What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
EDITED AND APPENDED 5/10/2020

Sir Alfred’s 1955 VistaVision trifle has always been a favorite of mine.
It’s beautifully shot, and just plain fun.
For the third release in Paramount’s commemorative set, there have been a number of changes. Some of the more interesting extras on the original Blu-ray are gone, and replaced by far fewer.
I NOW HAVE MAJOR problems with grain structure, ALONG WITH COLOR AND DENSITY, and there’s the rub.
Every print that I’ve ever seen has had a green cast to night scenes – not referencing the green tile roof in certain sequences. That’s gone, and it’s now blue.
Do I know which is accurate?
I don’t. I can only refer to what I’ve always seen in original prints. One is best to check the Hitchcock print, if it survives, and compare.
What is a problem for me is an overriding brightening, almost as if someone was preparing the master for broadcast.
The worst is the elimination of the night effect in the sequence about 3/4 through the film. It used to be...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wow. I guess we can finally put the debate to bed. Thanks so much for weighing in on this controversial release, Robert!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. This is really too bad this blu ray release got a fail. I am really looking forward to seeing this film in its best possible version.

This new Paramount Presents line appears to be a premium line so I would hope the studio cares and does fix the day for night scene and other issues and does a recall. I’d hate to wait another 5 years for the 70th anniversary. Or maybe a sooner 4K blu ray release will be done that’s the perfect version? One can hope.

In the mean time, I’m still looking forward to seeing this new blu ray and adding it to my collection of the earlier DVD and 2012 blu ray versions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying this BD anyway. I still hope iTunes upgrades my HD digital to 4K so I can see for myself without having to spend any money.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And there we have it.
I trust RAH's opinion so I'm not questioning it. However, I still wonder if the video on this latest Blu-ray will be more pleasing to my eyes. I probably won't ever know, unless, iTunes upgrades the digital.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I wonder why the decision to change the night scenes? Was watching the new release last night and I am ok with it but I guess not a good way to start your Paramount Presents series.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying this BD anyway. I still hope iTunes upgrades my HD digital to 4K so I can see for myself without having to spend any money.
I'd recommend downloading your current version in the event iTunes "upgrades" the transfer. You'll still have the old transfer to watch.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
While the 2012 disc is overall very nice, it seems over-sharpened a bit (harsh). But the new screencaps show something over-filtered, with less detail, in addition to incorrect color, based on CG's jacket being more blue than grey, at least during the outdoor drive.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While the 2012 disc is overall very nice, it seems over-sharpened a bit (harsh). But the new screencaps show something over-filtered, with less detail, in addition to incorrect color, based on CG's jacket being more blue than grey, at least during the outdoor drive.

When grays go blue, you’re seeing fade

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I am not sure where but I seem to remember reading a Hitchcock interview where he mentioned using green filters for the night scenes. So that may well be the way it is supposed to look.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I am not sure where but I seem to remember reading a Hitchcock interview where he mentioned using green filters for the night scenes. So that may well be the way it is supposed to look.
If you're interested, there are several pages of debate about it in the other thread:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Disappointing, but I find the existing Blu-ray to look wonderful. Between being an inferior master and losing most of the supplements, that's one less disc I have to upgrade. Maybe they'll do it right for 4K.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Sir Alfred's 1955 VistaVision trifle has always been a favorite of mine.

It's beautifully shot, and just plain fun.

For the third release in Paramount's commemorative set, there have been a number of changes. Some of the more interesting extras on the original Blu-ray are gone, and replaced by far fewer.

While I still have some minimal problems with grain structure, there are color and density changes, and there's the rub.

Every print that I've ever seen has had a green cast to night scenes - not referencing the green tile roof in certain sequences. That's gone, and it's now blue.

Do I know which is accurate?

I don't. I can only refer to what I've always seen in original prints. One is best to check the Hitchcock print, if it survives, and compare.

What is a problem for me is an overriding brightening, almost as if someone was preparing the master for broadcast.

The worst is the elimination of the night effect in the sequence about 3/4 through the film. It used to be night - a greenish cast, but definitely night.

That's gone, and the entire sequence is now incorrect, with the night effect removed.

It now appears to be pretty day, shot to be darkened in post...

But it isn't.

Best to stick with the 2012 release, which may not be perfect, but is still a treat, and generally correct.

If this were my commemorative release, pushing the history of the studio, I'd recall it, and start with a new scan.

Image - 3

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Fail

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray - No

Definitely Not Recommended

RAH

Many thanks for this, Robert. I was getting a lot of flack for suggesting similarly that the image had been brightened and that the green tint was gone - for what reason, not sure. Also, did you notice the minor aliasing during the main titles. Again, loved the 2012 Blu and this one was a wash - especially since we lost nearly an hour of grade 'A' extra features. Thanks for your expertise on this. Maybe some of the others who jumped me on this will settle down now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks