What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thing (1982) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I first saw John Carpenter's take on The Thing (From Another World) late in June of 1982, projected in 70mm at Gomillion Studios in Hollywood, and the presentation was amazing.

This is one of those film (now in DTS-X) that will clean the lint from one's speaker system, especially in low-frequency passages.

Imagery on Universal's new 4, is wonderful, with nicely resolved imagery, and white whites.

A welcome upgrade from the earlier Blu-ray(s).

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-X)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is one of those film (now in DTS-X) that will clean the lint from one's speaker system, especially in low-frequency passages.
I'm intrigued. Many films from this time period like to tease, but in the end don't deliver much aural pleasure.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'm intrigued. Many films from this time period like to tease, but in the end don't deliver much aural pleasure.

Fidelity of the track is excellent.

It's funny, the DTS:X mix has a couple of really good overhead effects right at the beginning (the spaceship and a helicopter flyover), and then... Well, that's it. The movie doesn't really offer any opportunity for overhead effects after that.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Surprised there doesn’t seem to be more discussion about this, but I am now watching the 4K BD on this. And I noticed something that I never noticed before. In the shot right after Macready pulls the fire alarm and all the others are getting up at the request of the flamethrower, do we actually see Copper’s junk?

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Surprised there doesn’t seem to be more discussion about this, but I am now watching the 4K BD on this. And I noticed something that I never noticed before. In the shot right after Macready pulls the fire alarm and all the others are getting up at the request of the flamethrower, do we actually see Copper’s junk?
Oddly enough, I'm not as surprised.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think there's not much discussion about it because they finally got it right. There's not much else to say.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally watched this tonight and I thought the presentation was gorgeous. Vibrant colors, great sound. I can’t compare it to the Blu-ray (never got) but it’s obviously head and shoulders above the DVD. Every 40 year old movie should look this good.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
This is a “Weekend Deal” at Gruv.com (Universal’s on-line store) for $13.99. You get a 20% discount with code WEENHAP20. Shipping is free.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Looks like Fathom will be bringing The Thing back to theaters next month for its 40th anniversary. FORTY YEARS!!!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I would think this film would really work well in a theater.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I would think this film would really work well in a theater.
I saw this theatrically when I was 12, with only a few other people in the theater, and it blew my mind. I saw it again theatrically in 2000 or 2001 at the Egyptian with a sold out crowd of die hard fans. I sat in the front row, the screen was huge, and it was better than I remembered from 18-19 years earlier.

I'm looking forward to seeing this again on the big screen.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Saw this film at a "preview" in Manhattan, at the Kips Bay Theater if I remember correctly, at midnight before it came out. It was the summer of ET pablum. Bleh.
No one had any idea what to expect and everything had been kept pretty tight (much easier back then with no internet). People in the theater were SCREAMING. Saw one person lose their dinner. Lots of walkouts at the chest chomping scene. It was great!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Saw this film at a "preview" in Manhattan, at the Kips Bay Theater if I remember correctly, at midnight before it came out. It was the summer of ET pablum. Bleh.
No one had any idea what to expect and everything had been kept pretty tight (much easier back then with no internet). People in the theater were SCREAMING. Saw one person lose their dinner. Lots of walkouts at the chest chomping scene. It was great!
I love “The Thing” and I also love “E.T.”. Pablum, it is not, IMHO.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I’m not a big fan of post1965 horror, but I’ve always liked this. It maintains a great tension all the way through. It’s my favorite john carpenter film and kurt russell starring role

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Was a finalist in the Fangoria "Draw The Thing" contest and still have my button and name in the magazine. Saw it opening weekend and kept laughing in wonder at the efx. I could tell the audience hated the ending and then Siskel/Ebert told America not to go see it (can we acknowledge Ebert was a terrible critic although a lovely person?). Even as a 15 year old I knew this should have come out in the fall and witout that terrible parka monster ad that helped kill it over the superior "Man is the warmest place to hide" early ads.

I saw it on 35mm with a print from Universal last night and if you want an informal comparison, I found the 35mm frame shorter (could be the screen, etc.) but much darker and that could be the screen/projector tho it did look great on the big screen while the 4k is much wider and lighter -- look at that jacket -- and it definitely shows in this scene.
1660673638987.png
1660673654831.png

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Was a finalist in the Fangoria "Draw The Thing" contest and still have my button and name in the magazine. Saw it opening weekend and kept laughing in wonder at the efx. I could tell the audience hated the ending and then Siskel/Ebert told America not to go see it (can we acknowledge Ebert was a terrible critic although a lovely person?). Even as a 15 year old I knew this should have come out in the fall and witout that terrible parka monster ad that helped kill it over the superior "Man is the warmest place to hide" early ads.

I saw it on 35mm with a print from Universal last night and if you want an informal comparison, I found the 35mm frame shorter (could be the screen, etc.) but much darker and that could be the screen/projector tho it did look great on the big screen while the 4k is much wider and lighter -- look at that jacket -- and it definitely shows in this scene.
View attachment 148814 View attachment 148815

The framing on the 35mm projection is way off. They need to set up their plates and lenses properly.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
The framing on the 35mm projection is way off. They need to set up their plates and lenses properly.
I assumed there must be something in the projection. I'm going to let them know as they are great film print fans at the theater. Although I think the shadows on the backs of the crew are more reflective of how it should look than the bright 4k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks