What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thing (1982) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, the shot of the theater screen shows an aspect ratio of approx. 2:1 instead of the 2.40 it should be.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Was a finalist in the Fangoria "Draw The Thing" contest and still have my button and name in the magazine. Saw it opening weekend and kept laughing in wonder at the efx. I could tell the audience hated the ending and then Siskel/Ebert told America not to go see it (can we acknowledge Ebert was a terrible critic although a lovely person?). Even as a 15 year old I knew this should have come out in the fall and witout that terrible parka monster ad that helped kill it over the superior "Man is the warmest place to hide" early ads.

I saw it on 35mm with a print from Universal last night and if you want an informal comparison, I found the 35mm frame shorter (could be the screen, etc.) but much darker and that could be the screen/projector tho it did look great on the big screen while the 4k is much wider and lighter -- look at that jacket -- and it definitely shows in this scene.
View attachment 148814 View attachment 148815

Yes, the shot of the theater screen shows an aspect ratio of approx. 2:1 instead of the 2.40 it should be.
In modern theatres, correct AR is a crapshoot at best. Only guys like Peter take the proper care of masking and aperture plates to ensure it’s as close as possible.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I know I should get this. I have the Universal blu and I'm sure this is a nice upgrade with all the special features. But man, does my wallet scream at me every time I think about pulling the trigger. :eek:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I know I should get this. I have the Universal blu and I'm sure this is a nice upgrade with all the special features. But man, does my wallet scream at me every time I think about pulling the trigger. :eek:

Well, if you're patient, it'll probably drop below $10 at Gruv.com at some point (at least after applying the perpetual 20%-off coupon, if not before)... maybe as we approach Halloween perhaps... OR it'll probably also get there come BF week...

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
then Siskel/Ebert told America not to go see it
They did no such thing. Siskel actually gave it a thumbs up and Ebert gave it 2 1/2 stars and said this in his print review.

“there's no need to see this version unless you are interested in what the Thing might look like while starting from anonymous greasy organs extruding giant crab legs and transmuting itself into a dog. Amazingly, I'll bet that thousands, if not millions, of moviegoers are interested in seeing just that.”

Here’s the video

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They did no such thing. Siskel actually gave it a thumbs up and Ebert gave it 2 1/2 stars and said this in his print review.

“there's no need to see this version unless you are interested in what the Thing might look like while starting from anonymous greasy organs extruding giant crab legs and transmuting itself into a dog. Amazingly, I'll bet that thousands, if not millions, of moviegoers are interested in seeing just that.”

Here’s the video

The Siskel and Ebert comments are in line with what I thought they would be in 1982. During our movie theater experience back in 1982, my brother and I thought this film was cutting edge with the special effects, but extremely gross. So gross, we laughed out loud several times during the course of the movie. During our afternoon matinee, there were less than 10 other people in the audience and I think all of us were pretty shocked as to what we were seeing that afternoon. We loved it and thought the movie was awesome! However, I can see why some people would be grossed out by this ground breaking movie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
To be honest, I was hiding behind my hands through several tense moments of the movie which I found sometimes almost unbearably suspenseful. Yes, I was grossed out by some of the effects, but I went in expecting that. I was just so pleased that Carpenter could wind me up so tightly. That's what you want from a thriller.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It was a bleak, nihilistic film at a time when audiences wanted something light and upbeat. It was probably never going to be a big hit, but it had particularly bad timing.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Never release depressing sci-fi during an economic recession? :D
Audiences were totally consumed floating in the euphoric feel-good cloud that was E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial when The Thing hit theaters two weeks later. They just weren't in the mood for something that was about as far as you could get from puppies, rainbows, and cute aliens.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Audiences were totally consumed floating in the euphoric feel-good cloud that was E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial when The Thing hit theaters two weeks later. They just weren't in the mood for something that was about as far as you could get from puppies, rainbows, and cute aliens.
And I present as Exhibit 'B': Blade Runner. People wanted feel good entertainment overall, and before you point to Poltergeist, while certainly scary, the ending is upbeat.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
And I present as Exhibit 'B': Blade Runner. People wanted feel good entertainment overall, and before you point to Poltergeist, while certainly scary, the ending is upbeat.

Poltergeist really isn't/wasn't (ever) that scary anyway. And Blade Runner was probably too much of a dreary, melancholic slow burn (and yes, w/ no upbeat ending/closure) for most people's expectations/desires for sci-fi/fantasy, especially back then...

_Man_

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Upbeat? It’s like some of the scariest 15 minutes of all time. And how does it all end? Family loses their home and are crowding into a single room at a Holiday Inn with a completely uncertain future.

Poltergeist also had some unsettling gore/gross effects

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Upbeat? It’s like some of the scariest 15 minutes of all time. And how does it all end? Family loses their home and are crowding into a single room at a Holiday Inn with a completely uncertain future.

Poltergeist also had some unsettling gore/gross effects
The tree eating the kid is one of my earliest nightmare-inducing scary moments of film.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Poltergeist really isn't/wasn't (ever) that scary anyway.

You must have seen a different cut than I did. I was mid 20's and scared the crap out of me almost as much as teh original Halloween. Those were about my upper limits back then.

Upbeat ending only really in teh sense that the family was all alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks