare. So from this quick exercise, it feels like the 2012 release has the more pleasing image. It’s sharp, not overly brightened, not cropped in and the green cast is there like the ib prints that’s been posted here. But if one didn’t have the 2012 disc, the 2020 release is watchable for sure for the uninitiated.

LG OLED

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I apologize for being off topic, but Osato is right. LG OLED has ruined me for any other TV. Consider your education complete! :)
Will, the LG OLED has also ruined any other TV for me, as well; and this is coming from a guy who doesn’t even own one...YET.

FILE UNDER: Value Electronics:cool:

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Will, the LG OLED has also ruined any other TV for me, as well; and this is coming from a guy who doesn’t even own one...YET.

FILE UNDER: Value Electronics:cool:

I Purchased a used 65” one from a friend that gave me an amazing deal. It’s unreal how good it is.

I watched to catch a thief 4k on my Oled and I thought it looked very good. I’ll have to compare to the older blu ray from 2012.

It’s hard to keep buying blu rays when paramount has done 4k masters. Give consumers a choice.

I would’ve bought a 4k blu ray disc of this title.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
Looks like it happened more often in the past with hard drive space at a premium.

For example the files for these also weren't kept before they received varying amounts of degraining and smoothing:

Patton
The Longest Day
Baraka - 8k scan with not even a 4k master or DCP remaining
I just watched the Restoration bonus on the Baraka disc. I believe what you are saying is that there is no 8K scan data from which to build a new 4K UHD? What a shame- and how short- sighted. Then I guess we won't be waiting on one....

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the Restoration bonus on the Baraka disc. I believe what you are saying is that there is no 8K scan data from which to build a new 4K UHD? What a shame- and how short- sighted. Then I guess we won't be waiting on one....
They did not even retain any 4k files. So indeed they would have to start from scratch.

To put things in perspective these were the very early days of 8k scans and this was the first title that was advertised as being derived from an 8k scan and back then the cost for retaining the data would have been substantial and they did not feel it was needed.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I Purchased a used 65” one from a friend that gave me an amazing deal. It’s unreal how good it is.

I watched to catch a thief 4k on my Oled and I thought it looked very good. I’ll have to compare to the older blu ray from 2012.

It’s hard to keep buying blu rays when paramount has done 4k masters. Give consumers a choice.

I would’ve bought a 4k blu ray disc of this title.

I'm optimistic about a 4k disc of this wonderful film, particularly now that Universal has set the ball rolling with the Hitchcock set. Also expecting North by Northwest following the remarks by George Feltenstein on the recent podcast. White Christmas on 4k for Christmas!?

JimMiller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Miller
I'm optimistic about a 4k disc of this wonderful film, particularly now that Universal has set the ball rolling with the Hitchcock set. Also expecting North by Northwest following the remarks by George Feltenstein on the recent podcast. White Christmas on 4k for Christmas!?
Was that on the Aug. 15th podcast?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

I’d buy both of those titles!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I apologize for being off topic, but Osato is right. The LG OLED has ruined me for any other TV. Consider your education complete! :)
Thanks Will, Osato, I missed this post. With all respects to LG owners, I had been waiting to see what Sony would do and I’m heavily leaning to the A9OJ. It’s pricey, but has been well reviewed. The only thing I don’t like or will use is Android TV.

And I’ll post again, i Hope there is a revised To Catch A Thief on blu ray and 4K blu ray to come. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks Will, Osato, I missed this post. With all respects to LG owners, I had been waiting to see what Sony would do and I’m heavily leaning to the A9OJ. It’s pricey, but has been well reviewed. The only thing I don’t like or will use is Android TV.

And I’ll post again, i Hope there is a revised To Catch A Thief on blu ray and 4K blu ray to come. :)
I believe Sony uses LG glass, with different electronics.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks