What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have a 65" and 77" LG OLED and just love them. I was never happy with my samsung 65". I still have two 720p panasonic hd plasma tvs. Thank goodness i have a double house with many rooms for all these.
My 55" Hisense QLED crapped out on me after a little over a year [the ONE time I don't buy extended warranty], so I replaced it with a non-QLED 4K WITH extended warranty. My Panny 3D Plasma is still going strong after 8 years, and when I replace it, I'll be getting a 3D capable projector.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Spanish retail sources are indicating that Universal is planning another big wave of Alfred Hitchcock titles for release in 4K UHD this year. This batch is expected to include Saboteur (1942), Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Marnie (1964), The Trouble with Harry (1955), To Catch a Thief (1955), and Family Plot (1976). Remastering on all on all of them is apparently complete. Note that To Catch a Thief is a Paramount title here in the States, so expect it to come from them on their own schedule. The others would seem likely to be released as an Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection: Volume 2 box set by Universal here in the States, but we’ll have to wait and see.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
If you by the new TO CATCH A THIEF, the digital download was in 4k. I actually bought the date night blu ray set that had LOVE STORY, BAREFOOT IN THE PARK, and TO CATCH A THIEF. The digital downloads for LOVE STORY and TO CATCH A THIEF were both 4k.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Spanish retail sources are indicating that Universal is planning another big wave of Alfred Hitchcock titles for release in 4K UHD this year. This batch is expected to include Saboteur (1942), Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Marnie (1964), The Trouble with Harry (1955), To Catch a Thief (1955), and Family Plot (1976). Remastering on all on all of them is apparently complete. Note that To Catch a Thief is a Paramount title here in the States, so expect it to come from them on their own schedule. The others would seem likely to be released as an Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection: Volume 2 box set by Universal here in the States, but we’ll have to wait and see.

I’m very excited about this news!

So glad I bought this universal set on iTunes before wave 1! I’m loving the free 4k upgrades! Can’t wait!

I also picked up to catch a thief but can’t recall if it was before or after the 4k update.

Thief is one I may pick up on disc too. I held on to my old Blu-ray from years ago too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

If you by the new TO CATCH A THIEF, the digital download was in 4k. I actually bought the date night blu ray set that had LOVE STORY, BAREFOOT IN THE PARK, and TO CATCH A THIEF. The digital downloads for LOVE STORY and TO CATCH A THIEF were both 4k.

Are there really enough to gain in 4K for all those Hitchcock films beyond To Catch a Thief?

I get the feeling not that much (relative to a good remastered BD that is)... and maybe new 4K digitals would be plenty good enough (for me anyway), so that's probably what I'll end up doing...

FWIW, I do already have both To Catch a Thief (in 4K) and Barefoot in the Park (awaiting potential free 4K upgrade) on iTunes.

_Man_

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I hope quality control gives these discs a good once over before releasing them. Getting tired of all the recalled/corrected discs lately.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
This was originally presented in deluxe Paramount Theatres in the recommended ratio of 1.85:1 on a Curvilinear screen (maximum height/width) with three channel (left/center/right) Perspecta Stereophonic Sound. Note the proper speaker placement behind the raised screen in the lower right image.

For accurate information on this unique sound system, please visit: Facts about Perspecta

If you'd like to hear a properly restored Perspecta track, check out the Scream Factory Blu-ray release of THIS ISLAND EARTH.

To Catch 8.9.55.JPG

Vistavision Perspecta .jpg

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have the first blu-ray of To Catch A Thief and I think it looks really good. I was sorry to hear the paramount presents version didn’t meet standards, which raises the question: Why mess with something that was working?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[Is] there really enough to gain in 4K for all those Hitchcock films beyond To Catch a Thief?
In the case of To Catch a Thief the gains of a 4K/UHD would be plenty, if for only the opportunity to have Paramount address and rectify what wasn’t fully nailed in accordance to all that’s been discussed on every forum including HTF.

If you are asking about a 4K/UHD gain for each of the Hitchcock films thereafter, I can only direct you towards Universal’s 4 disc set of Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho and The Birds and put forth my own vote for an unequivocal YES. Simply magnificent.

North by Northwest must surely be next. And for that matter, all of DP Robert Burks works - Hitchcock or not - are a commanding factor for this format.

On a final bid, and to whichever studio now owns the rights, let’s give some much needed restorative attentions to The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks