What's new

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Which is why I just cut/paste when I feel it makes sense.

I've written more than 9000 reviews since 1999. Maybe someone else could come up with 9000+ different ways to describe picture/sound quality, but I can't.

And if I'm just gonna use the same terms anyway, why not just copy prior comments from another review?

I don't cut/paste movie comments from one review to another - not unless it's literally the same movie, of course - so my remarks for each film are "original", though my own stock phrases infiltrate those as well.

But reusing PQ and SQ comments from old reviews makes like a little easier - as long as I remember to change the titles of the movies involved! :D
I usually don't copy anything from the audio/video sections of older reviews, but I'm more than guilty of repeating the same stock phrases no matter how hard that I try not to!

What I do copy is specific disc details, especially when it's the same label. For example, I'm currently working on an Umbrella "Sunburnt Screens" title, and I usually copy the disc details from a previous review that I did, changing the title, number, rating classification, and any other minor details that are different. In that case, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. But I am paranoid that I'll miss something that ends up slipping through. Don't think that it's happened yet, knock wood, but it's only a matter of time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I usually don't copy audio/video comments, but I'm more than guilty of repeating some of my stock phrases anyway!
"It's got a good beat and you can dance to it." :D

(One may need to be a certain age to get the reference: This was often the stock response on the old American Bandstand TV show when Dick Clark would ask the audience their thoughts about a new song.)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"It's got a good beat and you can dance to it." :D

(One may need to be a certain age to get the reference: This was often the stock response on the old American Bandstand TV show when Dick Clark would ask the audience their thoughts about a new song.)

As an aside, I'd love to know how often anyone actually said that phrase or a close variant.

Could be a cliche that wasn't really used that much!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That seals it, I’m just waiting on a price drop before buying this disc. :laugh:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
As an aside, I'd love to know how often anyone actually said that phrase or a close variant.

You're bringing back memories of a certain publication, with a publisher/editor who was prone to using the same stock phrases, over and over again:

"Seventies filmmaking"
"Undistinguished mono"
"Not using the full palette available to filmmakers"

And many, many more, including one portmanteau that he went to the trouble of trademarking.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You're bringing back memories of a certain publication, with a publisher/editor who was prone to using the same stock phrases, over and over again:

"Seventies filmmaking"
"Undistinguished mono"
"Not using the full palette available to filmmakers"

And many, many more, including one portmanteau that he went to the trouble of trademarking.

Tooze-isms anyone?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I can validate it was said a lot. I was a frequent watcher and the dancers were typical teens. I wouldn’t have done any better.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
That’s what I was thinking - Laserdisc Newsletter. Doug Pratt, a terrific gentleman.

I’m thinking “big, fat, mono.”
"Big fat mono" was indeed another one of these phrases, but in this case, I was referring to Gary Reber. And he did actually copyright his invented word "holosonic."

But yes, Doug Pratt was da bomb!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
That’s what I was thinking - Laserdisc Newsletter. Doug Pratt, a terrific gentleman.

I’m thinking “big, fat, mono.”

Before the advent of internet reviews, I used to read that publication cover to cover! Mr. Pratt's reviews cost me way more money (when adjusted for inflation) than even yours do!!!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
"Big fat mono" was indeed another one of these phrases, but in this case, I was referring to Gary Reber. And he did actually copyright his invented word "holosonic."

But yes, Doug Pratt was da bomb!
Still is!
IMG_7819.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I suppose all current disc-based media are technically "laser" discs. ;)

True enough -- and that occurred to me too. Maybe they could just drop the DVD part and go back to Laser Discs alone, except slightly modified (vs the original LD format name) to encompass all laser-based optical disc formats, hehheh...

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
True enough -- and that occurred to me too. Maybe they could just drop the DVD part and go back to Laser Discs alone, except slightly modified (vs the original LD format name) to encompass all laser-based optical disc formats, hehheh...

_Man_

I've got a site with "DVD" in the name and haven't changed it.

Just too late in the game to do so, IMO. Whatever name brand attachment the site has comes as "DVDMG", and even though actual DVD reviews = maybe 3% of what I review, I think I'm stuck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks